DIRT: Colin McRae Off-Road

Yes, why make stuff up? The game design was started for all versions simultaneously and they only went with PSSG when their other options failed to deliver what they wanted on the PS3.

I don't see any mention of them having troubles finding solutions for the PC or 360 versions that fulfilled their requirements, do you? It was specifically the PS3 version that made them take such steps.

Is it a highly customized PS3 game, or is it a multiplatform title that took some extra work to get up and running on the PS3 at the same levels as the PC and 360 versions?...My money is on the latter.
Though your reasoning is sound, I'm not sure the conclusion is. They considered the likes of Renderware and UE3, which are cross platform and run on PS3. Unless these engines are severely crippled on PS3, a game created in UE3 would be the same across the board for XB360, PC and PS3, no? So why create your own game engine?

The impression I got was that these weren't optimal in their use of PS3's resources. Codemasters wanted to get more out of the machine and finding out about a Sony project, got working with them to develop a cross-platform engine, presumably one more refined for all platforms.

It's not clear, but still, I don't see that the lack of software solutions for PS3 was the need to create their own engine. PS3 has mostly the same middleware as the other platforms, and from what we've heard to date I don't think there's reason to think those middleware solutions are crippled on that platform. The only sensible reason I can think for Codemasters to reinvent this wheel was performance for each platform.:???:

I havent played a CCR game since i played the original WRC game on PS2, for me WRC is THE rally game. Evolution Studios really need to pull a finger out and get WRC 2008 out after they release Motorstorm :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They considered the likes of Renderware and UE3, which are cross platform and run on PS3. Unless these engines are severely crippled on PS3, a game created in UE3 would be the same across the board for XB360, PC and PS3, no? So why create your own game engine?

Didn't Mark Rein said that the UE3 didn't perform as well on the PS3 as UE3 on the 360? And they're looking to address that?

The impression I got was that these weren't optimal in their use of PS3's resources. Codemasters wanted to get more out of the machine and finding out about a Sony project, got working with them to develop a cross-platform engine, presumably one more refined for all platforms.

It's not clear, but still, I don't see that the lack of software solutions for PS3 was the need to create their own engine. PS3 has mostly the same middleware as the other platforms, and from what we've heard to date I don't think there's reason to think those middleware solutions are crippled on that platform. The only sensible reason I can think for Codemasters to reinvent this wheel was performance for each platform.:???:

Now this is the truth from what we know. Powerkeg read this response slowly.

Thanks.

What I am saying is that it will look and play the same on all platforms.

You seem to be under the impression that this is a highly optimized PS3 game ported to the other systems, rather than a multiplatform game that had to resort to Neon to get the PS3 version working the same as their 360 and PC versions.

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying, however, is that since the Sony co-developed PSSG is at the root of the Neon engine (there was an item on the GD London event by Sony on this, which is telling), it's bound to make decent use of the PS3. Is that really so far-fetched?

For all intents and purposes, the current version of the Unreal Engine that is available to developers like Ubisoft may not be able to make use of the SPEs yet, just as initially games using UE3 on 360 were limited to single core (Gears may well be the first that uses all three?). Perhaps Ubisoft doesn't mind this for Assassin's Creed, even if the side effect could be that the 360 version turns out to have better AI routines.

Well, at least you finally admit it's just an assumption on your part.

Just as I'm going to assume that you have zero experience with Force Feedback wheels on the consoles. In fact, I don't believe you even care about the wheel that Microsoft is bringing out, as you probably have no plans on getting one for the 360, and I'm wondering what, if any, you have for the PC at this time.

Funny you say that. I've owned 3 Nintendo consoles so far, and I bet you'll have a hard time finding someone here who doesn't think I'm against Nintendo.

Good, then at least there we have some common ground. ;) For the record, I'm probably against Nintendo, or at least not for them, as I've liked anything they brought out bar perhaps Brain Training (although my sister got bored with it extremely soon after she got a brain age of 20 after a week - but we're both adults and don't live in the same house, so I haven't had a chance to try ;) ).

And MS is releasing a Force Feedback wheel. One that does rumble and force feedback at the same time, using seperate motors. That's something even Logitech hasn't done. So based on that, please explain why you think they are against you owning a 360.

I'm not. But I'm not convinced by the wheel. The idea is fine, Force Feedback and Rumble, but the quality of the wheel, for that price and from the looks of it, well, we'll see. The pedals are far too close to each other. And like I said, if the only way to get a wheel is buying a MS wheel, then I'm not too happy with MS policy there, as it could well mean having to buy everything double for PC/PS3 and 360. This is a specific problem I have with Microsoft. Just like the memory cards - why not make something that is compatible with existing flash memory and why not allowing people to plug in any old 2.5" harddrive?

