Ps3 Online How It Works

BTW, does it say that Sony still will be charging for the downloaded Demos?

I doubt it. That was just some quirky idea from ken k. only for kiosks in japan IIRC. For what its worth, psp demos are completely free.

THe "real currency" thing isn't a good idea imo for any online service. Using a points system means points can be given via promotions, gift cards, even thorugh games. Real currency means a credit card is required. Sony can't offer the same functionality to those without credit cards (which is how the first iteration of xbox live worked)
Not necessarly, Sony is doing some "Playstation Cards" (gift card if you will) that you can buy in any gaming/electronics store. And I dont see any reason why coupons/gift codes couldnt be given out via emails or to your account on the ps3. I'd rather not deal with a point system, actual currency tells me exactly how much something is and does not deal with "800 points" or "1000 points" for example.

But I agree with your other point, I would like to respond to my messages in-game, and not just know that I have messages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re. dedicated servers..I believe Sony has already provided them in the past for some games already, free (like SOCOM, I think). I would not be surprised if Resistance has dedicated servers making those 40-player games happen. Obviously, though, that's a very game-by-game thing. Some games are fine and dandy with the consoles themselves hosting, but some could do with servers..and obviously given the nature of Sony's online model, they could only provide for their own games.

Here's some old information regarding servers for 3rd parties:

Crucially, the basic service will allow users to play games online - a factor which sets it apart from Microsoft's equivalent free service, Xbox Live Silver, which enables community features and content purchases, but doesn't allow users to play multiplayer online games.
Sony's system will be handing off significantly more control to game publishers, who will be able to run their own game servers as they see fit. Although Sony will be creating a standard infrastructure for the service, with data centres in Asia, North America and Europe, the system will still run over the conventional Internet and publishers will be able to connect their own servers to it.
This opens the possibility that game publishers could charge their own fees for playing games, which is indeed likely to be the case for titles such as massively multiplayer games - a genre which will be well-served by Sony's more "hands-off" approach to the network service, since some MMOG publishers have opined that Microsoft's approach is too restrictive on their business models.
However, Sony is pushing hard for publishers to use the network to generate revenue through selling content, rather than through charging users for multiplayer functionality, and the PlayStation Network Platform is designed from the ground up to support a wide range of content sale and payment methods

That's not a clear as I thought it was. I thought I remembered them saying they would provide actual servers for publishers/developers to host games on, and not just the infrastructure. From the sounds of it 3rd parties can use SCE's "infrastructure" to handle console hosted (peer-to-peer) games or use their own dedicated servers, like you mentioned.

THe "real currency" thing isn't a good idea imo for any online service. Using a points system means points can be given via promotions, gift cards, even thorugh games. Real currency means a credit card is required. Sony can't offer the same functionality to those without credit cards (which is how the first iteration of xbox live worked)

Not quite, one can imagine a system where one can purchase a Sony card at a retail outlet for 20$, enter a code in your account and to deposit that 20$ credit. Hence, obviating the need for a credit card.

I find that the real currency idea is great as publishers won't be able to hide behind the points system.

Bah! beaten by bad_boy. :)

Why does real currency mean a credit card is required? These kinds of pre-paid cards are available in everyday service such as public transports which don't have "points".
scea07.jpg

LOL, beaten by 2!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does real currency mean a credit card is required? These kinds of pre-paid cards are available in everyday service such as public transports which don't have "points".
scea07.jpg

Think of it as a PS3 online top-up card, working and functioning like a mobile phone swipe card.

Sounds great that ps1, ps2 and psp games can be downloaded. Though, don't like this phrasing:

PSone and PS2 classics you missed out on, as well as a selection of PSP games, from the PlayStation Store, and download them directly to your PS3.

I'm guessing only a few game will be available?

It would be totally awesome though if you can play the psp game on the ps3. Will probably never happen though.

What is so hard about setting up and maintaining an online service? It’s basically an instant messaging system on steroids. This is not rocket science. Maybe the simple things are the hardest to pull off. I don’t know.

Let’s see if Sony can pull it off, don’t count your chickens yet. If they do I see the end game as beneficial for all, for the reasons Scooby mentioned earlier.

There's no relationship between the format the currency is displayed in and the methods of payment available. You can just as easily buy a $5 card to add $5 to your account. Sony has event run promotions like this on Connect, and they certainly don't use 'points' on Connect.

Just as an aside, I really hope the store is more thought out than Connect...

Also not being able to check messages while in game is a bad thing. If they can use resources to notify you of a message they should be capable of letting you read them. Another thing, what about voice support?

Yeah, that's an omission. Ideally you should be able to read the message you are being sent and respond. If they are bringing up a notification window that a message was received, one would think they could go the extra yard and show the actual message. Perhaps they are short on time and will address this in an update.

Well, while I wouldn't necessarily read that into that particular wording, they can't just put the entire catalogue online at once. Redistributing PS2/PS1 games online would require them to negotiate with each publisher to get their games on the service, for example.

