EB Employee plays PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hard time discerning detail differences b/w two 42" screens at Best Buy, a $3500 1080p Sony LCD and the 42" Panasonic (generously) 720p plasma. This was especially strange b/c I used to notice that 37-42" 720p LCDs seemed to show more detail/res in static shots than 42" plasmas back when I was comparing the two intently. My point being that, sure, screenshots look nicer at 1080p, but I'm interested in how apparent the extra detail will be on similar-size (but different res, natch) HDTVs.

Well it's essentially guaranteed that unless both displays were hooked up to a Blu-Ray/HD DVD player, you were looking at 720p content.

Well it's essentially guaranteed that unless both displays were hooked up to a Blu-Ray/HD DVD player, you were looking at 720p content.
True, they were multiplexed out the wazoo from whatever feed BestBuy runs, though they still looked pretty good. It's possible it was 1080i, but you're probably right.

Actually, if they were multiplexed it's likely that was with component, so 720p it is.

To me the answer is yes, compared to those same games on the PS2 and xbox.
That would be a correct answer to "Do you consider Virtua Tennis or Ridge Racer 7 better than their hypothetical PS2 or xbox counterparts?"

But I'm only partly disagreeing with you. The point seems to be that we haven't seen where adding 1080p is much of a graphical benefit. I'm staying on the sidelines till I try it out on my own 1080p set, primarily because I didn't expect this many 1080p games to be announced; the question in my mind is, is it similar to 720p games on the original Xbox?

Are you a sony developer or something??So i guess saying that "Ubisoft is licking MS'nuts" is o.k
but saying something about the PR sony's developers are using is bad.

Oh and i could care less if neg rep me....
good god, do you realize that people around the web percieve this place as a logical man's haven for debate? Set a good example, and quit acting like children.
Scooby, mckmas doesn't see eye-to-eye with you, its a simple as that. What nonsense it is to call him blind. I personally do consider Virtua Tennis and RR7 to be excellent examples of what next gen has to offer, regardless of what pics we may pass around that are meant to prove otherwise. The beginning of this gen has proved many things, one of them being that using mere pics to judge a game are no longer acceptable.

Is CoD3 1080p on PS3 ? Or was that just a rumour.

It seems to me that the crux of the argument has gone from PS3 won't have 1080p games, to PS3 will only have 1080p games that aren't graphically advanced ?

Does it matter though, even if that is the case, isn't that a bonus for gamers with (or soon to have) 1080p TV's?

That would be a correct answer to "Do you consider Virtua Tennis or Ridge Racer 7 better than their hypothetical PS2 or xbox counterparts?"

But I'm only partly disagreeing with you. The point seems to be that we haven't seen where adding 1080p is much of a graphical benefit. I'm staying on the sidelines till I try it out on my own 1080p set, primarily because I didn't expect this many 1080p games to be announced; the question in my mind is, is it similar to 720p games on the original Xbox?

The answer to your question is already no. To be honest how many 720p games were on the Xbox?

ms has no reason to push for 720p xbox games. off my head sony has two, one to tell the uninformed ps3 is the next next-gen and two it goes inline with their TrueHD marketing across their products.

The answer to your question is already no. To be honest how many 720p games were on the Xbox?

I believe there were about 20-25+ games that were 720p/1080i

EDIT: The site I used years ago to in my thirst for HD gaming, hdtvpub has the list at 26, bear in mind these are user submitted, there are probably many more as most of the games listed are pretty old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking through the list on HDTVpub that NacNav mentioned, I think there's a ring of truth to it (along with what dangerose is saying, that Sony has a strong marketing reason to push for it). Here's the list:

Atari Anthology
Dragon Lair 3d
Enter The Matrix
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Syberia
Amped 2
Crash Nitro Kart
Disney Extreme Skateboarding
ESPN Major League Baseball
ESPN NBA Basketball 2K4
Freedom Fighters
MVP BASEBALL 2004
MVP Baseball 2005
NBA Ballers
Sega GT Online
Sims busting out
Soul Calibur II
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Hoops
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
True Crime: Streets of L.A.
World Series Baseball 2K3
X Men Legends

you're missing a bunch of games on that list.

Simpsons Road rage
Hulk Ultimate destruction
Xmen legends 2
Mortal combat Alliance

I know Sony has more of a reason to push 1080p games compared to MS having 720p games. But is there anything really wrong with their postion? I mean won't there be more 1080p TVs this gen, than there were 720p/1080i TVs last gen?

I know Sony has more of a reason to push 1080p games compared to MS having 720p games. But is there anything really wrong with their postion? I mean won't there be more 1080p TVs this gen, than there were 720p/1080i TVs last gen?

The answer to your question is yes, there will be a great deal more 1080p CE devices.

My OT issue at hand is how it is delivered. What I don't want is what the current HD movies players do, I don't want multiple conversions of the stream. (e.g. 1080p24 >> 1080i60 >> 1080p60)

I ran across an interesting post on another forum saying the 360 version at 720p looks better than the PS3 version at 1080p:

Look at the shading, textures and shadows of Sharapova serving. The difference is clear
360 version (720p)
http://www.jeuxactu.com/datas/images/jeux/Virtua_Tennis_3/screenshots/xl/1160174362-3.jpg

PS3 version (1080p)
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4380/894_0001.jpg

Here's the direct comparision shot:

Difference is clear
PS3 on Left, 360 on right

untitled2pa9.jpg

Regardless of the direction the lighting is far more realistic in the 720p shot. The 1080p version appears to use bloom lighting while the 720p uses HDR.

:D Hardly a direct comparison shot.
Different lighting, different arena, and I think a different camera.
Still, I'd be hard pressed to tell which one is from which console if I didn't look at the resolution (if even that is a reliable indication).
To me, they look pretty much identical qualitywise.
Regardless of the direction the lighting is far more realistic in the 720p shot. The 1080p version appears to use bloom lighting while the 720p uses HDR.
You do notice, that the shadow is longer on the green grass tennis arena shot, i.e. sun is a bit lower and that results in not so hard shadows on the character compared to the more overhead sun that's on the other brown tarmac arena shot.
Might be why the character on the other shot is lit more "flatly" if you can use that adjective.

Edit: I correct, when you look at the other player, the shadows are pretty much as long, so it's propably not the direction of the sun.
The PS3 version looks suspisciously jaggy despite being 1080p, though:???:

:D Hardly a direct comparison shot.
Different lighting, different arena, and I think a different camera.
Still, I'd be hard pressed to tell which one is from which console if I didn't look at the resolution (if even that is a reliable indication).
To me, they look pretty much identical qualitywise.
Pretty much, if you look at the other 360 shot in the same arena the lighting is pretty much the exact same.

As for AA, im not sure I see a huge difference.
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4380/894_0004.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4380/894_0005.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4380/894_0010.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4380/894_0014.jpg
all four have AA issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back