Or is the truth closer to you just don't want to buy Microsoft's stuff?

Look, if the wheel is really all that, then I might still buy it for the 360 and Forza 2. But I have worn down a *lot* of wheels in my time, and the DF Pro is one of the first FF wheels that has lasted me more than half a year. In fact, my original DF Pro still stands, though I was one of the first to get it. Sure, I"ve had to fix the pedal base once or twice, because it fills up with dust easily and the wires are a little too tight allowing the potentiometer to become dislodged (easily fixed), but other than that, it keeps its FF better than anything before and still works.

Yes, that is the question. Is it a highly customized PS3 game, or is it a multiplatform title that took some extra work to get up and running on the PS3 at the same levels as the PC and 360 versions?

Depends. If they developed the Neon engine, and then went to Sony to ask them to help get it running half-decently on PS3, then the latter might be the case. However, if they reviewed current tools, found them insufficient, talked to Sony, and then the Neon engine came forward out of cooperation in PSSG, then, while no highly customised PS3 game, the engine will be primed to make good use of the PS3. Once the CMR series came to the consoles (that didn't happen before CMR3, so I'm not sure where you get your figures from), the Playstation versions brought in their fair share. The PC now rarely outsells console versions, so I'd be interested to see any recent figures that show otherwise.

As for the cost debate, it's really simple. Use the same standard for all systems and leave your own personal bias at the door. Either compare the cost of the base system plus game (Bare minimum required to play the game) or compare the total hardware functionality and costs with complete disregard to the game.

Sorry, but if you believe that makes for a realistic comparison, then your job is not in science, marketing, or anything related. I've clearly indicated that as an academic exercise we can play this game, but beyond that, it just doesn't work that way.

But stop with the "pick and choose" method of justifying your response. I realize it is hard to justify that PS3 price tag, but trying to bring up such totally unrelated functions such as the inclusion of Linux or a browser in a thread specifically about DIRT and nothing else just shows how weak your defense is.

My defense is not weak. You are, however, a very weak (or selective) reader. I have clearly stated the stuff that I, me, myself, moi, ich, je, io (you get the point?) find appealing and added value in the PS3, and that this would influence my choice. I have clearly indicated that this might be different for others. If you cannot see the importance of that distinction, then this discussion is going to go nowhere, fast.

Also, you wanted to discuss the core 360 vs the core PS3, disregarding all the benefits of the core PS3 version, and focus solely on whether or not any potential graphics differences that we don't know anything about yet would justify the difference in price. If we are going to compare final games on the respective Core versions, we'll have to take into account all the game's features, not just graphics, and see whether or not the game supports the HD, downloadable features, and so on, and whether or not that will result in the PS3 version of the game having added value over the game on the core 360.

Assassin's Creed does not use UE3, it uses the new Scimitar engine.

Oh yeah, I forgot that ... they were going to initially, but they switched, right? Is Scimitar based on UE3, or is it really something they developed from the ground up? From what I understand, devs are free at this stage to use UE3 as a rough base and then build that out to their own, wasn't Lost Planet a game based on something similar, or was that Bioshock?

Oh yeah, I forgot that ... they were going to initially, but they switched, right? Is Scimitar based on UE3, or is it really something they developed from the ground up? From what I understand, devs are free at this stage to use UE3 as a rough base and then build that out to their own, wasn't Lost Planet a game based on something similar, or was that Bioshock?

Not sure about he specifics on Scimitar's creation, Lost Planet uses Capcom's new X-platform engine I believe, and Bioshock is UE2.5 but uses 3.0 tools IIRC.

Arwin : You and Powderkeg are going into a console rant. Please keep to the topic of DIRT and this Neon engine, and leave the discussions about wheels and whatnot to more relevant threads.

As for...
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying, however, is that since the Sony co-developed PSSG is at the root of the Neon engine (there was an item on the GD London event by Sony on this, which is telling), it's bound to make decent use of the PS3. Is that really so far-fetched?
...this makes sense to me. If Sony are on-board to create a cross-platform engine, chances are it'll favour their platform (which appears to be mentioned in the DevStation talks on the subject). It is worth remembering that the PSSG engine is for graphics only though. It's a rendering and animation engine and won't have influence on game dynamics. Thus the gameplay aspects to Neon will be dependent on CodeMasters optimizations across platforms.

