Weird HDD behaviour

This one has got me stumped, the faster I run my FSB, the slower my HDD runs..

With HDtach:

clock speed - - FSB - Burst - Sustained - Access time
3.33_________370___107_____90_______11.9
2.4__________266___148_____123_______8.5
1.5__________166___236_____191_______5.2
1.2__________133___293_____239_______4.2

Does somebody have any idea why this might be happening?

I'm running 2x WD150 raptor x's in RAID on a silicon image controller, found on the Abit Aw9D-MAxx plus Im using a E6600.

some pic links of benches
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3156/24ghzdy0.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9027/333ghzuv2.jpg
http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/9766/12ghzbp1.jpg

Does overclocking the FSB overclock the PCI bus? Do you have a PCI bus lock setting in the BIOS?

what does clock speed signify cpu speed in ghz ???

very strange as far as i can tell the transfer rate of a single raptor is 88mb/s so 2 in raid would be 176 mb/s how the hell are you getting 239 mb/s

Last edited by a moderator:
It totally doesn't make any sense. At first it might seem as if the controller was throttling somehow, but just watch the access times, man! That totally can't be!

I'm almost positive that this has to be a Windows vs dual core processors vs non-constant clock speeds thing. Thus my suggestion is to repeat the test with EIST disabled and HDTach forced to one core.

Microsoft released a fix for some timing issues on dual core machines AFAIK, you may want to search for that in their downloads section.

that doesnt look like a software issue to me. FSB effecting transfer speed would be hardware. On older boards the SATA wasnt locked down so overclocking actually increased their speed, obviously you're having a reverse effect, technically the FSB isnt suppose to be effecting that at all.

The AW8D board has split SATA configs, 1-4 operating through intel storage manager and 5-6 through sil3132, is it the same deal on your board? If it is try switching them.

I'd also switch the drives to IDE and see if it has the same effect.

Very possible its a BIOS issue.

Well, it does the same thing on my WD caviar that I have running on the Intel controller, at 1.2Ghz (cpu speed) I get a burst speed of over 350MB/s dat just aint right.

I don't see any EIST options and I've always have the C1E feature disabled in the bios.

Tell me more about this dual core patch?

Oh and I don't think it's the SATA controllre being overclocked or whatever, because it's a linear increase in speed with a decrease in FSB. Almost as if HD tach is normalising timing values based on the processor speed - but perhaps is reading that my e6600 is running at 2.4Ghz as it should do when instead it is running at 3.33 or 1.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using some other software, like Aida32 for example. I think is freeware and you should be able to find it with google.

that doesnt look like a software issue to me. FSB effecting transfer speed would be hardware.

If you slow down the clock you're using to measure time, and transfer the same amount of data (in fewer clock-ticks), you'll see a "fantasy" increase in throughput.

Back