Sony pulls the plug on Team Bondi

I wouldn't assume anything about how much Sony had invested in the project up until they had that review and decided not to go further. The budget may have been projected to be 30m or 40m, but I very much doubt that's how much the prototype Sony initially commissioned cost.

Makes me wonder about the quality of the prototype of SONY decided to drop the project, SCEA Santa Monica's God of War was looking SAD when it was in prototype stage and even that got approved and they basically muscled it through. SCE stuck with a lot of really bad games over the years, one notable example being Rise to Honor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me wonder about the quality of the prototype of SONY decided to drop the project, SCEA Santa Monica's God of War was looking SAD when it was in prototype stage and even that got approved and they basically muscled it through. SCE stuck with a lot of really bad games over the years, one notable example being Rise to Honor.

Maybe because it was bad and awfully expensive!

It's quite possible that the game was good, but Sony felt that it was too expensive to put money into it (for what, even with good marketing, might not end up selling all that well -- McNamara doesn't exactly have a great history and team bondi has none... there is no real previous development hype)... Rockstar/TT might have been more open to it since they know they can likely port it to, at least, the 360 to recoup some of the supposed crazy costs. Sony dropping it doesn't necessarily imply it was turning out to be a poor game... it could just as easily imply that Sony felt it was too much for them and maybe they are wanting to fund a lot more inhouse projects instead (the 100 PS3 games that are in some stage of development at Sony's internal studios is kind of a large amount to be dealing with).

I am curious if it was quality related or just Sony hedging their bets on costs/performance and thinking funds were better distributed elsewhere.

Still curious about it -- I guess we'll see more on October 5th.

Wasn't it a part of the E3 demo reel? Maybe I'm thinking of a different game...

You guys really need to stop with teh damage control. It's pretty pathetic. Sony loses an exclusive developer and suddenly they can only produce vaporware, and do not provide any returns etc etc. Come on...

I think the game your thinking of is Eight Days....

You guys really need to stop with teh damage control. It's pretty pathetic. Sony loses an exclusive developer and suddenly they can only produce vaporware, and do not provide any returns etc etc. Come on...
Easy buddy! I can't see anyone doing damage control...heck, I think everyone's more confused than anything else!

Also, I thought SONY let them go, not lose them! :rolleyes: I'm still waiting on the official word from either party to shed more light on the situation. In the mean time, how about you ease up on the 'doom & gloom' spin!

Wasn't it a part of the E3 demo reel? Maybe I'm thinking of a different game...

Was that really needed ?

scooby can get a little excitable in his interpretations some times. He forgets that perhaps someone MIGHT be making certain comments (be they "casting aspersions" or not) at a developer BECAUSE they were dropped. :p It's not like publishers are in the habit of dropping major investments if things are going along swimmingly, after all.

Right off hand, I don't see why Sony dropping the title is more attention grabbing than Rockstar picking it up. Sure, if Sony dropped the title and then the developer tried to make a go of it alone, I'd say there's good reason to suspect the game is not that good. But if another publisher picks it up, then it must have some redeeming value.

Was that really needed ?

evidently

the subtle trolling and system war stuff (not this thread) is getting a little out of hand lately IMO.

Just look at all the new junior members popping up all of a sudden as the launch draws near.

Right off hand, I don't see why Sony dropping the title is more attention grabbing than Rockstar picking it up. Sure, if Sony dropped the title and then the developer tried to make a go of it alone, I'd say there's good reason to suspect the game is not that good. But if another publisher picks it up, then it must have some redeeming value.

Well, it's down to costs and sales estimations. If Sony decided footing the entire bill wasn't worth the return value in sales, they'd ve cut their losses. Rockstar on the other hand can offer the game for multiple consoles, thus increasing the potential sales numbers. Moreover, when the project got switched over to RS, the contract surely changed, maybe shifting more costs / risk to Team Bondi.

Its interesting to see this printed in the media after the initial assumption was that sony dropped them.

It's kinda like the Tom Cruise vs Universal scandal isn't it. He was saying he wasn't happy with the studio and the studio saying they weren't happy with the guy...

I don't think we'll ever know the truth as both sides will always hold on to their story.

It's kinda like the Tom Cruise vs Universal scandal isn't it. He was saying he wasn't happy with the studio and the studio saying they weren't happy with the guy...

I don't think we'll ever know the truth as both sides will always hold on to their story.

It's a different case because sony hasn't said a thing. There's only two sides in this currently. Team Bondi and the sony fan community. It's the sony fan community, not Sony themselves that is saying team bondi was dropped by Sony. Don't confuse the two...

Back