Afrika new trailer @ TGS

Interactive Discovery Channel. I can picture it now how it will be 20 years later :p

In all honesty, wouldnt it be beautiful for documentary lovers to someday be able to virtually interact with it and not just watch? :D

In all honesty, wouldnt it be beautiful for documentary lovers to someday be able to virtually interact with it and not just watch? :D
you are a visionary, nesh. interactive entertainment is the next-gen to "old-fashioned" movies etc.
its just that the money game must shift to this direction, before anything else.

This trailer is fascinating. If Sony were as smart as Nintendo they'd be able to create a monster hit by turning it into a fun game.

Only only obvious flaw I can see is that the animals look like they have been overlayed into the background, not sure whats causing this but it might be a lighting missmatch. All thats missing is the flies and the smell of dung, its not hard to imagine being right there in Africa.

That was quite something. I wonder what tech they're using for the animation and behaviour? It looked really natural. I've no interest in the title. I watched 15 years of nature programmes before getting fed up of the same thing over and over, and other than technical interest I see no point in spending time watching the same 'cheetah chases down baby gazelle' footage only this time being virtual. But in terms of technology, you can see potentially where this could be taken in the direction of something like a Pokemon or Dinosaur hunter title, creating really realistic living environments. Pokemon like this would be so awesome - Nintendo need to become a cross-platform developer :p

I'd been overlooking this, but someone told me I had to see the new trailer..and it is very impressive. I don't know, it's hard to explain the appeal, but it's reaching out and grabbing the discovery-channel-watcher in me :) If the animal behaviour is natural and realistic (and they seem to getting that right), it could be a very relaxing experience. I think 'experience' will probably be the best way to sum up this, rather than 'game'.

You're the head of Sony's worldwide development studios. What the hell is up with that Africa game?

Video games have a function in life, and that is: wish fulfillment. You can become a mercenary, a fighter pilot. On PS3, we can expand the realm of that experience. Africa allows you to experience a very interesting part of the world, a safari in the plains of Africa. The gameplay is entirely non-violent. You don't kill the animals. It emphasizes the positives rather than the negatives.

It's about collecting experiences and keeping them for posterity.

What's up with the guy riding in the Jeep, shown at the end of the trailer?

That's you. Or rather, that's one of the people you'll control. (He stops himself from saying anything else.)

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1561160

Dammit Sony i want to hunt for them not film or take pictures of them
I want to give that giraf a headshot with my sniper rifle.

0911_tv0911_afrika_02.jpg

Just taking pictures of the animals would be a waste.

I don't want to hunt them. I just want to be able to ram some of them with my jeep is all. PEACE.

and then use their heads as hood ornaments , brilliant.

No, but seriously this game could be a damn awesome franchise if it allows you not being just a wildlife observer but also a hunter or one of the animals themselfs or a Veterinarian/ranger.

Make it happen Sony

I'm curious why do some of you feel that violence is necessary in this game?

Not trying to elitist or snobby, or anything like that, just genuinely curious why some of you guys seem to want to kill stuff.

I'm curious why do some of you feel that violence is necessary in this game?
It's not necessary, I just want games to be exciting, competitive and purpose giving. Violence is a simple but effective way to achieve that. Taking pictures seems boring because there's not much of a challenge.

It's not necessary, I just want games to be exciting, competitive and purpose giving. Violence is a simple but effective way to achieve that. Taking pictures seems boring because there's not much of a challenge.
Don't worry, that option will be added as a downloadable MOD for $20! j/k

This game, or an edutainment application, may be nice for education purpose much more than Nintendo DS Brain Training.

Personally I'd like to see a version with dinosaurs or deep-sea fishes.

As a pinko leftie commie environmentalist, I'd like to play as a ranger and hunt down poachers ;)

Anyway, if they really want to make a game from this and not just a - great looking - non-game then they have to make the gameplay more goal oriented. Perhaps different missions for photos you have to take with reward money which you can invest in better lenses (zoom!), or night filming equipment, or a better jeep etc... I wouldn't bet on any of that actually being in the "game" though, I believe it is intended mostly as a graphical showcase - and it certainly does well at that!

Anyway, if they really want to make a game from this and not just a - great looking - non-game then they have to make the gameplay more goal oriented. Perhaps different missions for photos you have to take with reward money which you can invest in better lenses (zoom!), or night filming equipment, or a better jeep etc... I wouldn't bet on any of that actually being in the "game" though, I believe it is intended mostly as a graphical showcase - and it certainly does well at that!

Sneak up on a rhino. Catch some gnus fucking. Steal a lion's baby. The mission possibilities are endless. :LOL: They should rename it though: Animal Voyeur is far better title :devilish:

Back