The Big Forza 2 Thread *

After playing the N-ring on froza2, there is simply no room for PGR3 comparisons. This is downright awesome. You can actually see the track far into the distance. Coming down hills you get a beautiful view of the country side or the small tourist hangouts. Coming down the straight out of the last corner you can see the entire forest along with the old Castle. In the beginning of the track you can even see the F1 circuit next to you!

Since I used an Audi R8 for all my track runs, it was very cool to see how that car, without any tuning was suited well for smooth circuits such as Silverstone but protested heavily at tracks like the ring and the infamous Laguna dip going up the hill on Turn 6. Normally in other games, the car has a certain trait that is flat from track to track but in Forza2 the car characteristics were based on the circuit itself and would alter dramatically track to track.

If I don't spend atleast 200+ hours on this, I'll be very shocked. So far the best $60 I've spent on a 360 game in terms of price to playtime ratio.

In case you haven't realized, if you have an inferior car, your gonna be slower. Once your ahead of somebody in real life, making him stay behind you, is a much easier task than overtaking someone, especially if you got the faster car. If i go to nurburgring with my car, and Schumacher does a lap vs me in a Lupo, im going to win.

I disagree. If you've ever been on the track, you might be aware that driver's ability is by far the most limiting factor, unless you are racing on a drag strip.

The way I take his statement(s) are that being in the quicker car or slowest car leaves little room for drivers ability to make the deciding difference - something that is one of the biggest real life factors on the track. I'm also sure that has a reviewer, he has some point of reference to base his arguments on and is reason why he feels about Forza 2. Picking holes in statements by taking them out of context isn't really helping your argument.

I disagree. If you've ever been on the track, you might be aware that driver's ability is by far the most limiting factor, unless you are racing on a drag strip.

I would disagree, if the guy your racing with has learned the basics and has a faster car, as long as he gets in front initially, passing him is going to be very hard in a underpowered car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I take his statement(s) are that being in the quicker car or slowest car leaves little room for drivers ability to make the deciding difference

Well I can speak directly to the statement, it's pretty much a load of BS.

I'm racing in the 150hp challenge, a full 2 classes above my competition(extreme weight reduction, race tires etc), and still have an extremely hard time winning due to the drift-happy Trueno I'm driving. I should be kicking their ass but it's real tough, and I'm a pretty decent driver.

Maybe if you're a full 3 or 4 classes above everyone else in the field, it doesn't take much driver skill to win, but as soons as you get even remotely close, it's a whole new ballgame, and it's all about driver skill.

With that said, it really depends on the course. For example, in NY with 2 huge straight-aways, the most powerful car is going to win everytime, but in Tsukaba a car that can corner better will be able to beat the 'faster' cars, so it all depends.

I am very satisfied with the game so far. I started off in the Asian region on Professional difficulty and picked a Toyota MR-S as my first car. I was finally able to adjust for (what seemed to me to be) the overly-sensitive pedals by adjusting the leading deadzone up 10% (25% total). I am much better able to modulate my accelerator when using the wheel now.

The "medium" AI seems a bit too easy for me, though, and it seems that I am going to have to tackle my main handicap in the game (manual shifting) so I can move up to the hardest setting. To give you an idea, in my last race I smoked the competition despite my car rating only being mid-C class and the top 2 cars in the race being a full class higher. Generally, at this point I only lose when I make mistakes (which TBH still happens a lot). The AI cars are just moving obstacles, really, instead of real competition.

Of course, I have been upgrading and tuning my car the whole time to give it just the right feel. I have tweaked the car so that I can break the rear loose pretty much at will without it breaking loose when I don't want it to. Throttle steering is fun and rewarding on the first track of the MR challenge. :cool:

I would disagree, if the guy your racing with has learned the basics and has a faster car, as long as he gets in front initially, passing him is going to be very hard in a underpowered car.

Then I'm just going to assume you never have been on a track indeed. "Faster car" is but one factor among many others that might only help you on the straight and nothing more (which btw means little if another car/driver can carry more speed out of the corner). I've seen drivers in less powerful cars beat quicker, "better" cars to the point of it being far from funny and would surely make you rethink some of your statements. There's an awful large gap between "learned the basics" and mastering it as some drivers are able to do, regardless of the type of car.

Registration required :???:

really? sorry

OK, I've had time to collect my thoughts a bit and catch up with the workday after being useless at 7am this morning, so here goes in random order:

GAME IS BAD ASSSSSSS ONLINE. I was afraid that it wouldn't be much fun, for some reason. That the sense of speed wouldn't be there. That the super cars would rule the day. After many hours last night sandwiched around the Stanley Cup Finals game, none of that was a concern any longer. I think that they really managed to pull of the handicapping system the way that they hoped...cars with crazy acceleration and speed will get eaten up in the corners, and cars that can take the corners on rails will get gobbled in the straights. I haven't found one 'can do everything' car in any class yet other than the R1's, which only have 2 cars available out of the gates and both are identical other than looks.