For what its worth, this pretty much confirmed logitech supports the ps3 with their wheel...
Additional PLAYSTATION 3 Product Compatibility
Several of Logitech currently available game controllers are also compatible with the new PLAYSTATION 3 console, including the award-winning Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel. The Driving Force Pro wheel ensures that gamers can enjoy advanced racing features – including force feedback and 900 degrees of steering wheel rotation – with their favorite racing titles. The wheel is available now for a suggested retail price of $129.99 in the U.S. The Logitech Driving Force EX wheel and the Logitech USB headset for PLAYSTATION will also work with PLAYSTATION 3 games in addition to legacy PLAYSTATION 2 titles.
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/10/5-10

Codemasters screenshots are as reliable as Ubi Soft's.

Having said that, I don't know what's so great looking, technically or even artistically, in the, relatively small, shots posted in the first post...

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
DIRT: Colin McRae Off-Road
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...1502.05105.htm

VWPajrallyraidreplay2.jpg

Dirt_travis_rally.jpg

you dont see anything special?

for me these are CGI ...

They're like, some of the best nextgen graphics so far, and certainly the best for driving games. Motorstorm can hide in a dark corner, I mean.

If they're screenshots and not renders, that is. I wanna see highres stuff to see aliasing, texture pixels, poly edges... so far it's suspicious.

these are replay shots, if real.
in-game will probably be diferent.

the fact that CM was murmuring about ps3 version and tools, and never said a word for 360/pc version, sounds optimistic for the 360 version.

do we know which platform's pics are those replay stills shown here?

Though your reasoning is sound, I'm not sure the conclusion is. They considered the likes of Renderware and UE3, which are cross platform and run on PS3. Unless these engines are severely crippled on PS3, a game created in UE3 would be the same across the board for XB360, PC and PS3, no? So why create your own game engine?

For the same reason almost every single developer makes modifications to the UE3 engine when they make their games.

The game they were making didn't fit the middleware solutions available, specifically for the PS3, so they chose to make their own to get what they wanted on all platforms. Had they not considered a PS3 version there would have been no reason for them to take the development path that they did.

I'm not saying anything was crippled, all I'm saying is to do the game that they wanted with the effects in place that they were planning they had to take special steps to get the PS3 version working the same as the rest. That's all, and I don't see why that's so hard to believe when just about every developer who makes multiplatform games has said that the PS3 requires very different programming efforts compared to the PC/360 combo.

(And note, I didn't say it was harder, or anything bad, just that it's different, and that in this case it required a different game engine.)

For the same reason almost every single developer makes modifications to the UE3 engine when they make their games.

The game they were making didn't fit the middleware solutions available, specifically for the PS3, so they chose to make their own to get what they wanted on all platforms. Had they not considered a PS3 version there would have been no reason for them to take the development path that they did.

I'm not saying anything was crippled, all I'm saying is to do the game that they wanted with the effects in place that they were planning they had to take special steps to get the PS3 version working the same as the rest. That's all, and I don't see why that's so hard to believe when just about every developer who makes multiplatform games has said that the PS3 requires very different programming efforts compared to the PC/360 combo.

(And note, I didn't say it was harder, or anything bad, just that it's different, and that in this case it required a different game engine.)

But see the thing is you make it sound like the 360 and PC version doesn't run off the Neon engine.

But if they could modify UE3 on XB360 and PC to run their game, why couldn't they modify it on PS3? If they can write their own entire game engine, they ought to be competant coders enough to perform coding changes for UE3 on PS3 as well as other platforms, no?

And again, though you say it didn't fit the middleware solution 'especially for the PS3', what advantages do the middleware solutions have on other platforms? Why was PS3 being awkward in this regard? I can only think of two reasons. 1) These middlewares don't run well on PS3. That'd mean this game would run great on XB360 and PC, but poorly on PS3. 2) These middlewares don't push the hardware, and CodeMasters want to get more from the hardware than the minimum.

I can't see evidence for 1), so I guess 2) is the reason for the Neon engine. The other middleware solutions do a good job of harnessing the available capabilities of XB360 and PS3, but don't fit PS3 as well, so Neon was created. And if so, I'd expect a platform advantage from CodeMasters games. Oh, I guess there is an option 3) which you suggest, that making changes on PS3 is hard because of coding complexities, but as I've said, being able to write their own whole engine, that shouldn't have been an issue. And as you say, anyone using UE3 is likely making their own adaptations for it, yet there's still plenty of titles on PS3 using UE3. They haven't find it too hard to change and had to develop their own engine, so why would CodeMasters?

Back