PS3 Demo unit for some lucky retailer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, I heard that this huge supercomputer stand has only 4 ps3 empty shells and hidden inside are vcrs streaming video over the huge screens.

yeah, I know it makes sense, but when I first looked at that picture I was too impressed to think about that.

sony=marketing kings (one more time)

VCRs?
laugh.gif

Okay man put down the pipe.

Streaming videos wouldn't be unsurprising given there's no controllers or attempt at interactivity. Though I doubt they'd be usiong a VCR unless they want to give PS3 the worst image-quality of any platform any, and then showcase that on expensive 1080p panels. More likely is the footage is coming from the PS3s or some other source.

no shifty.. there is no ps3 in that huge thing. not even 1, not 4.

but, like you, I also just said WOW! when I saw that and my thoughts stopped at that. :LOL:

but, like you, I also just said WOW! when I saw that and my thoughts stopped at that. :LOL:
Unlike me. I didn't say wow. I also said "More likely is the footage is coming from the PS3s or some other source." That might be an HDD player. It's not a VCR though! And running videos is a standard marketting strategy. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're showing real game footage if you're showing game footage. The display then shows the hardware and what the hardware produces.

Well the managers or who ever are running the kiosk could have the controllers, they are wireless so it wouldnt be hard. They probably have video on the ps3's running in a loop off the hard drive.

I think the idea that there are no PS3s in there is quite ridiculous. It's so much easier to have real PS3s in there, imho, and compared to the cost of the TVs, the difference between a decent 1080p player and the price of a real PS3 is ridiculous. Not to mention that if you're going to roll out 15.000 of them, do you really want to have to replace them within months with real PS3 kiosks?

well, for one thing, common sense might be your friend here.
so, common sense tells you that when OPM gets a visit of an official sony person along with a ps3
for the editors of the official magazine to have a look at the machine for just a few hours,
and then he leaves taking that precious ps3 with him,
then its a bit more difficult to leave tetrads ps3's on display cases around the globe at the same time.

other than that, given the fact that some things are not still known about the ps3 hardware (because sony itself keeps them a secret),
it would be something of an udesired thing to happen that employees of a shop one night strip those ps3's and flash photos of every little detail on the internet.
I know I'd have done that. probably most of you, too.
plus there is always a chance that even a employee might mistreat ps3 just by fooling around/play with it.

I think sony is too good at marketing to have those things happen. or even the chance of the happening.
but other than the above, I've read it too.

my guess is that at some point those shells will be replaced by the shop-owners when stock of ps3's arrive at the shops, or even before that.

but nevertheless,
if you would bring me proof that there are actually tetrads of working ps3's inside those monoliths, - right now -
then I admit I'll be damn amazed!!!!! and of course, wrong!

so, common sense tells you that when OPM gets a visit of an official sony person along with a ps3
for the editors of the official magazine to have a look at the machine for just a few hours

You do know that there is a long time between when OPM writes their articles and when the magazine goes to print, right? So at the time of writing of the article, the PS3 was still an extremely rare thing, and what they got to see is one of those early PS3 prototypes labeled 'Test' that you can see in some early PS3 videos.

but nevertheless,
if you would bring me proof that there are actually tetrads of working ps3's inside those monoliths, - right now - then I admit I'll be damn amazed!!!!! and of course, wrong!

Well, considering the speed and number (i.e. only a few have been sighted) at which they are being dispatched, I'm going to assume that these are the real thing. Like I said above, it is very complicated to just fake it.

And your other concerns regarding a shopkeeper just opening one, well, they can simply require the shopkeepers to sign a few standard agreements on those things. Most shop-keepers will like to adhere to them because they like to sell Sony stuff, generally.

for the editors of the official magazine to have a look at the machine for just a few hours,
then its a bit more difficult to leave tetrads ps3's on display cases around the globe at the same time.
do you remember TGS, yeah that show 1 week ago, guess what Sony had about 200 PS3's for the public to play games so i don't really get your point.

if you would bring me proof that there are actually tetrads of working ps3's inside those monoliths, - right now -
no, it's YOU that you'll have to bring proof to support your argument, not the other way around.

both of you miss my logical points that do not sit well with you.

a) shop owner is a very different thing from employee. an employee that has the slightest interest in technology or ps3 would one night try to open the case and discover the secrets. and sell them for a good profit, too.

b) these pods are declared to be non-playable. so whats the point of putting actual ps3's inside right now?

c) sony has very recently declared massive shortage of blue ray diodes. can they afford sending around these ps3 tetra-pods just for playing videos?

d) I dont see any kind of fixture for a wired controller. you expect that passing costumers will be given the wireless ones to test the machines?

e) on TGS (slay) at least one ps3 overheated. you think sony will risk this again? by having quads of ps3's playing 24x7? for rolling demos? without proper attendance?

but you are right, I must bring solid proof to the table.
so I will try to do that also. I guess that if my logic doesnt fail me that wont be too dificult.

