More RSX tidbits:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can choose to believe me or not; or even flame me more. I still like sharing info regardless of what I’m called. ;)

Well my friend gave me a little bit more details on the RSX capabilities. He stated that a newer version of OpenEXR API format will be specifically geared towards the PS3 RSX and NVIDIA upcoming graphic cards HDR capabilities. He states there’s no GPU capable (pr?) in the consumer market that can handle true 128-bit HDR rendering, except the PS3 and NVIDIA upcoming products. Both Sony and NVIDIA have been working closely with the Lucas Firm on improving film-like effects (consoles, PC, ECT…) for the consumer market.

I always thought the latest NV47 based cards were or had 128-bit (HDR) float-ops? He states the opposite (not really!?). He also reiterates that a Sony/NVIDIA press conference is coming late this October.

Edit: Does anyone remember or have that slide from the PS3 2005 E3 show, dealing with HDR?

Last edited by a moderator:
nAo has already said several times that even if you did have a full 128bit format supporting blending, you would not use it for pixels because it would be a waste.

OpenEXR is just a file format. There is nothing specifically wow or ground breaking about it. It's just nice to have industry standards. And it's just one less thing you have to invent.

nAo has already said several times that even if you did have a full 128bit format supporting blending, you would not use it for pixels because it would be a waste.

OpenEXR is just a file format. There is nothing specifically wow or ground breaking about it. It's just nice to have industry standards. And it's just one less thing you have to invent.

Didn't people say the same thing about PS3 games using/running at the 1080p, being a waste of bandwidth or not being feasible? Now look what’s happening….

My point being developers will choose what they want; even if it’s considered wasteful resources to others. Anyhow, the info I posted may not be ground breaking, its info regardless.

Oh, no.
Not RSX 2.0 again... :rolleyes:

This was debunked ad nauseam on another thread recently, why start spreading unconfirmed rumors yet again ?
At least wait until November. :D

You can choose to believe me or not; or even flame me more. I still like sharing info regardless of what I’m called. ;)

Well my friend gave me a little bit more details on the RSX capabilities. He stated that a newer version of OpenEXR API format will be specifically geared towards the PS3 RSX and NVIDIA upcoming graphic cards HDR capabilities. He states there’s no GPU capable (pr?) in the consumer market that can handle true 128-bit HDR rendering, except the PS3 and NVIDIA upcoming products. Both Sony and NVIDIA have been working closely with the Lucas Firm on improving film-like effects (consoles, PC, ECT…) for the consumer market.

I always thought the latest NV47 based cards were or had 128-bit (HDR) float-ops? He states the opposite (not really!?). He also reiterates that a Sony/NVIDIA press conference is coming late this October.

Edit: Does anyone remember or have that slide from the PS3 2005 E3 show, dealing with HDR?
Did your friend actually see the documents himself?

It sounds to me like the Nvidia documentation contained info on both the G80 and the RSX coming out in November. Have you considered it a possibility that your friend or whoever saw the documentation has confused the G80 specs on the documentation for RSX specs? I believe someone may have been excited about the PS3 and RSX and perhaps saw what they wanted to see. Have you asked your friend about this possibility? This makes the most sense to me.

-aldo

Didn't people say the same thing about PS3 games using/running at the 1080p, being a waste of bandwidth or not being feasible? Now look what’s happening….
There are some differences, though.

* 1080p is 2x the bandwidth; 128 bits/pixel is 4x the bandwidth.
* 1080p is 2x the bandwidth, but it's also 2x from most of the card. 128 bits/pixel is 4x the bandwidth with no increased demand elsewhere.
* 1080p is held to be quite useful by some developers; 128 bits/pixel is not.
* 1080p is the same pixel count that PC games often use; 128 bits/pixel is 2x - 4x the bits/pixel that PC games often use.
* Graphics cards are capable of/meant to do 2 million pixels per screen; they're not designed around reading/writing 128 bits/pixel data.

Now, that's just for main screen storage formats, of course.

How reliable is this guy?

Did your friend actually see the documents himself?

It sounds to me like the Nvidia documentation contained info on both the G80 and the RSX coming out in November. Have you considered it a possibility that your friend or whoever saw the documentation has confused the G80 specs on the documentation for RSX specs? I believe someone may have been excited about the PS3 and RSX and perhaps saw what they wanted to see. Have you asked your friend about this possibility? This makes the most sense to me.

-aldo

He's a 100% sure on what he saw and read.......

As many of you will point out (and you will) that this old pic (below) doesn’t mean anything/nothing. However it does give my friend some validity on what he saw. He claims that the PS3 RSX and NVIDIA upcoming graphic cards HDR capabilities are unmatched.

If I’m not mistaken a EGM article stated that PS3 version of COD 3 will feature better lighting, light sources, ECT…over its other console brethren. If this site permits I can post scan-part of that article later tomorrow.

Found it here, among other old stuff.

012l.JPG

seems like a strange thing to waste die space on to me for a closed box system.

I wont say one bad word about this thread as long as people dont say that Nvidia taped out a new chip a couple months ago or something stupid along those lines. As long as we agree the RSX design was finalized, taped out, and put into production months ago, its fine by me. I have no problem with speculating unique capabilities were added to the chip, just not in a ridiculously small time frame. And certainly not a total architecture overhaul.

To be honest though, no offense, i personally think this thread may cause more harm then good.

1. If you (the OP or anyone else) wants to talk about a cross feature, it may be best to take it up in the "G80" thread where it is an almost certainty that we'll see it.

