Shader effects X360 / PS3 (Marvel Alliance) *changed

MixedGuy

Newcomer
"Graphically, the PlayStation 3 version looked the best of the three and sported some interesting distortion and blur effects that were absent from the Xbox 360 and Wii versions. Powerful attacks on the PS3 caused ripples of invisible energy to distort the area around the attack momentarily. When asked why this was absent from the 360 version, a developer told us that it was due to the PS3’s ability to handle shaders differently than what can be done on the 360 or Wii. Both the 360 and PS3 versions made use of impressive lighting techniques, particle effects, hi-res textures, and impressive character models while the Wii looks to be a mild step up from the current-gen efforts; though that is certainly to be expected at this point. Also, the PlayStation 3 version of the game was shown running in 1080p, which looked absolutely incredible and sharp while the Xbox 360 was running at a respectable 720p and the Wii version running at 480p. All three versions supported 16:9 widescreen modes."

http://360.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=8614&pg=1&comments=&preview=
Source^^^

Sounds like the SPE's are either rendering the effects or adding them in a post process.

Or differently as in, unified vs specialized shader's

NOTE : Id change the thread title as it seem's flamebait'ish.

Could be another instance where devs aren't able use the X-GPU unified shaders properly. Might also be tiling issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Value of this news item = zero. Hyperbole percentage = pretty damn high.

Perhaps on the 360 the effect would not be done in the exact same way -- I'm thinking about SPE post-processing here -- but certainly the 360 can do heat haze type effects. And so can the Wii for that matter ...

... because even the Gamecube could. Metroid Prime 1 already featured heat haze rising from the weapon, and a lens distortion around charged shots.

Isn't Prey on the 360? If the PC version is an indication, there's a distortion effect around every single portal in the game ... and there are many ...

Sounds like the SPE's are either rendering the effects or adding them in a post process.

Or differently as in, unified vs specialized shader's

NOTE : Id change the thread title as it seem's flamebait'ish.

I would change it if I knew how.... I didn't mean to make it seem flamebait'ish... Just questioning if PS3 is capable of doing more effects at a time then 360...

Not only is the title risque, but it's those sorts of titles that are pushing question marks into decline. People keeping using question marks like there and endless supply, but once they died out, where will be then? Unable to ask questions, that's where.

If this is going to be a sensible thread, it'd be worth linking in the other comments about Ps3's shader power/functions, so it's not just one spurious remark we're considering but something with some degree of weight of evidence to support.

The particular effects mentioned kinda surprise me. They're something PS2 excels out and I thought it was more a fillrate thing than shader power thing. If the ripples are 3D, appearing behind forward objects, and we guess Cell is performing the effect, that suggests an exported Z buffer used as a mask for a post process warp. That should be performable on Xenos readily enough though.

Not only is the title risque, but it's those sorts of titles that are pushing question marks into decline. People keeping using question marks like there and endless supply, but once they died out, where will be then? Unable to ask questions, that's where.

If this is going to be a sensible thread, it'd be worth linking in the other comments about Ps3's shader power/functions, so it's not just one spurious remark we're considering but something with some degree of weight of evidence to support.

The particular effects mentioned kinda surprise me. They're something PS2 excels out and I thought it was more a fillrate thing than shader power thing. If the ripples are 3D, appearing behind forward objects, and we guess Cell is performing the effect, that suggests an exported Z buffer used as a mask for a post process warp. That should be performable on Xenos readily enough though.

Well as you can see I'm new here and I didn't mean to offend people by making question marks in the title... I'm not super tech savvy so I wouldn't know what PS3s shader functions are... I just skim through this forum and see you guys know your stuff so just wanted to see what your guys views on this was... I've had no problem adding question marks in titles on other forums so I assumed it would be ok on this forum too.. Now that I know everyone hates question marks in titles I wont be using it again on this forum... Sorry...

Now that I know everyone hates question marks in titles I wont be using it again on this forum... Sorry...
Nothing wrong with question marks. Just the number of them. As per the Forum Rules, one punctuation mark is normally enough to get the message across ;)
I'm just being rude. :p

Mr Wibble said:
Two different bits of hardware having different capabilities? Unthinkable!
It's more the fact that the described capability doesn't make much sense when last-gen warp effects were reasonably commonplace. If PS3 has a different capability that enables wobbly-screeness (hardware screen-wobble processing unit built into RSX? The missing transistors explained?) what exactly does this capability do that enables screen-wobblyness where XB360 and Wii can't cope?

Nothing wrong with question marks. Just the number of them. As per the Forum Rules, one punctuation mark is normally enough to get the message across ;)
I'm just being rude. :p

It's more the fact that the described capability doesn't make much sense when last-gen warp effects were reasonably commonplace. If PS3 has a different capability that enables wobbly-screeness (hardware screen-wobble processing unit built into RSX? The missing transistors explained?) what exactly does this capability do that enables screen-wobblyness where XB360 and Wii can't cope?

First it was the Blast Processor..

Then the Emotion Engine...

Today we are happy to reveal the futuristic, revolutionary... Wobbly Rendering!! Graphics will never be the same again!

Lots of Xbox games have the effect, so I don't see the technical argument being a strong one. Even Shadowrun has gratuitous framebuffer distortion effects.

Two different bits of hardware having different capabilities? Unthinkable!

I think the mantra ( insert F#$%nBoies) that the systems are around the same graphical power grid is not the same as PS3 is equal to X360. People need to leave from this boat......

At this stage of development the Wii and 360 versions held a steadier framerate than what was being shown on the PS3, but they are a bit farther along. The Wii and 360 versions were playing off of their test kits while the PS3 was still running on a development kit. Also with the PS3 version running in 1080p it was pushing the engine a bit harder. By release we were told to expect each version to be running at a stable framerate.

Hopefully that will be fixed.

Im guessing the reason can be as simple, as xbox360 edition of the game simply ran out of shader power to actually do motion blur along with the other effects.

Back