Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

I can beat him solid on Dante Must Die mode now. Just try and circle him to get him to combo you then either jump back and air grab him and then very quickly buster him (it's gotta be quick or he'll helm split you) or you if you're feeling dangerous you can avoid him and then quickly hit him with slash, slash delay, slash, slash, slash high roller and then quickly air buster for more damage. Don't jump around too much cause he'll shotgun you and make sure you throw him out of Royal Guard.

I decided to play the earlier missions again on lower difficulty levels to gather more orbs so I can buy all kinds of fun stuff since son of sparda is hellishly difficult for me since I seem to not get the hang of the most combos. I'll beat this game in every mode *someday*.

Try jumping on the roof and bustering him as he jumps up after you. It's tough and cheap but it's surprisingly effective.

Cleared ! Thanks ^_^

I decided to play the earlier missions again on lower difficulty levels to gather more orbs so I can buy all kinds of fun stuff since son of sparda is hellishly difficult for me since I seem to not get the hang of the most combos. I'll beat this game in every mode *someday*.

Yeah, I have a feeling I won't be able to clear the game on Devil Hunter mode. Generally speaking, my hands become duck feet when trying to execute the more advanced Red Queen combos.

What I like about the game is that the game is hard as hell but once you finally clear the mission, no matter what rank you get you have a huge feeling of achievement. I am now stuck in mission 5 or mission 6 in the freaking dice "puzzle". I always get a boss fight here and lose most of my life to it or in the worst case, die to it. Then when you push continue..you are back at the start of the level and its really not all that much fun going trough the dice puzzle again..then dying to the boss, and doing it once again! soon I'll play the earlier missions as many times as it takes to get million gold orbs.

What I like about the game is that the game is hard as hell but once you finally clear the mission, no matter what rank you get you have a huge feeling of achievement. I am now stuck in mission 5 or mission 6 in the freaking dice "puzzle". I always get a boss fight here and lose most of my life to it or in the worst case, die to it. Then when you push continue..you are back at the start of the level and its really not all that much fun going trough the dice puzzle again..then dying to the boss, and doing it once again! soon I'll play the earlier missions as many times as it takes to get million gold orbs.

The puzzle is easy, the dice always rotates the same way, if you punch it with the arm it will always come up in the number that you hit it on.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it is time for me to announce that son of sparda is simply IMPOSSIBLE for me. :D

That blitz, or whatever the monsters name is with electric attacks is always killing me. Now that I finally beat him barely, I can't find a way to beat dante, no matter how people say you should do, I can't do it. I suck. :)

Perhaps in the year 2012 I'll be able to do it.

I can only imagine the latter difficulty levels...simply death for me.

As a tip for the Blitz... do you have Charged Shot 3? Remember to keep charging it right past when it goes blue through purple into red (IIRC) and a single shot should destroy his shield. Once you've done that, DT and go postal :)

As for Dante, that's what I found to be the hardest fight in the game *shrug*. Ranged + creeping in slowly -> Buster -> repeat is cheap but kind of works. Did you try jumping on the roof and bustering him as he jumps after you?

finally got my copy today. i couldn't put down the controller! i had to force myself to quit. i've never finished a game on a single sit down, but i was pretty darn close here. but i know that it has loads of replay value, so i'm not worried.

playing as Nero then switching to Dante made playing as Dante so awkward despite his style of play being very similar to the Dante in DMC3 (in which i played for close to 200 hours). i actually wish they would have limited the weapons to two each (two guns and two swords, like it was in DMC3).

i'm almost finished, but i think i still prefer DMC3 slightly. but thats saying a lot as DMC3 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Phew ! I just completed the game on Devil Hunter mode (The final scene is playing now). Didn't think I could finish it. It's a pretty satisfying game.

Dante is more powerful than Nero. Like many, I prefer Nero because of the arm.

As a tip for the Blitz... do you have Charged Shot 3? Remember to keep charging it right past when it goes blue through purple into red (IIRC) and a single shot should destroy his shield. Once you've done that, DT and go postal :)

As for Dante, that's what I found to be the hardest fight in the game *shrug*. Ranged + creeping in slowly -> Buster -> repeat is cheap but kind of works. Did you try jumping on the roof and bustering him as he jumps after you?

Doh! I have been only using charge shot 1 then...didn't know it goes to all the way to red haha. I'll try it out!

thanks for the tips, hopefully I'll be able to do it.

Phew ! I just completed the game on Devil Hunter mode (The final scene is playing now). Didn't think I could finish it. It's a pretty satisfying game.

