MS steps up...Launch X360's warranty to one year

Wow, I can't believe somebody actually thinks this way.
Because i didn't pay $60 two year warranty for my X360 when arguably that warranty(well, i would've been content with just one year warranty) should've been included in the first place?

Because i didn't pay $60 two year warranty for my X360 when arguably that warranty(well, i would've been content with just one year warranty) should've been included in the first place?

Exactly, Why do consumers get the shaft when consoles break during NORMAL OPERATION? Its not like were throwing them out windows. They are sitting on our tables, running games period.

Here, Microsoft have a 1-year warranty, which not only covers manufacturing faults, but also covers accidents.
Consumer law also states that a product must operate for a 'reasonable period of time' without fault. 'Reasonable period' basically means the first 3 years for consumer electronics.
The odd thing is that it is the retailers responsibility to replace defective units under this law. So if my 360 dies in the next 3 years, I'd simply take it back to where I bought it. If they made a fuss, I'd simply call the commerce commission, they would be forced to replace it, and possibly be fined to attempting to break the law. (My friend's employer recently got done for not replacing a faulty mac laptop that was just over 3 years old).

Here, Microsoft have a 1-year warranty, which not only covers manufacturing faults, but also covers accidents.
Consumer law also states that a product must operate for a 'reasonable period of time' without fault. 'Reasonable period' basically means the first 3 years for consumer electronics.
The odd thing is that it is the retailers responsibility to replace defective units under this law. So if my 360 dies in the next 3 years, I'd simply take it back to where I bought it. If they made a fuss, I'd simply call the commerce commission, they would be forced to replace it, and possibly be fined to attempting to break the law. (My friend's employer recently got done for not replacing a faulty mac laptop that was just over 3 years old).

Damn :oops:

yea I'm all for capitalism but the US protects big business here a bit too much IMO :devilish:

Most retail products like motherboards come with a 1 year warranty in the US, so what's so special about this?

Most retail products like motherboards come with a 1 year warranty in the US, so what's so special about this?

The stuff shouldn't have been breaking in the first place. And perhaps you could say that it should all come with a one year warranty.

But it doesn't change the fact that they could have just swept the problem under the rug. They are handling the issue in a morally correct way. I wouldn't doubt that it does something for setting a standard for product reliability in this industry. And that's a big deal.

no other game consoles or other consumer electronics products come with more than a 90day in the US.

Game consoles I agree, but disagree that no other consumer electronics comes with more then a 90 day warranty. I have never bought a pre-built computer with anything less then a 1 year warranty. Why can't the same apply to call game consoles by default?

Game consoles I agree, but disagree that no other consumer electronics comes with more then a 90 day warranty. I have never bought a pre-built computer with anything less then a 1 year warranty. Why can't the same apply to call game consoles by default?

oh I agree there are some exceptions and I also agree that we get screwed by most companies with this 90 day crap in the states and that it should be at LEAST two years. :D

So I had myself one of the initial 360's. I am trying to remember off the top of my head and I think the manufacturing date was 12/5/05. I am in the United States.

The one thing I noticed from the get go was just how loud the DVD drive was. I do use it to watch DVD's as well. I haven't really had any other issues other then that since I got it.

Well the other day, it stopped reading any games. I could load and watch DVD's with no problems, but all 10 games I had, not a single one loaded. Tried for a few hours. Tried unplugging for awhile, and and trying again same issue. So I figured it was finally time to take advantage of the extended warranty for launch consoles before my time expired.

I called up their support, and I was on the phone no longer then 10 minutes. No hassle. I told them all the troubleshooting I had done, and they were satisfied with that, and sent a box to ship back to them.

I will have to say that it was a pleasent experience, and I am glad they manned up and offered the extended warranty for us hardcore fans that bought lunch consoles. That call alone was better then any of the previous support calls I made for my original xbox (1 died) my 3 PS 2's that died (I DESPISE Sony support) and 1 GCN that died. Although my GCN was outside warranty, they still replaced.

