Console perspectives from regions besides US/Europe/Japan

Hekmat

Newcomer
I was wondering about the console war perspectives of regions that we normally don't talk about. Places like China, India and the Middle East. India and China both have huge populations with less capital per person when compared to the Big 3. The Middle East is on the opposite end of the spectrum with countries like the United Arab Emirates (Where I currently reside) and Saudi Arabia having a relatively small population with large amounts of disposable income.

Some people may find it interesting to read what things are like over here, so I'll go into a little detail.

Console Prices at launch
Europeans, you guys think you have it bad :p ? Well maybe you do, but heres what some consoles cost in the U.A.E at launch.

PS2: 3,500 Dirhams(AED) which equates to around $850 US
XBOX360: 5,500 AED which equates to around $1350 US
Expected PS3 retail price: 6,500 AED which equates to around $1650 US

$1 = 3.77 AED (I just divided by 4 in my head, so the conversions aren't exact, but close)

Ouch, eh? It should be mentioned that these aren't official releases by Sony. The retailers here (all small stores without much capital) import them and sell them at a premium. They can afford to do this as many of the people here have plenty of cash and, for some reason I don't understand, ever import consoles themselves.

I'm actually trying to get my grubby little hands on as many PS3s as I can to sell them myself over here (don't hate me ;) )

Games

In one word? Piracy. I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that it is next to impossible to find ANY non-pirated game.

If you were to walk into a game store to buy a PS2 today, you would walk out with the console and 15 (no that '1' in the front isn't a mistake) free games with it for 400 AED (Just over $100).

Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft?

No doubt about it. Sony rules here (not that it really matters seeing as software sales are non-existant). I honestly only know two people with an Gamecube, and 1 with an Xbox. Whereas I can't even begin to count the number of people I know with a PS2.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there, hopefully some people will find it interesting. I'm very curious about China and India, as I would expect that they could very well be huge markets in the future.

Reactions: one
I'm very curious about China and India, as I would expect that they could very well be huge markets in the future.

China probably sooner than in India, although disposable income in both countries is rising. In my view both countries can influence console sale in short run but game sale only in much longer run. Just trying to say that attach rate will be very low initially. As said in another thread even 5% each from these countries could account for about 100 million consoles ;) but that may not translate in to game sales well.

I think one of the reasons Sony pushed Bluray games is because it will be quite hard especially in the beginning and probably throughtout PS3's life, to pirate them.

Not only Bluray-burning/mastering is expensive, but the protection is much tougher.

Having said that, it's only a matter of time in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there, hopefully some people will find it interesting. I'm very curious about China and India, as I would expect that they could very well be huge markets in the future.
If they can't stem piracy, they won't release there. Look at your UAE. The companies could sell to the UAE, but don't. A good part of the reason for that is that they'll get no custom. Why start selling your expensive consoles in China if no-one's going to buy any games?

AFAIK to date China has been given it's own consoles, which haven't contributed much to bottom-dollar earnings of the console companies. If Sony are sufficiently confident about BRD's security (or any company confident about their anti-piracy measures), perhaps they'll launch there. However, chances are these markets will remain unconsidered because there's no money to be made from them, despite their oversized populations and rapid economic growth.

That's probably why we only hear about NA, EU (including the Antipodes) and Japan (including Korea) - they're the only 'safe' markets where companies can make money. And because of that, they're trying to make soooo much money from them, with this DRMing nonsense and selling cars and packets of bullets and whatever other crazy schemes for real money :devilish:

Video Game playing culture is just gathering momentum in both these countries, where playing video games is seen as waste of time by most parents.

Video Game playing culture is just gathering momentum in both these countries, where playing video games is seen as waste of time by most parents.

Don't parents all over the world think that? :LOL: The only difference is that generally speaking, the western world seems to have more time and resources to buy and play video games than the average Chinese or Indian guy/girl.
And also, in the western world it's very common to find parents who work long hours and therefore leave the kids at home to play videogames - if they don't go out rampaging around the city...
Videogames are the new babysitters. ;)

DISCLAIMER: All of the above is full of gross generalizations and not to be taken too seriously.

Well BAFTA now recognizes Video Games as art form and I can only imagine how this changes perception. New economic opportunities will change perspective in emerging markets. Also consider that many adults play video games too which is not currently a case in Chinese & Indian region, though its changing fast.

50 years later China-India will probably be the biggest gaming market overtaking NA, I wonder how would that change the types of games being made. I guess biggest changes will happen in RPG genre with Martial Art elements alongwith Song n Dances. Maybe many new Chinese/Indian devs will enter into the arena.

about China, I think they're pushing for more respect to copyrights using Beijing Olympic Games coming up as a lever.
dont know how much they can achieve though..

I think one of the reasons Sony pushed Bluray games is because it will be quite hard especially in the beginning and probably throughtout PS3's life, to pirate them.

Not only Bluray-burning/mastering is expensive, but the protection is much tougher.

Having said that, it's only a matter of time in my opinion.

with user-replacable hdd on ps3, I dont think that bluray media will be a problem..
just get the console hacked and you are set for piracy.

with user-replacable hdd on ps3, I dont think that bluray media will be a problem..just get the console hacked and you are set for piracy.
Depends what hacks come out to enable bypassing of a need for the BRD disc. At the moment there are none available ;)

I haven't looked recently, but generally the console prices in China are pretty similar to what you find in the U.S., maybe a bit more expensive. High end electronics in general, are pegged at about 10 yuan/ U.S. dollar, so generally about 20% more expensive. The biggest sellers right now seem to be PS2, PSP, DS, and GBA, although you can find Xbox and I think GC if you look for them, (I don't think I've ever seen GC games, though, so it might just be the boxes). I was walking by a few games stores the other day and noticed that places are starting to get Xbox 360's as well. Everything is pirated, and as mentioned before, you couldn't find legit games if you tried.

As to India/China being the biggest console markets in 50 years? Well, assuming that they even have console gaming 50 years from now, I still wouldn't be too sure. Chinese are pretty firmly in the PC gaming crowd, and consoles are just a niche, although a decent sized one by now.

Depends what hacks come out to enable bypassing of a need for the BRD disc. At the moment there are none available ;)
I recall reading an old article at arstechnica describing ps3 security as "a sitting duck" .
I guess I should try retrieving it..
a-ha. here it is
The PS3's security architecture is a fixed quantity (= sitting duck), from the general layout and functioning of its various components all the way down to the hardware-stored root key. That single master root key, and the fixed, non-patchable nature of a hardware-based security scheme, means that thousands of very smart, warranty-voiding attackers will have all the time in the world to divine the PS3's innermost secrets. And when just one of those folks has an "aha!" moment and hits on the perfect attack, a forum post somewhere will clue in the rest of the planet. That attack will then work every time, on every PS3, and no OS upgrade or patch will solve the problem.
I guess when that moment that fixed security is breached comes, only microtransactions can save it from piracy.
but overdo microtransactions, and it wont save it from angry customers.

II guess when that moment that fixed security is breached comes, only microtransactions can save it from piracy.
but overdo microtransactions, and it wont save it from angry customers.
That article (like all console articles!) was discussed here. I don't think the consensus was an agreement to Ars's take on PS3's vulnerability.

A hack is almost bound to happen, but it might not be a cheap nor easy thing to do.

given the popularity of playstation brand, I'm betting that it will take less time to fully crack ps3, than it has taken for that dvd hack on 360.

p.s. do you have a link for this discussion here at b3d? I seem to have missed it :oops:

Back