The Big Forza 2 Thread *

Now about the game....:p

Ok let's try ;). Some of these 4wd cars in games are, by default, set up for either rally or tarmac conditions. This makes a big difference in the handling. So if a game like Forza supports this kind of setting (for instance VCD customisation or whatever it is called these days), then this means you can tweak the handling to give it just that little bit more of a RWD feel that can help with racing on a bendy track. This is important in terms of how a car's driveability translates to a game.

How well two cars compare depends for a very large part on the track you compare them on. A short twisty track with few long straights is going to cater for a whole different category of cars than a long straight with two bends in it, for instance. ;)

The only measure of a car's value is the length of its dick, right? ;)

On a related note, if I remember correctly from watching a whole series of Japanese car-shows, the BMW M series completely whacked all Japanese competitors consistently. Has that changed yet?

I dont trust those japanese car shows. Seen so many of those videos on the net where they have some japanese cars racing against Ferrari's, Porsche, Lambo's etc and for some weird reason those Japanese cars always seem to win or be really close. Wich is just bollocks.

I dont trust those japanese car shows. Seen so many of those videos on the net where they have some japanese cars racing against Ferrari's, Porsche, Lambo's etc and for some weird reason those Japanese cars always seem to win or be really close. Wich is just bollocks.

Most of the Lambo's and Ferrari's aren't really as track-focused as those Japanese modded cars. It's really not that surprising, really...

How well two cars compare depends for a very large part on the track you compare them on. A short twisty track with few long straights is going to cater for a whole different category of cars than a long straight with two bends in it, for instance. ;)

Easy solution:

You go race on the track which has loads of long straights, and loads of bends and twisted. Coincidentally, this is also where "everybody" who is a car manufacturer that cares about how well the car performs on a track goes to test the prototypes: Nurburgring.

Seen so many of those videos on the net where they have some japanese cars racing against Ferrari's, Porsche, Lambo's etc and for some weird reason those Japanese cars always seem to win or be really close. Wich is just bollocks.

Are they drag racing? OR racing on a track?

Its no problem building a car that can out do a ferrari, lambo or porsche on a simple drag race, top gear did it with 25 year old Jaguar XJ, just rip out most things that have significant weight, add a nitrus kit, and your good to go.

On track it gets harder, but in general ferrari's, lambo's and porsche's arent made with the mentality of having the fastest lap around the track, its made in order to have good, fast, fun, and be decent on a track. Things like comfort of the ride (aspecially in the later models) means that it wont go as fast as it could, things having actual interiors now, made of leather and stuff like that, means its going to be slower.

Further, tradition hold some of these cars back, as with the Porsche 911, the engine being in the back and not in the middle has hurt the 911's abilities as a track car, rather being a sledgehammer than something that will turn. (The later installments are much better of course, but its still slower on a track than it could be, because of tradition).

Other factors is that cars like ferrari, lambo's and porsches, also has to have a certain reliability (it doesnt have to be great, but it has to be somewhat decent). While a tuner doesnt really have the same problems.

Next we got marketing, the lamburghini Gallardo was actually detuned, because the initial cars were faster than its $150 000 more expensive big brother, Murcielago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see how the engine placement has hurt the 911's track performance. It's one of the most successfull racing cars of all time. The engine placement is ecxellent for the track - means you can get the power down earlier than in a front or mid engined car. It just needs a difference technique.

Can't see how the engine placement has hurt the 911's track performance. It's one of the most successfull racing cars of all time. The engine placement is ecxellent for the track - means you can get the power down earlier than in a front or mid engined car. It just needs a difference technique.

I concur to an extent. It's excellent on dry asphalt, not so good on the wet though IMO.

Easy solution:

You go race on the track which has loads of long straights, and loads of bends and twisted. Coincidentally, this is also where "everybody" who is a car manufacturer that cares about how well the car performs on a track goes to test the prototypes: Nurburgring.

Are they drag racing? OR racing on a track?

Its no problem building a car that can out do a ferrari, lambo or porsche on a simple drag race, top gear did it with 25 year old Jaguar XJ, just rip out most things that have significant weight, add a nitrus kit, and your good to go.