Qroach said:

I'm not sure why you'd think this is the case. This is easily doable (in fact it's done with Connect).

Yeah, that's an omission. Ideally you should be able to read the message you are being sent and respond. If they are bringing up a notification window that a message was received, one would think they could go the extra yard and show the actual message. Perhaps they are short on time and will address this in an update.

This must be the case, because they were showcasing that very functionality earlier this year.

Using the mention of community as another segue, Harrison presented several slides that showed the interface of the PSNP. Using the PS3 game Formula 1 as a backdrop, he showed how up to three simultaneous video chat windows could pop up during gameplay via a minimalist, translucent heads-up display (HUD). Later slides showed how a player could send messages, check e-mail, scour friends lists, and send game requests all while in-game--and all using the same translucent HUD architecture.

Here's hoping they add it later.

Sounds great that ps1, ps2 and psp games can be downloaded. Though, don't like this phrasing:

I'm guessing only a few game will be available?

It would be totally awesome though if you can play the psp game on the ps3. Will probably never happen though.

Maybe the size of some games could become an issue in making then available online. Games like Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsistence, God of War and a couple of others were released on dual layer DVD´s, so it would be a pain to offer them for download.

Maybe the size of some games could become an issue in making then available online. Games like Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsistence, God of War and a couple of others were released on dual layer DVD´s, so it would be a pain to offer them for download.

Yah, figured that after i submitted. Or somebody at gaf mentioned that the games available would be limited to greatest hits release. It would just be cool to have the entire Silent Hill and Metal Gear collection under 1 console. Sounds very enticing.

My guess would be those libraries I mentioned earlier are not complete in some versions of the SDKs, or SCE has been selective about who it gives online details to as they finalize everything. As you've probably noticed, the majority of noise, thus far, for PS3 online games has been for SCE published titles (regardless of the developer). From recent interviews, it seems as though some publishers are just waiting for final details and confirmation. I would except some of the bigger publishers like EA to get the details and support they need just in time for launch.

Yes. Knowing Sony, I think they were late. Insomniac probably developed a completely independent online system that they can hook onto Sony's system in the last minute, but others may have held off hoping they wouldn't have to do a lot themselves. Yet others will have relied on 3rd party online systems and link up at the last minute to Sony's system. There's a reason why we're getting to see it only now, and I don't think it's only being kept a secret so that Microsoft can't catch up in the last minute ...

I'm not sure why you'd think this is the case. This is easily doable (in fact it's done with Connect).

connect is a different kind of service. Connect is more like Itunes if I recall correctly or somehting along those lines. Dealing with real currency just adds more things you have to deal with. You deal with currency in differnt markets and carrying that currency across market? Say you're in Europe and you want to buy something that was approved and released by SCEA. I'm guessing you can't cross boarders with this system since each region has a different set of certification rules, currency, and laws regarding credit transactions. think you get around most of this by using points.

Anyway I think the points system is more simple for the average consumer. People see the price of something and even if it's cheap they get scared away. You see something for $10.99 or 800 points and it takes the fright away from using that credit card.

connect is a different kind of service. Connect is more like Itunes if I recall correctly or somehting along those lines. Dealing with real currency just adds more things you have to deal with. You deal with currency in differnt markets and carrying that currency across market? Say you're in Europe and you want to buy something that was approved and released by SCEA. I'm guessing you can't cross boarders with this system since each region has a different set of certification rules, currency, and laws regarding credit transactions. think you get around most of this by using points.

You can't. On a basic level, each region still has distinct issues with censorship and ratings etc. Live's marketplace is segregated by region, I believe (?) At least I've seen references made by people to certain content being available in Japan or whatever and not in the other regions, at least temporarily.

You can't. On a basic level, each region still has distinct issues with censorship and ratings etc. Live's marketplace is segregated by region, I believe (?) At least I've seen references made by people to certain content being available in Japan or whatever and not in the other regions, at least temporarily.

it is segmented by region on xbox live, but anyone can access any region by creating a new login.

Anyway I think the points system is more simple for the average consumer. People see the price of something and even if it's cheap they get scared away. You see something for $10.99 or 800 points and it takes the fright away from using that credit card.

No, you still have to deal with local tax regulations no matter what form of payment you use. Again, I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for you. Every buy something on Amazon with points (hint, they don't have points)? Frankly, it's more work to create a fake currency. From the sound of it, they are probably just reusing a lot of their existing infrastructure with Connect.

let me reprhase that. They say that ovice is in but they didn't see the features demoed. or what you need to make that work (i.e headset). this makes me think it won't have this functionality right at the start.

That part that seemed contradictory to me was the messaging while in game. they say you will be able to do it in an update but they didn't include it now so that OS/processing time isn't taken away from the game? That's some odd reasoning.

What exactly is "in game"? In that IGN video they had up clearly showed that while playing Untold Legends, they can hit the PS button on the controller to pause it and the XMedia Bar came up with all it's options. Could you just view messages doing that?

Back