Google code search!!!

Are you telling me that I cannot steal your code and make millions of dollars out of it?

Pfft searching for Colourless doesnt produce many meaningful results because colourless seems to be a word used quite a bit in normal code... though a few of the top hits are mine.

If you put files on a public webserver without password protecting them then expect that anyone can access them. If you don't want Google (or search engines) to index the files then create a robots.txt file with appropriate entries.

I know that. The question is if every hobbyist coder is aware of that or want to put in the work to do it. Not everyone wants to configure their server to avoid every kind of possible abuse. For instance anyone could remotely link to any file on my server. I don't really mind if it's fair use. On the other hand, if someone would make a list of all my demos on his site so that one could download directly from there and I provide all the bandwidth but don't get visitors I would mind.

I give out all my code for free anyway, so I don't really mind having it on google search, but as it looks right now I'm somewhat sceptical to whether I'd call it fair use. If for each entry they would provide a link to the site where it comes from then I'd be very positive to have my files in there. Now all files comes directly from their cache or are remotely linked from my site. They can download the file in question, but they can't click anywhere to visit the site that provided the code.

It is dubious to include code with an unknown license. Google code looks like it's a nice trap. That said, I have seen other code indexing sites out there, and have even used them a few times. Google has just made it more public.

Who looks at other people's code anyway unless they are required to maintain it?
Learning from code is stupid. When I need to learn how to implement something I just read up on what I want to implement and make my own decisions from there.

Often a piece of code can tell you everything you need in an instant instead of digging through 50 pages of a tech paper on the subject.

The question is if every hobbyist coder is aware of that or want to put in the work to do it. Not everyone wants to configure their server to avoid every kind of possible abuse.
Well, they need to be aware, and this should be a wake-up call. Too often people put sensitive stuff up on the web in the mistaken belief it won't be found. Usually, though, if it can be found then it will be found. The lesson everyone needs to learn is that if you don't want your stuff in the public domain don't put it on a public website, even in directories that aren't linked from anywhere.

I also wouldn't class adding a robots.txt file as "configuring a server". It's just a text file (you can FTP it even if you don't have root on the server) and constructing one takes about 30 seconds.

For instance anyone could remotely link to any file on my server. I don't really mind if it's fair use. On the other hand, if someone would make a list of all my demos on his site so that one could download directly from there and I provide all the bandwidth but don't get visitors I would mind.
I understand your point. However, if you put all your code in one directory and exluded that via the robots.txt file then none of the files would get indexed but your actual pages linking to the files would. Problem solved.

It's also relatively easy to configure most webservers (such as apache) to not allow remote linking.

You are right to highlight the problem, but people need to learn.

Who looks at other people's code anyway unless they are required to maintain it?
Learning from code is stupid.
That, IMHO, is foolishly narrow-minded.

When I need to learn how to implement something I just read up on what I want to implement and make my own decisions from there.
And when you "read up on" it do those references ever give code or pseudo-code examples?

English can be a particularly poor medium for expressing some ideas.

Please tell me how I would find out a set of requirements from code?
Reading code in order to understand a set of requirements shows a lack of intelligence.

Pseudocode doesn't exist for physical world requirements. Unless you know some, then I would be happy to read it unless it's a waste of time for what I want to implement.

Please tell me how I would find out a set of requirements from code?
Reading code in order to understand a set of requirements shows a lack of intelligence.

Pseudocode doesn't exist for physical world requirements. Unless you know some, then I would be happy to read it unless it's a waste of time for what I want to implement.

An example would be implementing a method/algorithm described in a scientific paper. A code version will frequently tell you a lot that is glossed over in the paper.

Are you telling me physicists and/or engineers actually write pseudocode in their papers?
I'm sure some do if they work in such a field, but what about the rest of them?
Would my clients write me pseudocode to explain what they want?

An example would be implementing the method described in a scientific paper. A code version will frequently tell you a lot that is glossed over in the paper.

Google Code doesn't give you pseudocode. It gives you code. In other words, someone else's interpretation of a set of requirements(which you don't know anyway but you could guess the context and you might be correct).

Are you telling me physicists and/or engineers actually write pseudocode in their papers?
I'm sure some do if they work in such a field, but what about the rest of them?
Would my clients write me pseudocode to explain what they want?

Google Code doesn't give you pseudocode. It gives you code. In other words, someone else's interpretation of a set of requirements(which you don't know anyway but you could guess the context and you might be correct).

Kiler,
I said code and/or pseudo code. As for the latter, yes, pseudo code can be part of a scientific publication. It can often be N-times more efficient to express a concept that way.

As for the code example, then I am also talking about looking for an implementation of the concepts often only briefly described in a paper. Maybe, one day, you will understand.

I usually write specs/requirements for our ECU suppliers as some sort of pseudo-code, or precisely as a "pseudo" Simulink model. That way there can be no misinterpretation like with written specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont need to because I'm intelligent enough to think for myself.

As for the code example, then I am also talking about looking for an implementation of the concepts often only briefly described in a paper. Maybe, one day, you will understand.

I wont need to because I'm intelligent enough to think for myself.

You only have to discover stuff like Duff's Device and other neat little things to realize that you can never compete with the compound brain matter out there.

Cheers

Back