any news about RSX?

Right.

That must be why all those 1080p titles keep appearing.
The PS2 could do 1080p. But the graphics would be below PS1 quality. 1080p is nothing but a useless bulletpoint.

The 1080p PS3 games I've seen are nothing to write home about. The most impressive-looking titles are 720p, IMHO.

Ridge Racer 7 and Lair are both 1080P and both look fabulous in my opinion! Additionally, Lair looks great and it's only 35% of the way done!

Basically, from these two games (and a few others) we can tell that the RSX can pull off a high quality game at 1080P. That is very significant in my opinion.

Lets not accuse other people about being trolls. The purpose of this thread is to dig up news about the RSX. Can anyone here find anything SOLID about the RSX? If you go to the KRONOS website you can view a few of their presentations that list a few PSGL extensions. However, they have been posted for quite a while now and I doubt contain anything significant.

This just in:

this > this
Read my post again. You missed the entire point. 1080p is a useless bullet point. Any console including the PS2, Xbox and GameCube could theoretically output games in 1080p but the graphics would suffer to the point where the resolution becomes prohibitive.

I used PS2 as an example. It could run games at 1080p, but they'd probably look like PSX games. How silly would it be to brag about 1080p when the games look worse than SD? So what if the PS3 can run Naomi 2 games at 1080p. It's just silly playground oneupsmanship where the graphical fidelity of the games are at stake. I'd rather see Killzone render graphics at 720p than MGS4's crappy textures at 1080p.

I know that differs philosophically from what the rest of you believe, but please leave that "OMG, you just disagreed with the status quo, ban him!!!" crap for GAF. Seriously.

Lets not accuse other people about being trolls. The purpose of this thread is to dig up news about the RSX. Can anyone here find anything SOLID about the RSX? If you go to the KRONOS website you can view a few of their presentations that list a few PSGL extensions. However, they have been posted for quite a while now and I doubt contain anything significant.

what exactly is a mystery is what i'm wondering. Not to be rude but did any of you who registered in the last month or less think of using the search?

I have searched through these forums and others. The truth is that the RSX is indeed a pretty big mystery. Now, we know it's based on the N47 technology, according to xboxdestroya's sources it has been downclocked to 500MHz, and also according to his sources it has various larger caches than the PC part. Other than that we really don't know anything for certain. The last information we were given was in 2005 when the RSX was not even completed by NVIDIA. Since that time Sony has deleted almost all information about the RSX from their websites.

Basically, I think by going back to 2005 we know a good bit about the RSX but there is also a good bit we probably do not know. Most of that is probably how the RSX has been optimized to work in the PS3.

Babcat (obviously MILR) you don't have to attribute larger caches to any 'sources' - and especially not me - that's just frankly widely known at this point is all. I did confirm their existence for some that doubted any architectural tweaks whatsoever, but I wasn't providing anything new (as this was already 'at large' knowledge AFAIWC); rather just trying to address a particular topic at the time on PSINext. The cache thing has been quasi-public for some time, and had been a for some time before it was discussed in that thread as well.

In fact there are several old threads on that very thing scattered around this forum, which would probably serve as a more direct source of information in that regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read my post again. You missed the entire point. 1080p is a useless bullet point. Any console including the PS2, Xbox and GameCube could theoretically output games in 1080p but the graphics would suffer to the point where the resolution becomes prohibitive.

I used PS2 as an example. It could run games at 1080p, but they'd probably look like PSX games. How silly would it be to brag about 1080p when the games look worse than SD? So what if the PS3 can run Naomi 2 games at 1080p. It's just silly playground oneupsmanship where the graphical fidelity of the games are at stake. I'd rather see Killzone render graphics at 720p than MGS4's crappy textures at 1080p.

I know that differs philosophically from what the rest of you believe, but please leave that "OMG, you just disagreed with the status quo, ban him!!!" crap for GAF. Seriously.
So?
PSX1 could do 640x480 theoritically but almost all games were displayied from 320×240 to something below 512×384 without a problem.
PS2 theoritically could do 1080 theoritically according to you but almost all games were displayied at 640x480 and a bit above without a problem.
I dont see any reason why a PS3 game shouldnt follow a similar trend. A 1080p doesnt necessarilly imply PS2 graphics in high resolutions

I have searched through these forums and others. The truth is that the RSX is indeed a pretty big mystery. Now, we know it's based on the N47 technology, according to xboxdestroya's sources it has been downclocked to 500MHz, and also according to his sources it has various larger caches than the PC part. Other than that we really don't know anything for certain. The last information we were given was in 2005 when the RSX was not even completed by NVIDIA. Since that time Sony has deleted almost all information about the RSX from their websites.

Basically, I think by going back to 2005 we know a good bit about the RSX but there is also a good bit we probably do not know. Most of that is probably how the RSX has been optimized to work in the PS3.

I guess my point is i dont see what the big mystery is. Its a little brother to a PC part that is dissected and very well known. Are you trying to insinuate that its going to be linked to nextgen parts now? Cause people have been doing that for a long time and every time someone has to come in with a big stamping unit and say "IT ISNT, GET OFF IT".

Read the 7800GTX architecture review here if you want a good understanding of what the "RSX" is, it really is that simple. The chips have been taped out and in production for quite awhile. Devs have even been designing games on boxes containing G70 cores. There is no mystery to the RSX. At least not anything that i would personally find interesting or worthy of discussion let alone multiple new threads.