Last edited by a moderator:

a) shop owner is a very different thing from employee. an employee that has the slightest interest in technology or ps3 would one night try to open the case and discover the secrets. and sell them for a good profit, too.
LOL you're kidding me right? what secrets? they launch in japan in 40 days, and sell what to whom?

b) these pods are declared to be non-playable. so whats the point of putting actual ps3's inside right now?
what's the point of not putting them? i think you'll bring the C argument here so....

c) sony has very recently declared massive shortage of blue ray diodes. can they afford sending around these ps3 tetra-pods just for playing videos?
you're thinking small, think bigger, the amount of buzz and interest that those kiosks will genreate are worthing much more than the retail price of 4 consoles
d) I don't see any kind of fixture for a wired controller. you expect that passing costumers will be given the wireless ones to test the machines?
just because you don't see them that doesn't means that they are not there, and even if you're right, you just pointed out that it's not playable , maybe sony wants to show videos that demonstrate the awesomeness of ps3 games.
e) on TGS (slay) at least one ps3 overheated. you think sony will risk this again? by having quads of ps3's playing 24x7? for rolling demos? without proper attendance?
First of all we don't know if this is true, i'am sorry but kotaku is hardly a reliable source, but let's assume for the sake of argument that this is true, what are you suggesting? that sony should not have demo kiosks?

What's wrong with showing video as long as they are genuinely created by PS3 ? Do they really have to use all 4 (May be 1 playable and 3 fakes) ?

As more PS3s become available, the fake ones can be replaced by playable ones depending on how effective the demos are. Initially, I don't think they need them.

The Home Theater display setup in another thread seems more convincing to pimp Sony devices.

Sorry, but assumptions and wild speculation do not amount to "logical points", no matter how much you wish it does. The idea that there are only empty shells in these display cases unless someone else proves otherwise is not a valid position from a logical point of view. That's quite illogical, if you put forth an argument, you have to support it with facts yourself and not demand others prove you incorrect.

what? So this explains that they are not actual PS3s in there? I dont get your logic. Explain better.

Because they are unfinished games with bugs probably?

Thats more logical but under the same logic the used PS3s at TGS and at the VF playable testing demonstrations will end up in a box to be sold later.
d) I dont see any kind of fixture for a wired controller. you expect that passing costumers will be given the wireless ones to test the machines?

Who knows? They are just there for display for the obvious reason mention earlier. Games are unfinished.

Also Sony will sure want and NEED to have real PS3s on display at shops in November ready for people to try. And we know 100% for sure they will. Its not strange if Sony may decide to have real PS3s earlier. We are in Octomber just one and a half month away from launch

This is also another indication that your logic may be wrong that Sony cant have PS3s only for display just because they have problem supplying enough PS3s

You took one small example that could be anything and made a big issue out of it. PS2s had more technical problems near and after launch. Just because one site in the internet showed a possibly overheated PS3 means nothing.

Ther were other more credible claims (even in these forums) that the PS3 has no problems

but you are right, I must bring solid proof to the table.
so I will try to do that also. I guess that if my logic doesnt fail me that wont be too dificult.
They may be real PS3s and they may not who knows?

But face it. All you have made are assumptions. Yet you mention them as if its a 100% sure thing.

So, the OPM doesnt have the ps3 anymore? Has this been confirmed?

other than that, given the fact that some things are not still known about the ps3 hardware (because sony itself keeps them a secret),
it would be something of an udesired thing to happen that employees of a shop one night strip those ps3's and flash photos of every little detail on the internet.
I know I'd have done that. probably most of you, too.
plus there is always a chance that even a employee might mistreat ps3 just by fooling around/play with it.
If they're going to violate the company trust so wildly, wouldn't that sort of a person be more inclined to steal the TVs worth a darned site more? Or at least the TVs + PS3s and sell the latter on eBAY?

but nevertheless,
That's whacky debating. You haven't provien your point, and no-one can prove this point either. All we can do is reason likelihoods. As Arwin points out, given the speed of rollout, if Sony are willing to roll out empty demo pods, why so few? They could put empty shells playing videos all over Japan. For masters of marketting, willing to show videos instead of the finished product, doesn't it strike you as odd that Sony take their marketting to only a few places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back