Need some assistance please

linthat22

Regular
Feeling like a complete dumbass, I'm resorted to asking for help.

Here's the dilemma: 2 computers going through a router to get on the net, not a problem. The problem is getting both computers to recognize each other for file and printer sharing.

I've went through WinXP (pro's) network set up wizard and all that jazz and still no luck.

I feel like such a daggum novice cause I can't figure this out!!!

Thanks folks!!

I hate to say something this stupid, but. . . .they're both members of the same workgroup?

Another "stupid but gotta ask question", did you enable file sharing on the individual machines involved hard drives? Even if you get everything else set up, it won't let you share your drives on the network unless you specifically set 'em up to be shared.

Just open up file manager, right click on one of your hard drives, click on "Sharing and Security" and find the box that says "Share this drive on the network" and check it.

First time I ever hooked up a network it drove me NUTS until I figured that out. (I SUCK with network, I was self-taught by a crappy teacher.)

best way is when your in explorer, go to tools then folder options, then onto the view tab and go to the bottom and deselect where it says "use simple file sharing", once this is done on both computers and both have a user account with a username and password you should be able to access the other computer by going into start menu then run and typing the other computers ip address followed by the drive you want to access, type it in like " \\172.16.1.1\D$ " , (D the drive your accessing) it should then pop up asking you for username and password, just type in the admin one for the computer ur trying to get access to.

I like doing it this way anyway, because then you can map the network drive, just makes things much easier that way.

And make sure you have a password. By default Windows does not allow network connections to accounts that don't have passwords. You can turn off that feature, but it's best if it's left on.

And make sure you have a password. By default Windows does not allow network connections to accounts that don't have passwords. You can turn off that feature, but it's best if it's left on.
Huh? Really? I never have a password for any of our systems primary logins, just for the admin accounts.

...and make sure that router has a good firewall...? You guys turning on all this file sharing and crap and with some possibly $80 router with WEP-only WiFi and a cheap-assed NAT firewall - sheesh!! ;)

Do you have a software firewall running on either machine?

My wife just has the XP firewall running, and I got Zone Alarm. Weird thing is that she can see my computer, but I can't see her's. She can't access mine, but she can see it.....so (scratches head).

Another "stupid but gotta ask question", did you enable file sharing on the individual machines involved hard drives? Even if you get everything else set up, it won't let you share your drives on the network unless you specifically set 'em up to be shared.

Just open up file manager, right click on one of your hard drives, click on "Sharing and Security" and find the box that says "Share this drive on the network" and check it.

First time I ever hooked up a network it drove me NUTS until I figured that out. (I SUCK with network, I was self-taught by a crappy teacher.)

Yes sir, I enabled file sharing on the individual drives.

best way is when your in explorer, go to tools then folder options, then onto the view tab and go to the bottom and deselect where it says "use simple file sharing", once this is done on both computers and both have a user account with a username and password you should be able to access the other computer by going into start menu then run and typing the other computers ip address followed by the drive you want to access, type it in like " \\172.16.1.1\D$ " , (D the drive your accessing) it should then pop up asking you for username and password, just type in the admin one for the computer ur trying to get access to.

I like doing it this way anyway, because then you can map the network drive, just makes things much
easier that way.

That sounds good, but I want an easy point and click without having to do all that.

My wife just has the XP firewall running, and I got Zone Alarm. Weird thing is that she can see my computer, but I can't see her's. She can't access mine, but she can see it.....so (scratches head).

Does the router have a FW? Most have at least a NAT firewall with all incoming ports closed by default. You have to spend some bucks to get stateful packet inspection and gateway AV.

The XP firewall is terrible. I'd put ZA on both and run internet zone at maximum.

Yes sir, I enabled file sharing on the individual drives.

Did you open the appropriate ports in the XP firewall and ZoneAlarm? In ZA putting her machine in the "trusted zone" helps, but you might have to use advanced to open ports to her ip.

Did you open the appropriate ports in the XP firewall and ZoneAlarm? In ZA putting her machine in the "trusted zone" helps, but you might have to use advanced to open ports to her ip.

I've actually turned off all firewalls on both machines and didn't have any luck. I never thought it'd be this difficult for such an easy task.

I appreciate everyone's input and help.

FWIW: You could try using another Firewall, for example, the trial version of AVG's fw/anti-virus combo. Install that on both machines (and uninstall/disable existing firewalls), upon installation it should automatically open all nesessary ports for file sharing... worked fine for me anyway.

So, did you manage to get it working?

You can try pinging the other computer to see if a firewall is blocking it, just type "ping (the computers ip address)"into run on the start menu and it should come up with a little list saying reply """ or connection timed out if its getting blocked.

the thing you type in should look like "ping 172.16.1.1"

Back