Intel to make bid for nVidia? **Reuters**

Did anyone but ATI stockholders and AMD fanbois cheer that? Many accepted it and tried to figure out what it would mean going forward, but mostly because there wasn't any choice in the matter, not owning giant blocks of ATI shares to vote it down with.

Well I thought AMD/ATi was a good thing that will allow direct competition against Intel amongst other reasons. All the 'sky is falling in' emotive dribble ... change doesn't have to be scary ;)

In comparison Intel/Nvidia is a bad thing for the industry and most likely a bad thing for each company unless "me too" knee jerk reactions are acceptable. This one doesn't make sense at any level.

Well I thought AMD/ATi was a good thing that will allow direct competition against Intel amongst other reasons. All the 'sky is falling in' emotive dribble ... change doesn't have to be scary ;)

In comparison Intel/Nvidia is a bad thing for the industry and most likely a bad thing for each company unless "me too" knee jerk reactions are acceptable. This one doesn't make sense at any level.

If AMD wanted to compete against Intel they could have bought XGI or something. Intel doesn't have worldclass GPUs. Buying one of the also ran GPU designers would have been good for the consumers because it would provide another well financed GPU division at least. It is also feasible that ATI/NV could have kept on making high end GPUs and also high end integrated. Even if that had happened AMD and Intel would fight over low end integrated and soon the bar would have been raised across the computing board... Oh well wishing for things doesn't make them happen.

Yeh true for graphics but I always thought it was more about platformisation - if that's a word. Far as i know XGI doesn't make quality chipsets nor have as broad a reach into the mobile markets as an example. My mobile phone has an intel chip inside( I think that was calved off though recently). ATi's product portfolio is much more than just high end video cards. Too even come close to matching this it would have to be XGI + SiS +.... AMD got stream processing and a whole gamut of console experience + more - I am no expert on ATi. As many ppl have said - High end graphics wasn't the big draw card - I would disagree that this division will now suffer and the market will be a one horse race however.

Perhaps that is true. They could have bought VIA, but perhaps the price was too high. VIA has everything you mentioned (and they in S3 already). Maybe AMD was just trying to catch up with them kind of strange, but in a way it is actually true. VIA has tons of embedded products etc... though VIA seems to be struggling (maybe it is just my imagination).

If AMD wanted to compete against Intel they could have bought XGI or something. Intel doesn't have worldclass GPUs. Buying one of the also ran GPU designers would have been good for the consumers because it would provide another well financed GPU division at least. It is also feasible that ATI/NV could have kept on making high end GPUs and also high end integrated. Even if that had happened AMD and Intel would fight over low end integrated and soon the bar would have been raised across the computing board... Oh well wishing for things doesn't make them happen.
It's funny you should mention XGI as ATI already bought them.
ATI Technologies Inc. Buys Shanghai-based XGI Technology Inc. Alliance Company

Yeh true for graphics but I always thought it was more about platformisation - if that's a word. Far as i know XGI doesn't make quality chipsets nor have as broad a reach into the mobile markets as an example. My mobile phone has an intel chip inside( I think that was calved off though recently). ATi's product portfolio is much more than just high end video cards. Too even come close to matching this it would have to be XGI + SiS +.... AMD got stream processing and a whole gamut of console experience + more - I am no expert on ATi. As many ppl have said - High end graphics wasn't the big draw card - I would disagree that this division will now suffer and the market will be a one horse race however.

Is that Intel chip in your mobile phone by any chance a 2700G?

Thinking there's no risk of the highend suffering when it wasn't "the big draw" seems to be a form of magic thinking. I only hope it's true. I find the deal itself to be a sort of magic thinking.

Nah it's an xscale PXA-272. AFAIK AMD doesn't really compete in this space now that they moved their au solution.

Well I am a master of magic thinking ;)

I guess your of the belief then that the entire technology industry is going to cede 3D ownership to nvidia ... without a fight, struggle or any real attempt at competition? Once nvidia has this throne all technology firm supplicants from across all kingdoms will arrive annualy with offers of IP gifts and virgin daughter brides to pay homage at nVCity - failure to comply brings a period of catastrophic twisted pestilence whilst 1st born mortality rates hitt 100%? Intel as well? Well ....

Technolgy wise I would put ati in front so the above scenario, embellished with some fantasy imagery by me, sounds like the opening chapters of a book containing a great variety of hominoid like creatures - some with sexy pointy ears 500+ years old!