If anything, the top speed value is a huge factor this time, which is the case any time you're racing cars. In one particular race Jon had a car that was .5 better top speed than the one I was racing, and he would just yard me every straightaway. But getting it stopped and through a corner was another issue, as I kept closing the gap and pulling up to his bumper every time the road curved. In the end, the top speed won on that particular track, but if we have that same race on another windy track with the same cars I would guarantee the slower, more nimble car would win it. I really do think that you could take a single car and tune it with different gear ratios and settings from track to track and make it a universal ride, but it would take some work. It wouldn't be a "plug and play" dominator like the CRX was last year, for instance.

The Performance Indicator value is superb. If Jon and I raced with equal cars the racing was sublime. If we varied it a bit, you could really tell...a car with 20 points more in the PI would be just a bit stronger on the track than its opponents. Cars that were equal PI, but radically different ratings (such as the top speed vs handling competition earlier) finished about a second apart despite driving so differently. After some tuning, perhaps that slower car could lose some of its nimbleness and pick up some top speed and draw dead even. I think they pulled it off, and made it so no supercar can dominate. It will take more than 1 day, for sure, but early results are positive. It's also changed my stance on "forcing stock upgrades and tuning". Since you have a much better feel on car performance other than the generic "D, C, B, A" ratings, it's almost a necessity to allow upgrades and tuning options to facilitate a wider range of cars instead of the stock arcade rides available.

The online performance is brilliant. You can force any driving assists on or off for the entire field, set up single circuit or series races with a big payoff at the end, adjust the distance and time countdown when the race finishes, and car classes available. I was able to go in and set the vehicles to "No Race Cars", or "Only D", for example, and then further go into the PI index and say :love:00, so the entire stable of "cream of the crop" D class cars were eliminated. Later on we were self-handicapping ourselves and taking cars in the 330 range and allowing some of the drivers who were struggling to take the field in 399 cars, and that seemed to work out well. The guys who were in the back usually finished in the same spot, but they were able to hang tough longer and really put up a fight, rather than just watching us check out at turn one and never seeing us again. It really served its purpose. The ability to set the starting grid to random, lobby points, reverse true skill ranking, true skill ranking, or any other number of options really lets you start a race in almost any way that you see fit, with slow guys in front, slow guys in back, or anywhere in between.

The only thing I think I'm in direct disagreement with (compared to almost everybody else I heard last night) is the "virtual line" thing that we have enabled. I'm all for ABS...if you want to use it, most cars have it anyway and the braking model is funky. But this virtual line is nothing but a crutch to me, and it takes away the majority of what makes a race car driver good...the ability to memorize a track, hit his marks, and perform. What's worse, if a guy isn't using the braking line or ABS and racing a guy of equal skill who is, it's almost a guarantee that the "memorization" guy will cook it a few times while anybody using the line will drive a track on his first time like a veteran. I've never been a fan of assists, and really plan to elminate that braking line next time unless there's a serious uproar against it. It's just not in the realism area. I can deal with ABS, TCS, and STM a lot easier than I can deal with some magical floating green line on the track essentially serving as an autopilot. Rant off.

At the end of the night, though, I was dreaming of that damned game. I started to really get a feel on the brake and acceleration travel and how far to push the pedals to really keep it at the edge of traction, and some of the battles online were epic. I think once we start building our career stables and tuning them to suit us, we'll see some really varied fields of cars being competitive.

I haven't tried the game with the controller yet, only the wheel. It was natural from the moment I started my first race.

I set the dead zone in the controller options to 1% and saturation to 100%, allowing a full travel in everything...steering, throttle, and brake. It was easy to drive from the moment I fired it up.

The FF is weak...period. Turns and acceleration don't really do much. It's really bizarre, because you can bang off another car and have not much of anything going on, but then you hit a curb and the wheel has a VERY strong jerk in your hands. You can feel when you lose grip over an elevation change, as the wheel goes slack somewhat, but overall I didn't think a lot about the FF, which means it's pretty forgettable to me.

They finally included an interface in a driving game that works with the wheel and it's obvious. Instead of the last Forza where you had to look around with the R stick, with a wheel you HAVE no R stick and you were limited. I found a controller option inside of the options that let me set my look left and right to X and B, look back to Y, and camera to A as well as the paddles for shifting, etc. I don't have a handbrake, but I've never been one to use a handbrake in a game anyway.

After doing that, I had no more blind spots, even in the bumper cam. As soon as the car cleared my "side" cameras when using X/B, it was cleared by me. I tested it a few times (and I apologize to drivers who just saw me weave over like a bat out hell during these tests, since you were unwitting guinea pigs for me to test clearances and whatnot), and never had a "quarterpanel collision" when thinking I cleared somebody. It's also quite nice that it's an instant-snap-view instead of a pan, so you can even use it mid corner to see if somebody's sliding up into you, etc.

The paint shop and most menus now use the LT and RT (pedals on the wheel) to move around in as well, so no more rotating and spinning with R stick and positioning with Left...so you can still actually use the paint shop and whatnot with the wheel.

Overall, the control was tight, the FF served its purpose but was largely ignored, and the interface was streamlined with the wheel in mind. I'm a happy man.

