F.E.A.R. Demo up on XBL Maredplace

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
4x AA, some framerate problems, looks pretty much as the PC version.

Trigger sensitivity is just extreme in this game, which is kind of annoying..

Could somebody tell me why Condemned could run this at 4x AA aswell and close to 60fps and this game struggle to keep it at 30? Its the same engine after all, and graphically it looks about the same.

Could somebody tell me why Condemned could run this at 4x AA aswell and close to 60fps and this game struggle to keep it at 30? Its the same engine after all, and graphically it looks about the same.

Condemned 60fps? Never looked like that, but well... :smile:

Condemned was NOT 60fps. this just proves (again) most people can't tell what frame rate a game is running at, lol.

However having just played Condemned, I think it looks way better then FEAR.

I dont know about that.
I played this a few weeks ago since it came on the issue of OXM, I think it looks great, and I had no problems with trigger sensitivity or appreciated many framerate issues really

I dont know about that.
I played this a few weeks ago since it came on the issue of OXM, I think it looks great, and I had no problems with trigger sensitivity or appreciated many framerate issues really

I neither experienced any framerate issues, the demo was nice and fluid for me. I think it looks just like the PC version and was just hoping for some additional bells and whistles. I just think that Condemned looks quite a bit better, though both were developed by Monolith in parallel on the same engine with FEAR definitly being the showcase title. Don't want to derail the thread, though.

can someone post some screens please :smile:

thank you

Found a "shot", but honestly, i cannot see 4xAA at all on this one, looks like no AA to me:

5FBMV.jpg

more here

according to the associate producer for Day1 Studios that posted in the xbox.com forums. the demo is pre-E3.

The demo that was released was a pre-E3 build. Most of the textures have been replaced with the higher resolution textures that would be available to people with a high-end PC. Anything outstanding is being evaluated and will be included at the highest resolution we can get them in at without sacrificing performance.

As for framerate issues (which I have noticed a few comments) in the E3 demo during heavy firefights and with lots of grenades going off you could experience some issues. But, this happened on the PC also (unless you had an ultra-fast rig). These issues have been cleared up and its pretty solid - no matter how much stuff is thrown at the screen the framerate is maintained.

I'm glad to hear you are purchasing this for the 360, after seeing games like Prey lag after they promised stellar multiplayer I'm really eager for this to hit the market. It brings the fast paced frenzy that is missing that COD2, PDZ or Prey seem to lack - with no lag or connection issues (Why can't I find people to play MP on Saints Row? This game just came out!). So, I think 360 owners will make this a cornerstone of their MP library.

http://forums.xbox.com/6544699/ShowPost.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
well I played it. twice.
those pictures above are taken with a camera off a tv screen.
game looks much smoother and definately has antialiazing plus good enough textures.
pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5
personally though, I think this game -exactly like pc version- someplaces shines while some other places is lacking.
at some points the graphics are great, at other points they are sparse and meh. I think the multiplayer part may make it or break it.
but it sure shows its age.
overall I agree with those people saying that condemned is much more polished as a game, and not only graphically.
single gameplay on condemned is more interesting and probably more intense

edit:
alstrong the demo was used for other purposes and given on a monthly magazine before it reached the marketplace.
I guess :D you can say that marketplace has not reached supersonic speeds yet. it will happen, but even now its still a GREAT service. probably the greatest.
these days with TGS and X06 it sure is great, as it was back at E3.
most xbox users describe these periods as small holydays :D :D :D

now, I want lumines during X06! hear me mr. microsoft man? NO FURTHER THAN THAT!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly engoyed the demo like i did when it was released on PC. I'm surprised how i've gotten so used to using a gamepad for FPS.

Thanks for the photos. :)
alstrong the demo was used for other purposes and given on a monthly magazine before it reached the marketplace.
I guess :D you can say that marketplace has not reached supersonic speeds yet. it will happen, but even now its still a GREAT service. probably the greatest.
these days with TGS and X06 it sure is great, as it was back at E3.
most xbox users describe these periods as small holydays :D :D :D

Ah I see. I didn't know about the earlier release of the demo. Thanks for the reminder.

thanx for pics p3tran :D those looks good indeed.

I'm wondering about one thing what is the puropse of realasing the demos from old builds?? then later devs must explains themselves about: bad textures, framerate issues yada yada.

I'm wondering about one thing what is the puropse of realasing the demos from old builds?? then later devs must explains themselves about: bad textures, framerate issues yada yada.

There's probably not enough time to update the older demo while making it stable/bug-free; it takes a fair bit of development focus in doing a demo.

Back