3DMark03 PS2.0 IQ comparison: R300(6307) vs NV31(4300/4345)

Luminescent said:
However, wouldn't keeping integer hardware alongside fp be a step in the right direction?

Are you suggesting that IHV have an unlimited numbers of transitors to burn? ;)

Luminescent said:
Is it because integer will see no more use after fp is widespread enough in the 3D arena; because transistors would be more well spent optimizing for fp ability/performance?

Well you got the answer right there. And if ATI can pull it off with R300 (and RV350 and R350) others can do it as well. :arrow: So no, I think don't there's any magic involved, just pure math and making the right decisions. ;)

andypski said:
Why not make an architecture that has enough floating point power to run legacy applications well? Then your modern applications also benefit from the power that you placed into floating point processing without any need to resort to hand-waving and playing games with calculation precision. I think that 9700 has proved beyond doubt that you can run legacy applications quickly through a well designed floating point pipeline.

does that include 16bit AA?

Yes. The R300 has no serious issues running 16Bit AA with the newer Catalyst drivers.

differences between the DX9 SDK reference rasterizer and the r300

1) where wood base hit floor the shadow is more to the right ... rather minimal but reference and both nv drivers have it in exact same place it seems
otherwise its basically the same
(yes that was nitpicking lol)

nv31 driver revs...

could it be this "dull lighting" issue is a light not being rendered or being substituted for a quicker to process one ? i pose this question with much ignorance as prob shows ;)
it just seems on that wooden base that the way the light catches the rim(meaning the highest part of the base) that its like a light is missing from affecting that one object
the problem is the pesky animals dont seem affected so doing it for some objects only ?
actually i take that back ;) the texturing of animals is much more the same in 43 vs reference and in 43.45 they change
number of lights always kills performance i see in benches but maybe not enough for such gains?

sonix666 said:
The animals are exactly the same for the eye except:

However, the animals are almost indistinguishable for the eye when flipping between the images fast. So if nVidia is cheating, then they are doing it very well. ;)

hmm yes apart from the lighjting on the wooden base its certainly quite decent looking... whatever trick they use.... the simple way to deal with it is surely as a driver *optional* optimisation... not exactly the first one.... it seems common enough to have setting along the lines of
blah blah feature.... set it to the left for faster less quality/ to the right for more quality but slower.....

as new games came along and u werent getting the speed u need u might decide its a worthwwhile compromise.... nothing too wrong with a bit of choice....

of course its a nightmare from a "standards" point of view ;) but what do nvidia care about that.... nothing if they have to soldier on with that architecture for 1.5 years <GULP!>

BRiT said:
Yes. The R300 has no serious issues running 16Bit AA with the newer Catalyst drivers.

hmmm thanks for that
best place for me to recheck on the issue ?
i tried looking on the rage3d forum a little while ago but was a bit hard finding things.... it seemed like it was a quick hack to force things to 32 bit and some games still had problems....
i really do hope they have sorted it tho.... it would definately bar me from their cards otherwise

Back