On track it gets harder, but in general ferrari's, lambo's and porsche's arent made with the mentality of having the fastest lap around the track, its made in order to have good, fast, fun, and be decent on a track. Things like comfort of the ride (aspecially in the later models) means that it wont go as fast as it could, things having actual interiors now, made of leather and stuff like that, means its going to be slower.

Further, tradition hold some of these cars back, as with the Porsche 911, the engine being in the back and not in the middle has hurt the 911's abilities as a track car, rather being a sledgehammer than something that will turn. (The later installments are much better of course, but its still slower on a track than it could be, because of tradition).

Other factors is that cars like ferrari, lambo's and porsches, also has to have a certain reliability (it doesnt have to be great, but it has to be somewhat decent). While a tuner doesnt really have the same problems.

Next we got marketing, the lamburghini Gallardo was actually detuned, because the initial cars were faster than its $150 000 more expensive big brother, Murcielago.

No it was around a track. I have no idea if the japanese cars were tuned because I dont really understand japanese that good. Ofcourse Ferrari's etc arnt perfect for the track but I dont believe if you got these 4 lap races and the supercars are up front and suddenly get overtaken out of the blue by some japanese car like the euro car is standing still, I just dont believe that. Even if the Jap cars are tuned you still not going to get past a supercar like its nothing.

I've seen a couple of those videos, I can't remember what they are called though, but i think they are staged. Although the best driver always get the underdog.

One I remember was 911 Turbo, a Lambo (Murcielago or Gallardo), A Fezza of some sort and an NSX, there might have been another car or to (maybe another Fezza). Somehow the NSX won on the last lap! The subtitles even made a note that the NSX was seriously down on power compared to the others, and the track wasn't a tight twisty track like Anglesea or the Top Gear test track.

No it doesn't, and I have driven EVOs (and chased them on track) to know better.
What you're refering to is the nature of a AWD to understeer slightly (or less overstear happy) than a RWD car. The grip and cornering speed of an EVO though is up there with the best various supersprtscars have to offer, both on the rally/dirt tracks but also on grippy surfaces.

I enjoyed the handling of both the skyline and STI much more, it's not an AWD issue.

Perhaps I'm just not convinced because reality shows that you can't just take on engine out of one car and have it perform exactly the same in another car without any further modifications. I.e. taking an engine from an EVO IX (280bhp) and putting it into a car like a MR2 would first compromise weight and weight distribution (the EVO engine is much heavier than the alluminium engine of a standard MR2). Then there is the room issue one has to tacke for any engine swap, so you can forget all the large intercoolers in the EVO because there's simply no room in a MR2 to fit them or the airflow at the back of the car to justify it. So at the end, you'll be lucky to see substantially more power in a MR2 and have instead got a more heavy engine doing if only a bit better but have a much more dangerous / oversteer happy car because of all that weight at the back of the car.

AFAIR the swaps are fairly realistic, always from the same family of cars. We'll have to see how they handle the powertrain swaps, they have some serious gearheads over there though, so I don't expect it to be too outlandish.

yeah lol. Where you from? The United States? Because guys from the United States tend to think that driving in a straight is called street racing.

oh and afaik a GTR beats the shit out of that Trans AM? in terms of handling. Don't you think?

I'm in the states, yeah. And driving in a straight line is racing. No less than ice racing or autocrossing or canyon runs or legal speed limit road rallys.. Racing is a competition where you see which driver can do it faster. Period.

And of course, comparing cars alone, a GTR is superior to an old trans am in almost every conceivable way. But racing isn't really about that and alot of people just don't understand this. On that nite, an old Trans Am was faster than a GTR.

Yet somehow got beat by a GT-S that runs like 15.5?? I don't know how fast your buddies car could've been if it got beat by a stock GT-S. Good thing the skyline driver couldn't drive I guess!

The Celica didn't beat the Trans Am. The Celica driver beat the Trans Am driver.

And the GTR driver lost to the Trans Am driver.

"15.5" Doesn't mean much of anything in this scenario. We're talking about a stretch of road around 1/8 mile. Uneven, cold pavement. Big-boobed girl flagging. There's alot of xfactors that go on in a thing like this.

In case anyone missed it, the funny point of the story was that alot of spectators came away thinking the Celica was "faster" than a GT-R. They didn't understand how many things count towards the outcome of a simple little drag race!

Back