So I've gone a complete 180 degrees...not excited about the game before release to really wondering where I'll get the time to play it as much as I'll want to, and wondering whether it will have legs with the DSP crowd. I really haven't had that kind of fun racing on a console since the initial PGR2 days where everybody was just going apesh*t at the ability to race online lag free. It had that kind of magical 'sweet spot' for me last night, and it got stronger and stronger as the night progressed.

I'm so completely and totally "all in" on this one...

One other thing...anybody complaining about the sense of speed in this game is either driving from the third person view, or in a really slow car. We had some races last night in the R1 cars and I was practically wetting myself at top speed.

Then I'm just going to assume you never have been on a track indeed. "Faster car" is but one factor among many others that might only help you on the straight and nothing more (which btw means little if another car/driver can carry more speed out of the corner). I've seen drivers in less powerful cars beat quicker, "better" cars to the point of it being far from funny and would surely make you rethink some of your statements.

I'm going to assume that i think of a bigger difference between the "faster" car ability than the bad, than you do. If the difference is tiny, of course driving ability is going to be the deciding factor. If the difference is bigger, it may not be that at all.

When your racing against another car, and the car in front of you is faster, and his trying actively to stop you, going past that car without doing a PIT manuvre is HARD. Your basically relying on the other guy to make mistakes.

Ofcourse driving skill helps, but the car is a very real and limiting factor as well.

Most instances you see in real life, where the worse car wins, is because to guy driving the better (and usually the most expensive car) backs out faster, because hes not going to risk it. I to, have seen more powerful and faster cars getting whiped by worse cars, because the other guy doesn't know how to turn (thats not having learned "the basics" imo. basics means you know how to handle a car in over\under steer, you know what a turn apex is, etc), also, they are letting the other guy pass.

I have also seen Tommy Rustad (STCC champion from a while back) getting whiped in his own STCC car, by an amature racer in a tuned up M3 CSL (Turbocharged etc) on Ruudskogen. If we measured lap times, Rustad might have won, but we weren't. Amature guy got in front, and didn't budge. He took the turns slower, put the combination of being in front and better accel, was enough. Rustad couldn't pass without damaging his car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving talent matters a ton at trackdays, car or bike. Once you start getting up in diff. competition levels, car and bike starts becoming more and more important.

Hdr?

I don't think the graphics changed (2xx AA), it had to go gold a few weeks ago when the demo came out. Here is a discussion on the subject.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/permalink/109847/172802/ShowThread.aspx#172802

That being said the graphics were never bad, an 8/10 for sure, but you have to leave some head room for games that live on eye candy exclusively, this is a sim after all.

I keep looking at Forza pictures and video and wonder why it has such a "flat" look. I wonder if it has HDR. Always in dark areas and bright areas there is not so much detail. Maybe real game on TV is different but in pictures and videos this is what I see. Also where is highlights? I dont know. Something is missing in lighting and reflections of light and background for me. Backgrounds also have not so much lighting effects for me but maybe this is very subtle and I cannot see it. I cannot be sure.

Finally beat Arcade Exhibition races. I made sure to do it with fast cars so it'd be a challenge. Sebring full track was a pain in the ass. The Ferrari 333SP was on my ass and usually kicking it over and over. Finally figured out my markers into the slow right after a long run to hold that bastard off.

The Ring was a pain because I have no self control :( even with a big lead, I'd try to maximize every corner and end up spinning out over and over. Luckily these controllers are tough! and held the abuse of getting slammed rather well.

I'm going to assume that i think of a bigger difference between the "faster" car ability than the bad, than you do. If the difference is tiny, of course driving ability is going to be the deciding factor. If the difference is bigger, it may not be that at all.

When your racing against another car, and the car in front of you is faster, and his trying actively to stop you, going past that car without doing a PIT manuvre is HARD. Your basically relying on the other guy to make mistakes.

That's the problem. A better driver in a car that might also have a higher cornering speed might be able to carry a lot more speed out of the corner. As a result, at that point, the slower car in your specific case would already have a speed advantage over the faster car that would have to accelerate up to and beyond the speed of the slower car to beat it. This is by some, at times, refered to as a sling-shot overtake. Racing has a lot more to do than in-gear acceleration and which is the fastest car - I thought that was pretty much obvious.

Ostepop said:
Most instances you see in real life, where the worse car wins, is because to guy driving the better (and usually the most expensive car) backs out faster, because hes not going to risk it. I to, have seen more powerful and faster cars getting whiped by worse cars, because the other guy doesn't know how to turn (thats not having learned "the basics" imo. basics means you know how to handle a car in over\under steer, you know what a turn apex is, etc), also, they are letting the other guy pass.

We weren't talking about most instances in real life - we were talking about how the IGN reviewer feels that on a racing track, there's not enough room for drivers ability to make the difference in a race. You disagreed with his observation stating that it is very hard to beat a driver *who has learned the basics* with a faster car in front. Not to mention that I doubt the simulated AI drivers in Forza 2 are driving maniacs that will do anything to not let the player past - my point is that there are a lot more factors that determin if a slower car is able to beat a faster one. Drivers ability, the point of the reviewer, is surely one of them - other car characteristics like cornering speed, handling, weight, grunt, etc are also relevant factors.

Back