PSM3's PS3 review with pics and a video of the startup screen

Slay

Newcomer
1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all.
2) It's heavy like a planet. No, really. It's impossible to pick up with one hand.
3) It's shiny like a mirror. In fact, it's impossible to take a photograph of it without the flash spanging every picture into a starburst mess. And therefore it's massively prone to fingerprintage too, with the tiny amount of dust in the office magically attaching itself to its surface in seconds.
4) The PS3 joypad is very light and the tilt system is very responsive. We like.
5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.

psm2.JPG

psm6.JPG

and the video

the rest of the article is here

Reactions: Geo
In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.

One of the reasons I sold my PSP was because of the insanely long load-times in most games. I certainly hope the PS3's load-times aren't anywhere near as long as the PSP's.

Aye i was thinking the same thing. want to see a video of the load time from the main menu of the game to gameplay.

Also I noticed there was a black screen displayed for longer then 4 seconds. I remember how you could never do that on the PSone as it was a certification requirement to not having a black screen for more than 4 sec ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons I sold my PSP was because of the insanely long load-times in most games. I certainly hope the PS3's load-times aren't anywhere near as long as the PSP's.

Well for the PSP it does depend on what game you are playing. Games like Tekken, Daxter, and Loco Roco have negligible load-times, and even games like Burnout aren't bad.

Conversely, I'm sure that developers like Bethesda can still manage to create some serious load-times.

1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all.
Sold. Seriously, I can't stand loud machines anymore. Give me quiet and I'll support you.
5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.
So, does this mean load times this generation remain about the same as load times last generation, which stayed the same as the generation before it. Do we see a pattern? Or have I just accepted longer load times and not realized it? I'm sure someone's done a study...

Aye i was thinking the same thing. want to see a video of the load time from the main menu of the game to gameplay.

Also I noticed there was a black screen displayed for longer then 4 seconds. I remember how you could never do that on the PSone as it was a certification requirement to not having a black screen for more than 4 sec ;)

That might have something to do with the game not being finished.

Pretty much what I expected, the ps3 interface should be no problem if you ever used a psp. Nice to have even another confirmation of being a silent console. :)

I really like the PSP interface, it's fast, intuituve and easy to access.
It's good to see Sony is adopting a similar interface in PS3, and also in many other products like TV's and AV receivers.
It's not the flashiest, most colourful interface there is (I'm sure some would prefer a more pimp'd up interface, with crome finishes, led mockups and such... ;) ) but it's easy on the eye and functional more than [/i]ornamental[/i].

I guess, like the PSP, the background colour changes every month, should you wish, or you can use any photo as a wallpaper.
It'd be nice if they offered different "wave effects" to replace the original, and for PSP too.

Pfft.... CGI.

;)

Seriously, the guys keep going on and on about the fingerprints... Stop touching the damn thing then!!

My views on the whole thing:

quientess = GOOD
shininess = DON'T LIKE
March 2007 = PERFECT (i should be on a higher salary then - heck, i should be on a higher salary NOW but that's another issue...)

Font is too smal to be functional imo. I've the same TV and I know it will be unreadable from where I sit (2 meters away from the screen), let's not even talk about SDTV.

I'm sure they'll provide different settings. Even from a health and safety point of view, there should always be an option for people who can't see that well. And if they don't straight away, they will probably put an option in a software update once they see how many complaints they will get from people who can't read such small fonts on TVs.

"?1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all."

I can understand this being an relevant issue in the PC gaming world with the introduction of the dustbuster sounding 5800 and fact that most people pc gaming with thier pc within touching distance. I can't see why this is an issue with consoles. I have owned almost every console since the NES and none are loud enough to to be heard over a TV at a reasonable volume, when you are immersed in a game. I guess if you have the most sensitive ears, play with the console less than a foot away from your head or play your game with the TV set at whisper then low sound output might be a note worthy feature.

"?1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all."

I can understand this being an relevant issue in the PC gaming world with the introduction of the dustbuster sounding 5800 and fact that most people pc gaming with thier pc within touching distance. I can't see why this is an issue with consoles. I have owned almost every console since the NES and none are loud enough to to be heard over a TV at a reasonable volume, when you are immersed in a game. I guess if you have the most sensitive ears, play with the console less than a foot away from your head or play your game with the TV set at whisper then low sound output might be a note worthy feature.
You own the Xbox 360? The DVD drive is way too loud. It's true that if I turn the volume up on the TV, I don't mind the drive. But it is a form of white noise that washes out distinct sounds. And is immediately noticable during quiet moments in a game.

As soon as sound in a game starts to become of a high-level and you have an even half-decent surround system, it's going to bug you, drowning out sound in certain frequencies, and killing the mood when things quiet down to highten tension.

Even worse for movies, obviously - as a BluRay or music player, the PS3's quietness is going to count even more. I remember that the first PS2 was quite loud for DVD playback, and I put it into a cupboard to drown out the noise of the fan.

Then of course there's browsing, and if Linux does make it onto the machine, then I will be using my PS3 at home for practically everything I'm now using my PC for.

Yes it is Resistance.

What happened to the brown (and grey) tone for the human world ? and blue tone for alien environments ?

rabidrabbit said:
I really like the PSP interface, it's fast, intuituve and easy to access.
It's good to see Sony is adopting a similar interface in PS3, and also in many other products like TV's and AV receivers.
It's not the flashiest, most colourful interface there is (I'm sure some would prefer a more pimp'd up interface, with crome finishes, led mockups and such... ) but it's easy on the eye and functional more than [/i]ornamental[/i].

I guess, like the PSP, the background colour changes every month, should you wish, or you can use any photo as a wallpaper.
It'd be nice if they offered different "wave effects" to replace the original, and for PSP too.

Well... UI is a delicate thing. I hope they improve XMB further like:
* Bigger/adjustable fonts
* Some sort of shortcuts (for recently/frequently used icons) to speed up navigation.
* Even better use of color/highlights/effects to highlight selections (Sometimes it's hard to see depending on the background).
* Better organization (Do they have a PSP "Internet" tab ? I hope they organize it properly).
* Able to do multiple things at the same time (e.g., browse photos/watch slideshows while listening to music).
* Able to launch any Linux app within XMB (instead of dual boot).

Back