Dante is more powerful than Nero. Like many, I prefer Nero because of the arm.
Dante just has a really steep learning curve. especially after playing as Nero for so long. you can pull off way more insane combos with Dante, it just takes a lot of practice. i think thats why a lot of reviewers didn't like DMC3 that much, it was too hard with the weapon switching and all. i think thats one of the reasons why they introduced a new character (Nero obviously) as he is more user friendly.

i find that people that are new to the series prefer Nero, whereas most DMC3 fans like Dante more as his style is very similar as it was in DMC3. i'm a huge DMC3 fan (as some of you may know ;)) and at first, i actually preferred Nero too, but after getting used to Dante again, i'm starting to like him more. Dante's moves are similar to the ones in DMC3, but it doesn't help that Capcom decided to switch up the controls a little in terms of how you perform his moves.

don't want to spoil the weapons for anyone. but i wish Capcom just left out the Lucifer weapon Dante carries. i would have much preferred if they made "Dark Slayer", aka Yamato the third sword/weapon for Dante instead. but i guess he doesn't carry it the whole time.

I like the purity of using Nero. He is in many ways more technically difficult to use properly than Dante. If you want to use him correctly, you must be able to simultaneously attack and instant rev, while always charging shot 3 (it''s really the best gun fire in the game hands down), while locking on and off to switch between buster and grab. Less options but definitely more technical. I find Nero is better for crowds but Dante is more powerful on bosses.

Yeah, I was surprised by Dante's power initially. The bosses became quite easy using him. I used the "Automatic" option, so Nero's power moves come naturally. I am replaying the levels to beat the bosses again. This is the first game that took me out of Resistance for more than a week. :)

Other than Pandora, I have not wielded other new weapons at all. Are they any good at the bosses ?

I like the purity of using Nero. He is in many ways more technically difficult to use properly than Dante. If you want to use him correctly, you must be able to simultaneously attack and instant rev, while always charging shot 3 (it''s really the best gun fire in the game hands down), while locking on and off to switch between buster and grab. Less options but definitely more technical. I find Nero is better for crowds but Dante is more powerful on bosses.
i agree that Nero is technically more difficult to use properly, but thats because of the instant rev alone. Dante is much harder to master as his combat is so much deeper.
Dante can also be very good for crowds, you just have to know how. ;)

again, i do enjoy playing as Nero as well... i can instant rev 75-80% of the time too. but i prefer Dante with his depth and more varied moves. of course his style is not for everyone.

Yeah, I was surprised by Dante's power initially. The bosses became quite easy using him. I used the "Automatic" option, so Nero's power moves come naturally. I am replaying the levels to beat the bosses again. This is the first game that took me out of Resistance for more than a week. :)

Other than Pandora, I have not wielded other new weapons at all. Are they any good at the bosses ?
do you mean the guns specifically? the guns in DMC have never really been there to do much damage, but more to help you along with your combos and style.

do you mean the guns specifically? the guns in DMC have never really been there to do much damage, but more to help you along with your combos and style.

Wrong, especially in DMC4, the blue rose, pandora's box, and the shotgun each have their own way to deal massive damage.
Try charging up the blue rose to level 3 against chimera-infested enemies in DMD mode, helps very much.
Try to release the pandora's box in each of the three gunslinger modes. Missile silo mode deals heavy damage, the suitcase mode literally tears all defenses off of every enemy I can think of.
And the shotgun... it really speaks for itself. The charged shot isn't there for decoration.

How'bout the Lucifer and Gilgamesh ?
Gilgamesh is very good at breaking defenses, especially the ice demons and blitz.
Also good at taking down shields and finishing off white and gold angels.

one of the eye-poppers I saw is here

Gilgamesh + royal block proves to be very efficient at killing blitz.

And Lucifer... actually it's very useful in killing bosses at a far range. (Swordmaster mode)
because it stabs enemies that come in contact with it, it's a good weapon for "evading while you attack tactics"

Wrong, especially in DMC4, the blue rose, pandora's box, and the shotgun each have their own way to deal massive damage.
Try charging up the blue rose to level 3 against chimera-infested enemies in DMD mode, helps very much.
Try to release the pandora's box in each of the three gunslinger modes. Missile silo mode deals heavy damage, the suitcase mode literally tears all defenses off of every enemy I can think of.
And the shotgun... it really speaks for itself. The charged shot isn't there for decoration.
its not like i said they were useless... DMC4 does use them more so than previous DMC games, but they still aren't as effective as your swords (especially with bosses). i use them for style more so than to do damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back