Monumental cockups happen in some mergers but not all. AMD has shown itself to be quite capable running on the smell of an oily rag in the hardest of times for all things but giving thier processors cool names(well ok Thunderbird was pretty cool but hardly creative). I hope that continues. IMO the two companies have little area's of duplication within engineering. This is not a HP buyout of compaq by any means and will hopefully lead to a viable competitior to intel in all markets that contain a central processor and not just in enthusiast class gaming machines or the cheap end of the market.

Nah it's an xscale PXA-272. AFAIK AMD doesn't really compete in this space now that they moved their au solution.

Well I am a master of magic thinking ;)

I guess your of the belief then that the entire technology industry is going to cede 3D ownership to nvidia ... without a fight, struggle or any real attempt at competition? Once nvidia has this throne all technology firm supplicants from across all kingdoms will arrive annualy with offers of IP gifts and virgin daughter brides to pay homage at nVCity - failure to comply brings a period of catastrophic twisted pestilence whilst 1st born mortality rates hitt 100%? Intel as well? Well ....

Technolgy wise I would put ati in front so the above scenario, embellished with some fantasy imagery by me, sounds like the opening chapters of a book containing a great variety of hominoid like creatures - some with sexy pointy ears 500+ years old!

Monumental cockups happen in some mergers but not all. AMD has shown itself to be quite capable running on the smell of an oily rag in the hardest of times for all things but giving thier processors cool names(well ok Thunderbird was pretty cool but hardly creative). I hope that continues. IMO the two companies have little area's of duplication within engineering. This is not a HP buyout of compaq by any means and will hopefully lead to a viable competitior to intel in all markets that contain a central processor and not just in enthusiast class gaming machines or the cheap end of the market.

Momentarily technology leadership comes and goes, it means nothing right now.
Look at 6800 vs X800...

It's true that R5xx is more advanced than G7x, but neither did it buy them more marketshare, nor it is likely that Nvidia is standing still.
From the look of things we know so far, G80 appears to be more advanced -or more innovative, if you will- than R600 (on an architectural level), then they'll trade positions again in the next generation, and so on...

well I'm thinking more of the console chips + the latest gpu + gpu processing + the approach too physics. Nvida's in front in chipsets and adoption of thier product in servers and definitey marketing thier product. SLI is a bit of a waste of resources imo but there we go. I don't keep a score card however I get the impression that Ati is 'infront'. Frog leap is par for the course. I am not predicting doom and gloom for nvidia nor saying they have lost traction in hsengs egotistical body fluids... I bet Intel and Nvidia will be quite the chums in the short term future.

I guess your of the belief then that the entire technology industry is going to cede 3D ownership to nvidia

No, but under AMD, if ATI starts slacking off in the highend, what you'll see is that another company will emerge to challenge nVidia in that market, maybe Intel, maybe ex-ATI employees who form a startup company. The fortunes of the "frontrunner" can switch at a moment's notice. The assumption that the barrier to entry is so high that the current two-horse race is forever fixed is a fallacy. ATI's own historical ride has been up and down, and their fortunes changed when the the former frontrunner, SGI, lost engineers in their long slide into the abyss, some of which went on to form ArtX, which was acquired by ATI and turned around ATI's fortunes.

If Nvidia or ATI die, the people who work there won't become homeless or suddenly lose their experience and skills, some will go on to start new ventures, and with luck, a new phoenix will arise from the ashes.

Anyway, corporations are in business to make money, not own crowns in each market niche. McDonalds doesn't hold the crown for the best high end gourmet food, but they don't care that some gourmet restaurants rate higher.

I agree, and/or - AMD could spinoff the highend 3D component of Ati at some stage - not my wish but a potential reality. More real than Ati3D failing to compete, withering on the branch then becoming intergrated only brand name for corporate/server solutions... the new Rage.

if the 1st scenario is too happen I would imagine it would be sooner rather than later or at least untill the dust has settled on this transaction and at least 1 new product generation has rolled out the door. Any potential buyer would want to see a firm tech roadmap - if AMD allows Ati3D to wither untill this time then the selling price would be far less. <> sense.

Whichever scenario I think there will be strong High End competition for "the only 3D company left" from an established player barring some turbulence from the transactions.

Back