No IR on the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though really, PS3 ought to be voice and sight activated if they don't want to appear last-millenium.

I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, I'd have to actually agree with that. Would have been a great feature, much like an EyeToy being bundled in for a "Minority Report" style interface. "Gimmicky" stuff like that, if well implemented, can really be a product differentiator. Much like Rev's Weather Channel, which I find to be a really attractive feature (strange, I know). Oh well..

In all honestly I do feel kind of let down there's not a deeper level of interaction with the interface other than the controller. But that's mainly due to my silly imagination. *sighs* Reality sets in again. :p

EDIT

LB beat me to the punch. :p

Actually, its Sony's because now you already have 2 people on this thread alone that wont take it seriously as a primary BR player. If no solution comes up, HT enthusiasts who buy 500-600 pieces of gear will be turned off by this.

You shouldn't assume. It still has a remote that they can buy. ;)

What Bluetooth agenda?? The Bluetooth Fairy will reward them if they use Bluetooth radio waves instead of Infrared?
Come on, the decision was probaly dictated by the fact that PS3 already has Bluetooth capabilities and putting yet another thing in there just for the remote, when Bluetooth is just fine, would have been a bit silly...

...To Sony, those people will just have to deal with it. If they feel they just cannot live with TWO remotes in their living room, then they won't buy PS3, and Sony will have lost a very, VERY small percentage of people who think this is actually worth missing out on a PS3 just because of this. Don't see it happening, people who want a PS3 will buy it, and if it means they have another remote in their living room, they will go "Oh well..." and forget about it soon after.

And i'm telling you that it would only be a pain for you and a few others. You will get over it, the others will get over it.

See... The why is not really important. They obviously have enough receivers and enough hardware in PS3 already without putting an IR thing there (which i'm sure you can plug in the USB eventually, making your universal remote more likely to work, rendering this whole discussion useless), which would have been silly when Bluetooth is already and more than capable of taking care of that.
That's why. The thousands of people with one remote in their living room will have to deal with the "pain" of having a second remote. All the other millions of people with 5 remotes in their living room will just put it there and forget about it the rest of the day until they have to go watch a Bluray/DVD movie.

EDITED THE POST, it was a bit too bitchy.

THIS is the edited, 'non-bitchy' version?!?! :oops: ;)

The point is, why should I (or Sis, or NucNav, or Wibble) have to 'deal with' or 'get over' anything? So Sony could save a quarter on an IR receiver? For such a small cost, why not make everyone happy? For those affected, its a stupid decision. You're not affected, so i dont expect you to care.

Having a 2nd remote IS a nuisance, especially when youve got a wife and kids that use the system: "No you use THIS one to turn everything on and THIS one to control the PS3, but THIS one to control the cable box and....".

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought it was hilarious when he mentioned that some people would have to have, *gasp*, wait for it, TWO REMOTES! :LOL: I'm still laughing about that. Its just darn good comedy. :LOL: I have not seen his setup but I imagine by how serious he is taking this "news" that it is extremely extensive (and expensive). I also have no objection to his objection about IR not being included. My main point was in regards to the effect on Sony and SCE from a business perspective, which I completely disagreed with. I just couldn't miss out on the opportunity to poke fun at him (and others) too, is all. :p

Two remotes! :LOL:

Though I hope no one took offense to that.
You have no idea, man; these remotes, you get more than a couple together and they get in groups? They start to talk? They start to talk about, you know, possibly unionizing?

That's when you better know where you're daughter is, 'cause the remotes will come after her. Then the wife.

Then it's you, pal.

Don't say we didn't try to warn you.

THIS is the edited, 'non-bitchy' version?!?! :oops: ;)

Ermmm.... yeah...? :oops: ;)

The point is, why should I (or Sis, or NucNav, or Wibble) have to 'deal with' or 'get over' anything? So Sony could save a quarter on an IR receiver? For such a small cost, why not make everyone happy? For those affected, its a stupid decision. You're not affected, so i dont expect you to care.

Well we have been discussing for months and years "Why didn't Sony/MS/Nintendo do XXX for such a small cost to make everyone happy??!". It's one of those things. Priorities take over and they ahve to make decisions every day on every single little thing. IR was obviously not such a huge point of discussion for them.

Having a 2nd remote IS a nuisance, especially when youve got a wife and kids that use the system: "No you use THIS one to turn everything on and THIS one to control the PS3, but THIS one to control the cable box and....".

For you, you will just have "Hey baby, so, this it the remote for the PS3, and this is the remote for everything else!"... Come on, can't be that hard.

Me instead, i will have discussions of this variety "Ok so, follow me, this one is for the PS3, you know to watch movies and stuff, this is the controller to the PS3, no darling it's not a remote, this one if for when you play games... this one is for the TV, this one for the surround sound, this one for Sky, this one is the telephone darling, you use it to talk to people, this one is my mobile, and no you can't check my messages, this one is YOUR mobile, this one is for the DVD recorder..."

