X06: Which Announcement Will Have the Greatest Impact?

What announcement at X06 will carry the most weight for MS?

• Creation of a close relationship with Peter Jackson.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Halo games, and lot's of 'em!

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • GTA IV exclusive content

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • PGR4 unveiling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banjo Kazooie

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Bioshock MS platform exclusive

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Splinter Cell: DA exclusive

• HD-DVD@200; includes remote and film (King Kong)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Further build-out of Live Arcade

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 'Live Anywhere' and its arrival

• Total voters

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
I like the sort of market analysis discussions a thread like this can open up, so I figure lest someone else beat me to it, I might as well make one myself! ;)

Now, clearly success for 360 is a 'sum of its parts' type thing, so although the poll might seem a little constraining in being limited to one choice - or indeed making you choose at all - I feel it generally works to 'tone' conversation towards discussion of specific points rather than spawning a general free-for-all.

For me, I'm going to pick the 'general' relationship creation with Peter Jackson as my choice. It could result in absolutely nothing, and is by far the most nebulous of them all... but still, I feel that as long as Peter J stays personally interested in 360, it gives MS a sort-of intangible extension to their own business operations to combat Sony and their cross-media integration abilities. I also believe that the relationship gives subtle - at least short-term - boosts to their primary Halo IP and HD-DVD pushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the general strategy of expanding the Halo universe into other products is long overdue for MS. Its a great idea and critical for brand awareness (see:Nintendo).

Other than that i thought the most ironic announcement was the first live demo of AC was at x06 on the 360, what a difference a few months makes...

I agree, the forming of "Wingnut Interactive" in collaboration with MS was the most impactworthy news of the conference.
From the sound of it, it seems to be geared not as much towardds traditional games, but some other form of "interactive storytelling".
PJ was very vague of that, which isn't surprising really at this point of early developments.
It'll be interesting to see what will come of that. Hopefully more than just movie tie-in games that feature realtime cutscenes sharing movie assets.

Peter and Fran Jackson are still just one movie director/write amongst the many others who will surely want a piece of that "Next Gen Consoles that are Capable Of Producing Movie Quality Graphics and Effects" cake.

I think the Halo games are the biggest thing from the conference. It's still MS' only really major IP and the milking strategy they've cottoned onto will pay dividends for them.

I think Sony torpedoed the HD-DVD add-on when sanity prevailed and HDMI was added to the previously gimped 20gb PS3 version.

I think the general strategy of expanding the Halo universe into other products is long overdue for MS.

Some people on another forum have already made the suggestion to expand the franchise even further, following Nintendo's example. Halo Cart racing: Pimp the Chief, or Captain Keyes Ultimate Puzzle both sound like very promising titles.

Correction: It's not Splinter Cell DA exclusive, it's DA2, or Splinter Cell 5 whatever you want to call it.

Ack - well, nothing I can do about it now unfortunately... the poll options can't be edited once written. (people'll know what it means :) )

Correction: It's not Splinter Cell DA exclusive, it's DA2, or Splinter Cell 5 whatever you want to call it.

is that certain? I have seen both versions of the story on the net...

That would certainly hold more sway because as nice as DA is, I'm sure that whatever montreal whip up for the next one will be something truly special!

I have to admit, there were more significant announcements than I was expecting.

is that certain? I have seen both versions of the story on the net...

That would certainly hold more sway because as nice as DA is, I'm sure that whatever montreal whip up for the next one will be something truly special!

I have to admit, there were more significant announcements than I was expecting.

He said the next one by ubisoft MTL, so that confirms it.

Alright, so 'Halo Wars'... 360 or Vista or both? I have a hard time envisioning a modern RTS on a console sans keyboard and mouse, so would we agree that the PC is the likely target platform with that one?

Seems like 360 only. Bungie's latest website update indicates they've already played it, too.

Alright, so 'Halo Wars'... 360 or Vista or both? I have a hard time envisioning a modern RTS on a console sans keyboard and mouse, so would we agree that the PC is the likely target platform with that one?

360, and you should try the LOTR RTS's for consoles. They aren't half bad. A bit of improvement and I can see the genre working really well on a console.

360, and you should try the LOTR RTS's for consoles. They aren't half bad. A bit of improvement and I can see the genre working really well on a console.

Well, I have the LOTR RTS', so yeah. :cool:

I'm a big RTS fan in general (and I recommend Dawn of War to you all!)

I just have a hard time picturing them without keyboard and mouse; but if 360's the target platform, 360's the target platform.

The HD DVD for $199 + remote + King Kong is a great deal and much better than I expected. I'm impressed. For those who have seen HD DVD's in action, you'll know it's good stuff.

Back