GeForce4 Launch Details

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
Guys,

I've just updated our GF4 tech preview article with the details I gained from the recent Euro GF4 launch - theres a few nuggest in there that you may find interesting.

See it here.

There may be a few surprise configurations with these products as I have been quietly informed that both GeForce4 variants are scalable, in a fashion similar to the SLI technology used by 3dfx’s VSA-100 chip.

Interesting...

I'm curious as to what speed of DDR will be on the Ti4200 boards, since if the chip is anything like the Ti200s were it'll be quite the overclocker.

I'm very interested in the 4200 as well. I can't imagine anyone wanting a MX460 when the Ti4200 will be so close in price. Seems that the 4200 and MX440 will be the volume chips of this release.

edit: Good grief, can you imagine how big a SLI Ti4600 board would be, considering how big the single chip board already is???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Prime on 2002-02-11 03:19 ]</font>

Qunatum have been using a supply of VSA-100's they have for their multi-chip products, but NVIDIA products are probably primarily used when a single card is all that is required. Quantum3D already sold various configurations with NVIDIA cards in even before 3dfx went under.

Ahh ok. Stating the obvious here, but I would imagine its primarly to compete with ATI's FireGL card and to supply Quantum3d with technology.

I wonder if NVIDIA has a final reference PCB already designed for a multi-chip setup, or if they would be leaving that work to the board maker.

I would love to take a peek at one hehe.

On 2002-02-11 06:50, JavaJones wrote:
Hmmm. 2 chip "XBox Arcade" machine? I think that would compete *quite* nicely with Naomi 2. :D

- JavaJones

Yikes! Never gave that one thought. Very interesting idea there...

From this pic you could get the idea that NV is stopping the GF2/3, but this ....shows that they still have the GF3 TI200 and the GF2MX (and of course the TNT2M64)

I suspect that second link showing the GeForce3 is out of date. You'll notice the second pdf that shows the GeForce3 Ti-200 as part of the line-up, does not show a GeForce4 Ti-4200 on there at all.

Someone at nVidia must have decided that ATI would have owned the (probably lucrative) $200 price bracket if it was the GeForece3 Ti vs. the Radeon 8500. So nVidia decided to scrap the GeForce3 entirely, and introduce a "low end" GeForce4 Ti instead.

Back