The Big Forza 2 Thread *

Downloaded Motegi and played it for a bit. Ofcourse the Oval is boring as hell but the road course is a lot of fun. Very techincal with a fair bit of subtle dips and raises that wreck hell on a car that's loaded up already!

Now if they release Infenion raceway/Sears Point, I'll be a happy panda.

Another track with some cars are coming. The track will be Road America.

I loved this track. By the way am I the only n00b who plays the career with ABS turned on?

i played without abs turned on

I did with and without. The odd races where you need to race a specific car with a completely difference brakes, I just could not be bothered to adjust brake pressure (and in some cases with factory spec races, you can't).

Cheers

You want to race a R8 on a drag strip ?:rolleyes:

Cheers

Two different things my friend ;)

I want the R8 just to drive around track-wise

I want the drag strip specifically for other vehicles :D

They had it in the first game iirc, so its odd they took it out of the second one :|

quat1.jpg

bmwe30.jpg

r8nur.jpg

ostepop, arwin, infinity, maybe race sometime?

I loved this track. By the way am I the only n00b who plays the career with ABS turned on?

It's much more realistic if you leave it on. On anything stickier than gravel, ABS has advantages that are impossible for any driver to produce without it. Namely, the ability to relieve each corner independantly.

So just about any modern sports car, and these days just about any car with over 130hp, has abs.

And there is no reason to "turn it off." BMW, well known for their stand on 100% defeatable driving aids, does not offer the ability to disable abs.

The origional Dodge Viper has no ABS throughout its entire production and in every edition. Look up some old comparison articles and notice how the Viper is ranked at the bottom in braking performance. Thats why the new one has ABS.

I was once enjoying a midnight drive in a Viper ACR and it was not a gentle drive. At one point -the highlight of my night- the Viper's dim... innadequate headlights revealed to me gravel spilled on the road. I had a turn coming and I had planned on turning ...fast... so I was approaching at an appropriate speed for my plan. Slowing that freakshow down on a narrow, wavy, road with ice-cube sized gravel scattered about was a revelation to me. Because I've done the exact same thing countles times but never once in a car without ABS.

The way modern sports cars are designed, I'd consider abs a basic component of the braking system.

So. Yeah. Don't turn it off.

It's much more realistic if you leave it on. On anything stickier than gravel, ABS has advantages that are impossible for any driver to produce without it. Namely, the ability to relieve each corner independantly.

So just about any modern sports car, and these days just about any car with over 130hp, has abs.

And there is no reason to "turn it off." BMW, well known for their stand on 100% defeatable driving aids, does not offer the ability to disable abs.

The origional Dodge Viper has no ABS throughout its entire production and in every edition. Look up some old comparison articles and notice how the Viper is ranked at the bottom in braking performance. Thats why the new one has ABS.

I was once enjoying a midnight drive in a Viper ACR and it was not a gentle drive. At one point -the highlight of my night- the Viper's dim... innadequate headlights revealed to me gravel spilled on the road. I had a turn coming and I had planned on turning ...fast... so I was approaching at an appropriate speed for my plan. Slowing that freakshow down on a narrow, wavy, road with ice-cube sized gravel scattered about was a revelation to me. Because I've done the exact same thing countles times but never once in a car without ABS.

The way modern sports cars are designed, I'd consider abs a basic component of the braking system.

So. Yeah. Don't turn it off.

The problem here is I don't think that ABS as represented in Forza 2 really has any relation to the real thing beyond the basic "prevent the wheels from completely locking up during heavy braking." I don't believe it accurately models how a RL ABS system functions and is really just a crutch for people who have not yet learned proper cornering technique.

In Forza 2, turning off ABS forces you to learn the exact limit of your available traction and therefore teaches when and how much to brake going into a given corner. In the long run this makes you a more-skilled and faster driver. Since there are no RL consequences to a trip off the tarmac and into the dirt/grass and/or wall it's actually worth it IMO to suffer through the initial adjustment period and the eventual occasional misjudging of a turn as the end result is that you will be better at the game.

OTOH, IRL all of your points are absolutely correct.

So I've been playing this game with a friend lately and watching him play a lot as it's his save game but I'm usually tasked with tuning and beating particularly difficult or lengthy races.

Fun game. Racing feels right. Playing on an SD screen so can't comment on graphics or sound much, but it more than does the job. Physics seem pretty much spot on as far as I can tell, but I haven't driven my IRL car (no, I don't mean Indy) in the game so I can't be 100% certain on that.

Back