I wouls understand if I was saying that it's a nuisance, but you!?? You have TWO :devilish:

You have no idea, man; these remotes, you get more than a couple together and they get in groups? They start to talk? They start to talk about, you know, possibly unionizing?

That's when you better know where you're daughter is, 'cause the remotes will come after her. Then the wife.

Then it's you, pal.

Don't say we didn't try to warn you.

:LOL: :LOL:

*slowly glances over at his remotes*

I wouls understand if I was saying that it's a nuisance, but you!?? You have TWO :devilish:

You know, I think maybe we're both slightly jealous of expletive and the others who have but One remote to rule them all, while we battle with (and have to train others on) many, many more. This is probably where the hilariousness ensues when we hear complaints of TWO REMOTES! :LOL:

I'm tempted to make that my sig for a day or two. :D

Ermmm.... yeah...? :oops: ;)

:LOL:

Well we have been discussing for months and years "Why didn't Sony/MS/Nintendo do XXX for such a small cost to make everyone happy??!". It's one of those things. Priorities take over and they ahve to make decisions every day on every single little thing. IR was obviously not such a huge point of discussion for them.

Well I solemly swear to call out every other bonehead decision that affects me by the other two as well. Now where were we.... ;)

For you, you will just have "Hey baby, so, this it the remote for the PS3, and this is the remote for everything else!"... Come on, can't be that hard.

Me instead, i will have discussions of this variety "Ok so, follow me, this one is for the PS3, you know to watch movies and stuff, this is the controller to the PS3, no darling it's not a remote, this one if for when you play games... this one is for the TV, this one for the surround sound, this one for Sky, this one is the telephone darling, you use it to talk to people, this one is my mobile, and no you can't check my messages, this one is YOUR mobile, this one is for the DVD recorder..."

Perhaps I could fly you in to NJ to have that discussion with my wife?

I would understand if I was saying that it's a nuisance, but you!?? You have TWO :devilish:

Two is WAY less elegant than 1. It's not even half as elegant, two is like 20% as elegant as one. Seriously. :)

Two is WAY less elegant than 1. It's not even half as elegant, two is like 20% as elegant as one. Seriously. :)

Not too mention the worst part with multiple remotes: you come home and your TV is on the wrong input, your receiver is now outputting only the Xbox, your sound volumes are completely rerranged, and the remote is set to "Satellite", as if that was the trick to getting it to work.

Well then what would you do with the Wiimote? ;)

That would be THREE. I don't think your household could take the pressure of having not one, not two (which is already less than half as elegant than having one, and according to recent reports as low as 20%), but THREE (3) remotes in your living room? Plus it's a remote that's made of more than 1 part!

I feel for you, it will tear your family apart.

;)

Why can't you do like Sigorney Weaver and ducktape the two devices together? That'd give a radical, hard-core, semi-industrial edge to the deisgn and create a virtual single-remote unit. The design cred alone should give a +15% to elegance, and with a wide choice of tape colours, you could maybe push that higher by coordinating with your decor.

Why can't you do like Sigorney Weaver and ducktape the two devices together? That'd give a radical, hard-core, semi-industrial edge to the deisgn and create a virtual single-remote unit. The design cred alone should give a +15% to elegance, and with a wide choice of tape colours, you could maybe push that higher by coordinating with your decor.

And you can have a flashlight in there too! For those emergencies that are bound to happen!

And you can have a flashlight in there too! For those emergencies that are bound to happen!

I better not see either of you having anything negative to say about the functionality or aesthetic value of an HD-DVD 'add ons'! I'm watching you both! ;)

On a (slightly) more serious note, there was a point in my early days where i did have 2 remotes back to back with velcro because it was my only option! Guess what, it was fugly! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I better not see either of you having anything negative to say about the functionality or aesthetic value of an HD-DVD 'add ons'! I'm watching you both! ;)
Well if MS want to duck-tape the HDDVD drive onto the XB360, I wouldn't have anything to complain about!

You know, the original posts weren't making a big deal of this at all - they were purely to let people know of a minor issue they might have with their shiny new PS3, and discuss solutions. Not involving duct tape.

It's not our fault you're all peasants... You may mock us, with our crazy single remote ways, but we'll the ones laughing as you trek outside in the pouring rain to visit your outside lavatory, wiping your bum on a sheaf of last weeks lottery tickets...

:p

About the controllers...

What my friend did to their controllers was get a big plastic cutting board and made holes in it and wire-tied all his remotes to it.

Granted it's not the best looking thing specially when it clashes and sticks out so much like a sore thumb in his otherwise very high-tech entertainment area...

It seems to do the trick

and it's quite hard to lose an item that big.

I did suggest... if he had time to paint the cutting board black.

This isn't any kind of news at all. No IR port has ever been shown, or even mentioned in conjunction with PS3. I hope people won't start screaming and bitching-
...Nah. Who am I kidding? Of course they will. :-? After all, Sony's teh dev!l.

lol, you personally have no grounds to accuse other people of excessive 'bitching' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back