2. Its going to spin off into another "omgz what if....!" scenerio here in a section of forum that i personally think has enough random speculation and flamboyant high hopes to last it for quite awhile. Basically someones going to say something along the lines of X console is sooo much better based off speculation, then someone else is going to counter, and its going to turn into the usual cycle.

So maybe you'd like to discuss it in the 3D tech section instead? Especially if you want to know what could become possible with the new HDR, not necessarily on a closed box environment.

Considering the confusion around unified architecture and the exceptance of it, the lack of apparent knowledge amongst even Nvidias own PR about coming GPU specs in every interview for over the last year, i would also venture to say your friend is mixing up some notes for the coming events, 2 for Nvidias next card and one Sony event which are all very close together. It would be easy to confuse the two if someone was to skim specs and notes/press packages.

Here is a fact.

The PS3 will not support 128bit frame buffer with blending atleast at any reasonable speed.

He's a 100% sure on what he saw and read.......

As many of you will point out (and you will) that this old pic (below) doesn’t mean anything/nothing. However it does give my friend some validity on what he saw. He claims that the PS3 RSX and NVIDIA upcoming graphic cards HDR capabilities are unmatched.

If I’m not mistaken a EGM article stated that PS3 version of COD 3 will feature better lighting, light sources, ECT…over its other console brethren. If this site permits I can post scan-part of that article later tomorrow.
Higher bit depth HDR would give better IQ, but not greater range unless you have stupid contrast from dingy cave to supernova visible in the same frame! Those example pics are doable in 32bit FP HDR. 128 bit HDR is a waste of resources (assuming that's 128 bit per channel) and even if PS3 can use it, it's a waste. Perhaps, if it gets used, it'll just be for HDR movies? Which again would be stupid as the compression would screw up the benefit of such high resolution colour anyway.

This just makes no sense at all IMO.

Its also a fact, sony USED that picture, who more or less tells PS3 is capable of using 128 bits HDR prescision.

If its not working in any way, could be. I dont judge the RSX and make up my opinion, until i actually gets to sit an READ for myself, detailed specs about it, from a good, accurate source, and not 3. hand info in 2 lines.

Some people here are really desparate to find anything that'd make the PS3 look better, faster, nicer and whatever then the X360...

We have all known that RSX supports 128-bit HDR since the very first announcement at e3 last year. You'll never see it in games, and if you do, it means that the developers really had resources to spare, which should have been put to much better use.
There is no point whatsoever in using 128-bit today, when you need to worry about so many other things before you slow down your game with silly rendering formats, just so you can tick a checkbox.

If Factor5 (and lots more) came out today and said they are using 128bit HDR i'd laugh at them. They need to sort out a lot of other things that are wrong with the look of the game before they go all out on the PR front.

128bit HDR is more of a PR format than it is a real rendering format... 1080p is bad enough...

Some people here are really desparate to find anything that'd make the PS3 look better, faster, nicer and whatever then the X360...
Does anyone use 128bit HDR? I thought even photorealistic CGI used 64 bit. I can't think of any application at all that would benefit.

Lets get this RSX issue settled once and for all. It has been consuming so much of my energy for the last year that I'm sick and tired of the mystery. It's time we put the pieces together and figure this out.

First, lets throw something away. The RSX is not a G80. It's just a modified NV47. There was never a second version of it made in the last couple months. RSX Ver. 2.0 never existed. According to the leaks of information on the internet the RSX has extra texture cache, extra post transform cache, extra or modified shader pathways or instructions, extra texture lookup logic (which is obviously needed), and might have a few other tweaks added in there.

Obviously, the RSX is performing very well to have so many games at 1080P. Also, it's pretty STUNNING to me that Motorstorm looks so amazing without using the HDD to stream data. Evolution Studios has claimed that they are NOT using that with Motorstorm. Additionally, the Blu-ray drive is no faster than the 360's DVD drive at streaming data. So with no streaming data from the HDD, the same data rate from the Blu-ray drive as the 360, and the same or less RAM as the 360 the RSX is making one stunningly amazing looking game. These are a few factors that make me believe the RSX is indeed performing very, very well.

Basically, what can we say about this? Part of this performance obviously comes from the fact the PS3 is a closed system. Also, part of this performance may come from the CELL doing some vertex work in various games and maybe helping in other ways too. But what about the RSX is there that's so freaking mysterious Sony can't tell us?

Even if it's not that amazing there is something unique enough about the RSX (that distingusihes it from the common PC part) that they don't want to tell us about. For example, several developers have bragged about the RSX and said it has unique features and abilities that they would like to say more about, but cannot.

Could some kind of extra built in support for HDR be part of that? Or is it some other feature? Has anyone here who is not a developer seen any information fall through the cracks between the blocks of NDA and would like to share it with the rest of us?

Thanks for your post, agreed, and it's pretty what we've been trying to say for many moons.

If you can set the record straight, and from now on the whole issue will be dropped just from the power of your post, then that means you are a God and we should bow before you. Please do not use your celestial brush on us...

Ok sorry, i think i might be overdosed on Okami...

Lets get this RSX issue settled once and for all.

Easy, post the actual spec sheet and were done.Your post mentions the "little extras added", well how was that done? why only add a little when your already messing around. To much room for speculation and to little hard facts.

Ohh and did everyone expect this thing to do 1080p in launch games that even look good?

I didn´t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back