I don't think it's a little brother part to the PC part and believe it could have some expects of nextgen GPU technology. For example, the cache in GPUs is growing all the time. Perhaps the RSX will have larger cache sizes than current generation GPUs. Also, there could be other features in the RSX that are different from current gen. I'm not expecting it to be some kind of G80 but at the same time think it's likely it has *some* features beyond that of the G70.

Generically true. Not all that helpful, but true. I find it very difficult to believe that any game publisher would go for 1080p on those terms, however. The day will finally come when it will be reviewed by the press, and the gaming community. Bullet points may help hardware devs sell hardware to some portion of the gullible or poorly informed, but they don't help software devs sell software. Quality does. If Sony was pushing 1080p and the software support was remarkably similar to crickets in the night (as it would have been had they been so silly as to put it on the box for PS2), your point would carry more weight.

I don't think it's a little brother part to the PC part and believe it could have some expects of nextgen GPU technology. For example, the cache in GPUs is growing all the time. Perhaps the RSX will have larger cache sizes than current generation GPUs. Also, there could be other features in the RSX that are different from current gen. I'm not expecting it to be some kind of G80 but at the same time think it's likely it has *some* features beyond that of the G70.

Not so much beyond the G70 but unique due to its placement much like the Xenos. Architecturally there just isnt much left to discuss.

Sugarcoat,

I think there is a lot to talk about because the RSX probably has many internal tweaks that could enhance it's performance and of course help it perform optimally in the closed box of the PS3. Of course these features are probably doing anything super extraordinary but combined they might help increase the RSX's performance enough to be interesting.

The problem is that we don't really know many of these tweaks, we don't know much about the couple modifications that have leaked out, and with the NDAs so tight it's hard to find new information.

Personally, I think there is probably a lot of interesting things we could be talking about, but we just don't have the topics yet.

I think there is a lot to talk about because the RSX probably has many internal tweaks that could enhance it's performance and of course help it perform optimally in the closed box of the PS3. Of course these features are probably doing anything super extraordinary but combined they might help increase the RSX's performance enough to be interesting.
Exactly what kind of tweaks are you thinking of?

I fully expect more tweaks/features in the same vein as FlexIO, bigger caches, and so on; however, only so to the point that it works reasonably well in the system, and serves the needs of Sony. I don't expect to see the number of input registers increase over 4 fp32s, fp16 blending + MSAA, or any additional instruction combinations to be introduced to the dual ALU pipe, for example.

I think that the best enhancements the rsx has recieved (or will) is the fact that some of the best devs of this earth (I don't take in account klingon person...lol) can code it straight to the metal.

And trust me from the very few I know it's probably the best possible enhancement ;)

All I can say is I firmly believe that if Sony paid NVIDIA a bunch of money, worked for a long time with them, and jointly worked together on this GPU we will see more than just a few tweaks and modifications.

I'm not an expert about these matters, but I have read many rumors on various forums. Some of them come from people who seem credible and then there are those from individuals I know absolutely nothing about. However, the tweaks could be anything from general tweaks in the shader paths, extra mini-ALUs, texture cache, post_transform cache, very small units of tile cache that would allow for some of the benefits of a larger chunk of EDRAM with a VASTLY smaller cost in transistors, and other changes that could have been made that have never been mentioned on open bulletin boards.

I'm not saying these are all going to be implemented or not. I'm just saying that I figure that Sony would have wanted more optimized GPU than a PC part clone. Also, if NVIDIA could use any G80ish tech in it here and there I don't think Sony would have minded.

We really don't know. All I know is that the games being demoed for the PS3 look amazing. I can't help but wonder what is inside the RSX!

Badcat I really think that if Sony have some kind of news to annouce they would.
Ps3 launch in 2 month, there is very few unit for japan launch, few in fact for us to.
The whole european market is let down in dust.

Sony has to face strong competitors this chrismass, if they had something to tell to help people to wait or setting in mind the fact that ps3 is way more powerfull ( not that it's needed almost done a this time), I guess they would.

All I can say is I firmly believe that if Sony paid NVIDIA a bunch of money, worked for a long time with them, and jointly worked together on this GPU we will see more than just a few tweaks and modifications.

Yea but you see this is where you're going off base. Nvidia wasnt given a bunch of time, infact someone could easily say a deal was rushed, and they didnt work jointly on anything. Sony gave a list of specs the core had to meet and Nvidia took an existing model of a tech they knew they could count on to perform and in good yeilds and made it to specification. Sony took the core and slapped a fancy futuristic sounding name on it. This is the story of the RSX. It doesnt make it a peice of junk, it really just amazes me what people think they're going to get out of a closed box system that needs to meet massive manufacturing needs. All consoles are already exotic to an extent, but theres always that little need or hope for there to be this ass kicker of a capability hidden so their hopes keep building as time keeps rolling. Maybe its just human nature for some people to be that way.

That said games on consoles always look amazing. If i told you Resident Evil 4 for the gamecube was operating off a core designed in 1999-2000, back when it was 2001-02, you'd problably tell me i'm nuts. This is the bonus consoles can enjoy because devs dont have to design to the specification of thousands of hardware variations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back