3DMark03 PS2.0 IQ comparison: R300(6307) vs NV31(4300/4345)

Zephyr

Newcomer
R300(6307)

pic00660_6307.PNG

NV31(43.00) provided by cho (gzeasy.com)

pic00660_4300.PNG

NV31(43.45) provided by cho (gzeasy.com)

pic00660_4345.PNG

IMHO, it is possible that NV3x use tricks (FX instead of FP) in 43.45. BTW, NV3x's 12bit subpixel precison does show its power.

Interesting, though I don't know the significance of some of the differences I was able to see (by d/l'ing the images and flipping thru them using IRFanView).

1. 43.00 has some very visible errors in the wooden base and background.
2. 43.00 and 43.75 seem to render the animals the same, while ATi shows a noticably "grittier" texture.
3. 43.00 and ATi show the same dynamic range, far greater than that of 43.75 (just look at the base).
4. Does the ATi card have AA on? The animal outlines look less jagged than with the FX.
5. Why do ATi cards render those white dots on these IQ tests? My Xpert 128 did the same with the zebra or whatever in 3DM01SE. :)

Zephyr, I'm guessing you meant INT when you said FX?

Pete said:
Interesting, though I don't know the significance of some of the differences I was able to see (by d/l'ing the images and flipping thru them using IRFanView).

1. 43.00 has some very visible errors in the wooden base and background.
2. 43.00 and 43.75 seem to render the animals the same, while ATi shows a noticably "grittier" texture.
3. 43.00 and ATi show the same dynamic range, far greater than that of 43.75 (just look at the base).
4. Does the ATi card have AA on? The animal outlines look less jagged than with the FX.
5. Why do ATi cards render those white dots on these IQ tests? My Xpert 128 did the same with the zebra or whatever in 3DM01SE. :)

Zephyr, I'm guessing you meant INT when you said FX?

Terrible :oops: yes, i dont notice that my r300 card has both AA(2x) and AF(2xQ) on :)

R300 only can provide 4 bit subpixel precision.

FX = fixed point

43.00 has some very visible errors in the wooden base and background. But the color of the wooden base is more similar to the ati screenshot.

43.75 The background and the animal are almost identical to the ATI ones, but the wooden base has different lighting

ATI looks to render it in the right way to me, but for the white pixels here and there.

Could someone provide a screen shot without AA and AF?

Edit: change 43.75 with 43.45 typo

woodenbase.gif

NocturnDragon said:
ATI looks to render it in the right way to me, but for the white pixels here and there.

The white pixels are also 'right'.

They are there because he has 2xAA turned on for the 9700 shot.

andypski said:
The white pixels are also 'right'.

They are there because he has 2xAA turned on for the 9700 shot.

Oh yeah i supposed so.. that's why i asked if someone could send a screenshot without AA.
Thanks for the answer

Why is the base so much darker in the NV3X screenshot? Could this be the attribute of 16FP with a limited color range compared to Ati's 24FP?

galperi1 said:
Why is the base so much darker in the NV3X screenshot? Could this be the attribute of 16FP with a limited color range compared to Ati's 24FP?

i think only nvidia known why . :p

Sorry, the reference pic and the ATI pic are wrong. Everyone know's the Nvidia pics show it "the way it's meant to be played". ;)

OpenGL guy said:
jjayb said:
Sorry, the reference pic and the ATI pic are wrong. Everyone know's the Nvidia pics show it "the way it's meant to be played". ;)
Good luck "playing" 3D Mark 2003 ;)

But...... nVidia used to be SO good at "playing" 3DMark 2001....... ;)

OK, the NV31 with 43.00 drivers obviously has some errors that results in cracks between the polygons in the base. I have been flipping fast between the picture of NV31 with 43.45 drivers and the R300 picture.

The animals are exactly the same for the eye except:

1) Some pixels at the outline are different for each card possibly because of a slightly different subpixel detection.

2) A small difference in the texturing of the smaller spot at the butt of the elephant.

3) A small difference in the texturing of a spot on the left of the left ear of the rhino.

Ofcourse the wooden plate is not correctly lighted and does vary quite big in texturing.

However, the animals are almost indistinguishable for the eye when flipping between the images fast. So if nVidia is cheating, then they are doing it very well. ;)

Lets look look at the flip side of things:

6307 drivers, Radeon 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro driver path, 6x AA and 16X AF

pic00385.png

Maybe a better shot at the wood on the base ;).

Does this sound reasonable?

ATI: FP24
43.00: FP16, black dots due to 10-bit mantissa and its poor precision
43.45: I12, low dynamic range due to lack of exponent, but higher precision than FP16
Reference: FP32 because that's what CPU's use

Back