I hate my job

linthat22

Regular
Okay folks here's the story. I quit a job I held for 5 years to do something different, because I felt like I was in a rut and not going anywhere. Now, in my new job, I find out that I hate (yes, I know, it's a strong word) the people I work for and with and don't know what to do.

My wife tells me that I ultimately won't be happy until I start my own business.

*sigh* I am going back to school though to get my bachelors and I thought I could stick it out in the place that I'm at, but it's like pulling teeth going in there every freekin' day.

Aside from the usual "Find another job" advice, do ya'll have any other?

Well, hard to say really since we have no clue of your finicial situation and how important a job right now is for you. I'd say certainly go for more education, and if you can find a job that is a bit better for you.

Okay folks here's the story. I quit a job I held for 5 years to do something different, because I felt like I was in a rut and not going anywhere. Now, in my new job, I find out that I hate (yes, I know, it's a strong word) the people I work for and with and don't know what to do.

My wife tells me that I ultimately won't be happy until I start my own business.

*sigh* I am going back to school though to get my bachelors and I thought I could stick it out in the place that I'm at, but it's like pulling teeth going in there every freekin' day.

Well, "stick to that job" would be the other alternative ?

Dependend on your country and age you could try to opt to get subvention for sutdying from the state. Worked/still works for me as I was below 27 back then and my parents are poor, but then I dont have a wife or a car so I can somewhat live with that money.

Before that I spent an insane amount for a useless IT-course because I thought it would help getting a job there... basically just needed a paper to show my skills which I teached myself long ago. (have no finished higher education, but started coding in the age of 8 ). Dont go that route, university or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, that's a tough one isn't it? If you didn't burn all your bridges, there's always the chance that the folks who liked you well enough to keep you for five years might like you back.

But these people you hate. . . . do you hate them because you understand them all too well, or because you don't understand them at all? If the former, you're screwed --leave now. If the latter, maybe you should get to know them better.

I'm in charge of security compliance for my org. on the base. Saw one of the techs getting a few workstations ready for new personnel in-processing into our building and because today was MS's patch day just off-handedly asked if he remembered to run Windows and Office Update so that Tivoli doesn't library the endpoint with vulnerabilities. He said, "what's Office update?" I cried.

I'm in charge of security compliance for my org. on the base. Saw one of the techs getting a few workstations ready for new personnel in-processing into our building and because today was MS's patch day just off-handedly asked if he remembered to run Windows and Office Update so that Tivoli doesn't library the endpoint with vulnerabilities. He said, "what's Office update?" I cried.

I cry when admins don't have a WSUS server :(

you install ms updates as soon as they are released ?
and there was me thinking you were old + wise

Either that or my wing commander hears about how his org isn't 95%+ compliant in a staff meeting. Which means I hear about it, and the old military saying about shit rolling downhill applies. I used to wait until TCNOs were issued and roll out the patches via Tivoli packages, but the Powers That Be are phasing Tivoli out and going back to SMS. Yet guys at my level aren't being granted access to the SMS admin console, so. . . .

I haven't even mentioned my boss. Worst supervisor I've ever encountered. Has gotten to his position through pure sycophantic behavior, which he openly brags about. Worse yet, his mentality is that if you aren't kissing his ass you aren't doing your job. And I don't kiss ass, so I've gone from a valued employee to shit. This guy likes to berate people in front of others. He pulled that on me a few months ago, and after my lovingly crafted e-mail to HR the director of was flown in from D.C. to Dayton to interview everyone. We're all awaiting the results of her report, but even the Malignant Prick (my respectful title for this guy) now expects to be fired because his antics were exposed. Oh, and he's one of the most partisan Republicans I've ever met. . . attended Bush's '04 inauguration. Party loyalty over principles FTW!. If you have principles, that is. His mistress/girlfriend just broke up with him so he's really been pissy lately.

Yes, I hate my job. :p

back on topic, I think one of the things you might try doing is getting to know your co-workers better. It might improve your work time.

epic

stick it out. people suck in general (it's called mainstream). and all of them are unaware of being sheeple (useless to the species). you have to be a libertarian to see that though.

lower your expectations. get an office with a door, do your job, keep the slavoring hordes at a safe distance (no lunches, showers, office parties)...make sure they know to respect that using actual reasoning about people in general.

it's called work, it's why your paid. party with friends (YOU choose) on your OWN time.

if your lucky some of the sheeple will claim to be libertarian too (without really knowing they aren't) and will sympathize (still keep them at bay)

if you're not a libertarian, you're screwed though. a self hating sheeple....nowhere to run.

...but it's like pulling teeth going in there every freekin' day.

I remember a few years ago I had a spreadsheet on my desktop at work. It showed how many days I've been alive. I subtracted 14 years of that, the weekends and a rough number of public and private holidays. I then had a figure titled something like "gah, the amount of f****** mornings I've had to get outta bed and go into work".

The amount of times I opened that doc was an indication of where I was at emotionally and mentally.

(BTW, I'm wasn't a manic/depressive or fruitcake - I feel it's important that faceless entities on an internet forum know that...)

(BTW, I'm wasn't a manic/depressive or fruitcake - I feel it's important that faceless entities on an internet forum know that...)

i suppose it's safe to assume some of the sheeple are keeping score on that account. lol!

just cause the sheeple want to make up, still more, excuses to abuse others, doesn't relieve the REAL humans from their duty to pursue actual truth, rather than pretend truth (fraud)....messy as that is (specially when shlepping those sheeple on one's back)

Back