The Big Forza 2 Thread *

Kind of bad if the game is switching to 2x on a view with a single car, a few buildings, and a couple people. ;)

Thanks for the link, one.

So that means the game has 0xAA sometimes and 2xAA or 4xAA other times. Suck.
Their PR have done a good job of enticing people though.

So that means the game has 0xAA sometimes and 2xAA or 4xAA other times. Suck.
Their PR have done a good job of enticing people though.

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are full of it at times.

I kind of knew 4xAA would only be applied at a given time (replay mode mostly).

That image looks like 4x to me. There is just loads of shader aliasing. Focus in on the spoiler fins, or other areas with less contrast and there it looks far more significant.

Actually on second look, parts look like 2x, parts look like 4x. There aren't any areas with significant lack of AA. The jpeg compression makes it pretty much impossible to be certain eitherway imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That image looks like 4x to me. There is just loads of shader aliasing. Focus in on the spoiler fins, or other areas with less contrast and there it looks far more significant.

Actually on second look, parts look like 2x, parts look like 4x. There aren't any areas with significant lack of AA. The jpeg compression makes it pretty much impossible to be certain eitherway imo.

Che compresses the living hell out of pictures. I've told him about this as well.

Che's pic has a filesize of 85.52 KB. For example, this is the same pic Tecmo released for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. This is IGN's version and info.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/751/751774/ninja-gaiden-sigma-20061219064551916.jpg
Filesize = 133.38 KB

This is Gamespot's version and info.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/352/935677_20061219_screen012.jpg
Filesize = 273.78 KB

So much gets lost when they compress the pics like they do. I used to think IGN was bad until Che got hold of these pics.

Best video so far!!: ( download with right button )

http://achama3.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/files/forza_kansen.mp4

I's it just me or does anyone else think the reflections on the bodywork and windows are running a lot slower that everything else? It was a small gripe i had in the original Forza, not really a big thing, just breaks the illusion a little bit.

Then again it could be something that will get ironed out in the weeks to come, but so far i'm becoming more impressed with the look its taking, seems to be looking more 'real' so to speak.

I's it just me or does anyone else think the reflections on the bodywork and windows are running a lot slower that everything else? It was a small gripe i had in the original Forza, not really a big thing, just breaks the illusion a little bit.

They are.
Although I'd expect (hope) they at least make the front facing portion of the cube map faster when using the internal view.

That image looks like 4x to me. There is just loads of shader aliasing.

hm... I was thinking of shader aliasing, but... I'm not sure what that is exactly. I see a bunch of artifacting near the top of the car where the bright highlights are. Is that it?

The two NG: S pics pretty much demonstrate the introduction of significant edge aliasing... Me thinks Che needs to lay off on the uber compression since the internet isn't limited by a particular disc size. *cough* ;) 600KB doesn't seem that heavily compressed for a 720p image though.

Che compresses the living hell out of pictures. I've told him about this as well.

Che's pic has a filesize of 85.52 KB. For example, this is the same pic Tecmo released for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. This is IGN's version and info.

So much gets lost when they compress the pics like they do. I used to think IGN was bad until Che got hold of these pics.

Forgive me but that sounds dump. They are the ones who released those pix and they didn't recognize that? by the way the Che's pic filesize is 598 KB not 85 KB.
If they release the same pic with aliasing cleaned up, that just means they touched it up.

Forgive me but that sounds dump. They are the ones who released those pix and they didn't recognize that? by the way the Che's pic filesize is 598 KB not 85 KB.
If they release the same pic with aliasing cleaned up, that just means they touched it up.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

forza2captureel2.jpg

Back to the point at hand. I've never seen a lossless 720p, but I do know that Che's pic is 3x less filesize wise than a 720p pic from Gamespot. It's not hard to put two and two together then.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

forza2captureel2.jpg

Back to the point at hand. I've never seen a lossless 720p, but I do know that Che's pic is 3x less filesize wise than a 720p pic from Gamespot. It's not hard to put two and two together then.

We're all referring to this:

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/169653761320070424102542.jpg
or
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/58843/Forza-Motorsport-2/

(Same pic, same size)

See post 698 (one's post) then post 702 (Tap In) and onwards.

Small lines like cords or powerlines aren't good for measuring how much AA a game has. Such small lines thend to get aliased even with the use of high AA and also depending on type of rendering. But there are other parts of the ss that hints that it is 2xAA.
Neverthless if they use temporal AA then it will be effective 4xAA when playing the game. For replays that run at 30fps they can use standard 4xAA becouse temporal AA wont work at that framerate.

We're all referring to this:

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/169653761320070424102542.jpg
or
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/58843/Forza-Motorsport-2/

(Same pic, same size)

See post 698 (one's post) then post 702 (Tap In) and onwards.

Best I can gather, this is a TXB screenshot taken from their preview build, it is not from Che or Forzamotorsport.net. It's the same build that Gamespot took their captures/video's from.

homy said:
They are the ones who released those pix and they didn't recognize that?

You're the one who sounds dumb actually (what else is new), as this is a TXB screenshot, it was never 'released', it's taken from their preview build. Forzamotorsports official screens are around 150p-500kb each depending on the batch.

It would be great if you'd quit trolling and polluting the forums here. At least stay in the PS3 threads where you obviously belong.

Is it nitpicking to want to know what's up with the AA :?: We were told 4xAA, then one's link says it's dynamic AA according to load (which seems bad if there's that screenshot that shows almost nothing yet the aliasing is a mixed bag), and then there's the issue of screenshot compression. Or it could be some sort of jitter AA...

:???:

I just want to know the truth and why some of the screenshots aren't consistent.

then one's link says it's dynamic AA according to load

I was hoping One could clarify that point a little more since it was taken from a Japanese interiew.

It seems to me this sort of dynamic system would be useful for a Demo at GDC to keep the framerate smooth, but not something they would include in the final game.

yea, I expect che will comment on this eventually in one of the Pit Pass reports.

in the meantime, for those who are only coming into the thread to pick on one (possibly old) screen shot, watch the recent videos of the game in motion instead. The quality of the stuff on the net is ridiculously bad in general compared to games actually running on an HDTV at home, but this gives us a reasonable idea.

Skid marks are your benchmark for a true racing simulation? And here I was thinking it was all about physics and handling...

Skid marks add to the visual realism, which adds to the overall feeling that the game wants to mimick reality. Glowing brake discs, skid marks, smoke, blurring of the ground, small things that add much when combined. It's all about pleasing all the senses, sound, graphics, realism and macho factor (my digital car is better than yours and looks hawt!). :yep2:

Back