Banjo Threeie

Pre-E3 2008: Banjo-Kazooie: Platforming 101

When Microsoft and Rare finally lifted the veil on Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and gave the world a look at its imaginative update to the classic platforming franchise, the reactions were mixed. Some were excited for the possibilities and creativity the player-designed vehicles could bring to the gameplay. Some cried for the Banjo of yesteryear. And some were confused and thought they were looking at a racing game (read the words next to the pretty pictures). Rare and Microsoft took this mixed reception to heart and shaped the E3 demo to showcase how this latest Banjo adventure has stayed true to its roots while pushing the boundaries of what a platformer can be. Ken Lobb, Creative Director of Microsoft Game Studios, sat down with us to show why Rare believes this new-look Banjo is a natural evolution.

Video walkthroughs:

Showdown Town

Banjo Land

Interesting, sounds like they'll be using the Viva Pinata camera system, too, allowing you to print and scan in custom designs or pieces, and share them around the web.

cool

like a big, wide open, cuddly sandbox game with gorgeous textures and colors. also the physics of the custom vehicles is allegedly realistic regardless of what design elements you add.

still lots of time to tweak it too

After downloading the 720p versions of the walkthroughs, I have to say, tearing and frame rate drops aside, this game is gorgeous. The environments are huge too.

I'm going to make the most ridiculous vehicle possible. If it fits, it's going on it! Beautiful looking game.

I'm really glad they're taking this approach. This is something "next generation" power should have done from the start. It almost makes me want my 360 back to play it... but not that much.

That's for IGN insiders at the moment, correct? I guess I'll have to wait for gametrailers or gamespy.

I've asked this question before, but will ask again. Why, after the 4 minute mark, does Lobb say you need to "twist the controller around" ? The 360 controller does not twist or grab.

I've asked this question before, but will ask again. Why, after the 4 minute mark, does Lobb say you need to "twist the controller around" ? The 360 controller does not twist or grab.

the "rumor" is that E3 will reveal an MS motion controller. This and Viva Pinata 2 are both priced at $39 with the speculation being that $59 or $69 wil include new, said motion controller.

the "rumor" is that E3 will reveal an MS motion controller. This and Viva Pinata 2 are both priced at $39 with the speculation being that $59 or $69 wil include new, said motion controller.

They might use it in this game, but there is parts in this video that shows that Banjo does use a traditional controller.

Abit dissapointed with the graphics, framerate problems, tearing, pop-up..overal i find Kameo looks alot better IMO. Also the game world itself seems boring and not full of live and activity but i suspose thats just because R&C was just full of activity and life.

Still if it turns out as good as the first 2 games it'll be a winner :)

I don't think they've announced how many places you can get to from the hub world, but Rare have said the main hub world itself is far bigger than any level they've ever had in the previous games, so I imagine the scope is large :)

Back