20GB version PS3 pricecut: 59800 yen -> 49980 yen and HDMI added!

That they added hdmi is all about the movies nothing else.

Not really.

As has been pointed out with respect to the X360 and 1080p over component outputs, there are few TVs which will take 1080p over component, regardless of the content, whether movies or games.

The 1080p displays released, at least in the US, use HDMI.

And there are PS3 games, including those to be released in the first year, which will support 1080p. So to get those to display 1080p, you would most likely need HDMI.

As a matter of fact, there is not one HDTV sold in Europe which doesn't have HDMI. It's actually part of the standard here. No HDMI and you can't be called HD-Ready (our HDTV badge). Same for component, ability to display at least 720p and a couple other things. It's the law and you are protected against sales men trying to sell you "HD-Ready TVs" which don't actually fullfill the regulations. Take that as you wish ;)

As a matter of fact, there is not one HDTV sold in Europe which doesn't have HDMI. It's actually part of the standard here. No HDMI and you can't be called HD-Ready (our HDTV badge). Same for component, ability to display at least 720p and a couple other things. It's the law and you are protected against sales men trying to sell you "HD-Ready TVs" which don't actually fullfill the regulations. Take that as you wish ;)

DVI with HDCP will get you HD ready badge... I have one. Offcourse all the other reguirement have to be fulfilled also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad the price drop doesn't affect the US... but with the addition of the hdmi in the lower model, it just rendered the premium pack useless for me. 20GB for me :D

Back