All those system failures seem odd for me. Especially for so many systems. I had a launch original XBOX (that failed 2 years later) and a 360 launch. The rest I purchased at least a year after launch. I a not even counting all the crappy PSones I went through. After having to have them upside down to even play games, to the hardware just sucking.

I for one will not be purchasing a launch PS3, but its complexity has me very concerned of product failure and stability. I am curious to see how it turns out.

But moral of the story, I was very pleased with my 360 return experience, and would reccomend for those that havnen't taken advantage of it yet, to do so ASAP! (So you can play GOW! :))

I'm waiting for my 4th Xbox 360...so my experience is not very pleasant by now.

They REFUSE to stop giving "refurbished" units until you get 3 faulty units consecutively, within a 3 week period. I had 3 faulty units, but because I had moved and not played in 2 months it didn't count...

So here's hoping the one they give me this time isn't as bad as the others.

Im still waiting for my rebate on the cost to repair my xbox 360. I was told since I paid for the repair service and I had an original launch console I was entitled to a refund. You think that I have received it yet? NOPE. I keep calling Xbox Tech about it and they keep trying to tell me well it should be around 4-6 wks. Well I called the day this info came out on the entitled refunds and am still hearing the same 4-6 week speech.

Last call I wasnt as nice because at this point they have put it out there I am do for a refund and its been more then the so called 4-6 weeks time frame and they need to follow through. Im not a very happy camper and the stupid thing is I will probably put the money towards the November set of games coming out anyway :)

I'm waiting for my 4th Xbox 360...so my experience is not very pleasant by now.

They REFUSE to stop giving "refurbished" units until you get 3 faulty units consecutively, within a 3 week period. I had 3 faulty units, but because I had moved and not played in 2 months it didn't count...

So here's hoping the one they give me this time isn't as bad as the others.

That's some pretty bad luck you have right there.

I'm not sure if it's bad luck or if Xbox Canada doesn't check their refurbished unit.

My first system (from launch) locked up randomly.
My second system (a refurbished launch console) locked up specifically in the same parts of the same games all the time.
My third system (a refurbished console from May) doesn't turn on 66% of the time (the centre green light lights up, that's all), then it'll finally turn on. Also way louder than the others.

There was a gongshow inbetween of errors for the 3rd one. It took me 3.5 weeks to get my empty box from Microsoft, even though it's from a town 30 mins away. I live in an apartment building, and the shipping label didn't include my buzzer number (this is what the directory is for at the door)...

So Purolator made 4 delivery attempts, never leaving a note, without success of figuring out how to use my directory. I call MS and ask where my box was, they ship me another one. A week later, it's not here, so they ship another. A week later, it's not there, so I call and wrestle a tracking number from them (very hard to do...), and find out in the shipping log the guy, over 20 instances, never figured out how to use the directory at the door nor how to leave a note...

So I call Purolator and get them to write my buzzer number on the delivery, and then it finally comes.

This most recent time I sent back the bad Xbox, I got them to ship the empty box to me at work (since I can get it during the day). I got the box in 1 business day, shipped it out the same day, asked them to ship the console to the work address as well. Turns out they shipped the replacement to my apartment again, without the buzzer number, and Purolator has it in some warehouse. I asked to pick it up from the local depot, and it's supposed to be there tomorrow by 7pm now...

So, so, so painful. Microsoft still refuses to give me a NEW console instead of a refurbished one.

Antshaw what the hell - a GameCube died on you???

Is your living space filled with smoke or something else that might be coating the console lenses? I mean you're way off in statistical anomoly land right now with those figures. I call environmental factors. :p

@Asher: That's a bad situation; hope it improves!

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a...yes.

As much as it may harm your equipment (and it can/will damage electronics and reduce the life span), I must say that if there is that much smoke in the room you need to change the environmnet! That cannot be good for you. If it can kill your 360, imagine what it can do to you :oops:

Antshaw what the hell - a GameCube died on you???

The drive from my mate's Cube died too. Within a year. But Nintendo has great service (and probably some Cubes left ;)).

Another friend of mine has two 360's and one is going back for the second time now, the other is fine.

Back