Okami... wow

I just learned about the trick of doing that brush effect on enemies as they die (what's that called?). Basically, right when an enemy dies, they go into a slow mode effect for couple seconds. In that time, you have to use an appropriate brush effect on them in order to get a special "fang" thingie, that you can trade for items.

Anyway, just one example of depth in the game that can be completely ignored through the entire game, but has me trying each of my brush strokes on dead enemies...
Exactly. Plus the ability to go after enemies correctly through their proper weak points to take them out fast instead of beat-beat-beating them a lot. (There are also non-obvious way to go at them that the game doesn't explain, like painting them with a quick swipe just to stun and blind them out of their usual pattern.)

Combat also changes to a reasonable degree depending on what weapons you're using as primary and secondary, but not too much yet. (From what I've seen.)

Who is that? And what kind of criticism? :smile:

Heh, I think he's refering to Himuro from GAF. he has his issues though. He complains about Issun and the incoherent gibberish of the VA (not really issues of the game). The real issues of the game though, is the camera angle during battles.

Technically, the intro is around 10 hours long (give or take). the real plot thickens once you are past the village area. After that, gameplay really takes grab of you. The celestial brush techniques you learn later on are awesome.

Complaints about Issun are about the only valid ones, as he is a shade or three too annoying. :p He's aimed at being a proper mascot for, like, 8-12 year-olds, but of course most people who will be REALLY wanting to play and enjoy Okami are substantially older.

Complaints about Issun are about the only valid ones, as he is a shade or three too annoying. :p He's aimed at being a proper mascot for, like, 8-12 year-olds, but of course most people who will be REALLY wanting to play and enjoy Okami are substantially older.

He is a little too talkative, but one thing I really, really appreciate is that he will often tell me when I'm trying to do something that isn't possible yet. Too many games will have some kind of secret in place that's visible but only unlockable by completing something else. Instead of me trying for 45 minutes to crack the secret in vain, just tell me I'll get the tools later...

Of course that medication is playing LocoRoco until you get this big shit-eating grin on your face. :D
I try to love my PSP. I've bought many games for it. I'll probably try LocoRoco someday...

You know, the PSP is like that hot girlfriend that's lousy in bed and cheats on you. You keep coming back to her, because she's hot, but, damn, she's lousy in bed and cheats on you.

He is a little too talkative, but one thing I really, really appreciate is that he will often tell me when I'm trying to do something that isn't possible yet. Too many games will have some kind of secret in place that's visible but only unlockable by completing something else. Instead of me trying for 45 minutes to crack the secret in vain, just tell me I'll get the tools later...
Didn't say he didn't say useful things... he's just irritating about it. :p And all the FRAKING HOPS!

Okami does a substantially better job than other games in letting you know what you can and can't do, reminding you where you should be going to continue the plot w/o being a dick about it, and not making you go over every nook and cranny of a zone to do what you need to.

I haven't actually touched my DS for a while (tiring with the brain training games)--just to play a few more NSMB levels once in a while--and probably won't obsessively again until Elite Beat Agents comes out. :D LocoRoco is amazing in that Katamari Damacy way, and between it, Burnout and Tekken, all my portable desires are met for now. ^_^

LocoRoco is amazing in that Katamari Damacy way, and between it, Burnout and Tekken, all my portable desires are met for now. ^_^
You had me at "in that Katamari Damacy way"... maybe I'll pick it up this weekend.

PS: Are the Jerry Maguire "you had me at" quotes played out? Probably right? If so, I'm sorry.

LocoRoco is amazing in that Katamari Damacy way, and between it, Burnout and Tekken, all my portable desires are met for now. ^_^

We have very similar tastes ... :) LocoRoco, Burnout and Tekken are the three games I last bought and have enjoyed immensely. And just before that I had bought Daxter, which is great also, but I've yet to complete. There is now officially too much to play, and I don't think I'll be able to catch up before MGS, the new GTA, FF and god knows what else is coming ... Problem of luxury! I read the 3rd Prince of Persia game is also coming to the PSP, and I thought that Revelations already was very enjoyable on the PSP, but it still had some issues. If they manage to sort these out for this one, then it may be a very good game, and I haven't played this one on the PS2 either.

Lumines has also made it's comback over here, by the way, by virtue of my girlfriend suddenly becoming hooked at it. :D

Every once and a while I also play the WTSC2 demo (soccer), which is quite fun. The Bounty Hunter demo on the other hand isn't all that. I also played the Syphon Filter demo at a Playstation Portable spot the other day, which is a pretty decent game if that's your thing (very Splinter Cell like, but much better than Essentials).

I also just bought Psychonauts for the PS2, which I noticed just came out platinum, so for just 20 euros! Lately I'm buying all my AAA games that way (God of War, Resident Evil, Tekken 5, etc.), which I'm liking.

But to get back on topic, if Okami is released here before the PS3, I think I might even award it a full price purchase. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't actually picked up Lumines yet, which is kind of weird since I go out of my way for puzzle games. (Exit, Lemmings, and Mercury are all being worked through now... ^_^ ) But no doubt I'll get around to it. Work's just a little involved right now, and Okami stole the rest of my free time! Hehe.

(Ok, it and keeping up with Guitar Hero.)

I haven't actually picked up Lumines yet, which is kind of weird since I go out of my way for puzzle games. (Exit, Lemmings, and Mercury are all being worked through now... ^_^ ) But no doubt I'll get around to it. Work's just a little involved right now, and Okami stole the rest of my free time! Hehe.

(Ok, it and keeping up with Guitar Hero.)
Marry me?

(I mean that in a platonic, heterosexual, met over the internet, don't know what you look like kind of way.)

But seriously, I dub thee "cthellis42--Knower and Doer of Good Games".

l-b, I predict canceled dinner plans.

:oops: It was lunch, which i did have, while playing Okami, but in the end i was so hooked that i ended up playing until dinner, through dinner, until i got to bed! :LOL:

When i saw the first Bloom sequence i went "Fukcin hell!!" really loud, and that NEVER happens. All those petals and pretty things flying around... It was like i was looking at ZOE2 but covered in bubble gum!

After that, the whole experience has been pure pleasure. Seriously, i don't know why or how Capcom came out with this one, it's by far the most amazing game i've played in years, i'm enjoying it much more than SOTC and i daresay Ico. They were amazing, but Okami is just something else, it's beutiful, it plays amazingly well, it's FUNNY!

Amazing.

I'm 9hrs into the game at the moment. I was 30mins into it before i started playing yesterday... :oops:

When i saw the first Bloom sequence i went "Fukcin hell!!" really loud, and that NEVER happens. All those petals and pretty things flying around... It was like i was looking at ZOE2 but covered in bubble gum!

LoL, great analogy. :) Pretty much had the same reaction, the game definitely gets you under its spell.

Daily Okami love post.

Played up until the moulin rouge stage, where you get the wind power.... The boss was very easy but very fun. The whole windmill stage was absolutely beautiful.

Oh yeah i got to the point where the arrow comes down from the sky, then saved and went to bed...

And i just found out the whole bonus kill thing where you get the fang if you do it properly...

Love this game. I'm just not sure what will happen, and it's both good and bad cause i'm not sure it will keep being so cool or if it will get boring... we'll see...

Back