Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

You must be mistaken,

Savior is very easy to kill! you don't have to fire the cannon, rather, use the Pandora's box Revenge mode (laser Cannon) to fire at him to be able to attack his other areas. One of the easiest levels IMHO

I guess I missed that then. Thanks for the tip. :)

I am having trouble with the reving or whatever is called, any tips?

Have a read of http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928376&topic=40982078

What is Instant Revving?

Instant Revving, or IRing, is the technique that will allow you to use the Exceed system to its full potential. It involves instantly filling the EX-Gauge, thereby lighting a Lamp without delay. This is accomplished by timing a press of LT/L2 at a predesignated point during any attack. When performed correctly, Nero's blade will flash, you will hear a short high-pitched pneumatic sound accompanied by a brief revving, and a Lamp will light up.

Mastering the Instant Rev

Achieving fluency with IR requires that the player become sensitive to the subtle rhythm of his or her button inputs. This means, paradoxically, that during combos you must pay more attention to your own hands than the screen until you develop an intuitive grasp of the necessary timings. Visual cues are the second key element of successful IRing, particularly for single-hit attacks, so I will refer to them extensively. To benefit from these you will obviously need to pay very close attention to the screen. It's up to you to maintain a healthy balance of both these methods. Our ultimate goal is to gain the ability to consistently IR Nero's every attack, such that each hit is bolstered by the power of Exceed.

There are specific combos at the link too.

One interesting thing to note... my girlfriend saw me playing this and said it was the best looking game she's ever seen my play. I was in the Jungle level... this to me is a good test for games with a balance between technical achievement and a well-suited art style.

the only thing i dont really care for is the not being able to save anywhere, i tried to save mid fortuna castle mission yesterday and today I had to start it from the beginning

Have a read of http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928376&topic=40982078

One interesting thing to note... my girlfriend saw me playing this and said it was the best looking game she's ever seen my play. I was in the Jungle level... this to me is a good test for games with a balance between technical achievement and a well-suited art style.
Personally I couldnt learn to use the rev without watching on screen. I had to coordinate my button press with what I saw on screen.
The sound also helped me. The slash sounds give me a hint on when to press L2

from the demo, i have practiced enough to be able to instant-rev 50-70% of the time when i'm doing combos/moves. special moves are pretty easy, but the standard attack combos are relatively hard.

I haven't got the game yet, it should arrive today, can't wait.

Having played the demo a number of times I'm embaressed to say I still can not get the IRing.

I hope I can figure it out soon. I read the gaf thread it was a great read though, helped me with the combat, i could finish all old dmc games but was never good. This time I hope to change that :cool:

I finally got a chance to play this game today. Not going to play DMC3 first since amazon canceled my order saying it was actually sold out now. I never did manage to beat berial in the demo even after trying a couple more times. So I started the game on human mode instead of devil hunter. I have to say that human mode is almost pathetically easy. I don't think I've really been hit much in the first few missions.

But the easiness is allowing me to really practice my instant revs. It's getting to about 20% of the time success rate (with some random flourishes). But that's way better than my 0% with a random success in the demo. I was disappointed that I couldn't map the instant rev button to L1, so I just left it on L2. So hopefully going through the game on this difficulty trains me to play the game on a more satisfying one if I choose to go through a second time.

Also, I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the graphics. I think I fell into the mantra that this was a slightly upgraded PS2 game visually, but playing a lot of DMC1 before starting this game really helped show me how far it's come. The game looks great even by current standards to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really, the jungle scene? I mean textures were good...lighting was good...art style is good. BUT those god damn flickery shadows - never seen a game have it so bad!!! Has she seen Uncharted's jungles?

I agree they are some !wow! moments...but the shadows made me cringe a little.

Are you suppose to rev before your blade impacts the guy, or before you press the button? I've been getting some revs here and there, I would say 20% tops, I just beat the frog thing on mission 4, so far I am really enjoying it, I had not played a devil may cry since the first one, but damn I forgot how bad the camera can be sometimes.

Are you suppose to rev before your blade impacts the guy, or before you press the button? I've been getting some revs here and there, I would say 20% tops, I just beat the frog thing on mission 4, so far I am really enjoying it, I had not played a devil may cry since the first one, but damn I forgot how bad the camera can be sometimes.

On normal strokes it's mid stroke...in longer strokes, like streat and high roller etc, it's as he finishes the stroke :)

Neither

You rev right before your blade stops.
The rhythm really depends on the attack you use.
I'm pretty much to about 90% of the revs: Streak, Double down/split, and High roller are really easy to rev and I would suggest any beginner to start there.

Combo A, Combo C and Combo B are the hard ones to rev every hit, and so far I'm getting to about 70% completion. I'm also expecting this rate to go up as I finish Son of Sparta mode (up to M16 now).
When you can get Streak, double down, and high roller to rev nonstop, then start working on the combos.

One thing to take note is that High roller and Streak turn into 2~3 hits if you also learn Exceed 2~3 as well as Exceed Max.
When Exceed max is activated, the normal combo hits are still as usual but if your combo reving is good, your next high roller, split/double down, or Streak becomes a 2-3 hit attack.
This delays your reving, so you have to keep an eye out for your exceed gauge so that you know that you should delay the reving.

Neither

You rev right before your blade stops.
The rhythm really depends on the attack you use.
I'm pretty much to about 90% of the revs: Streak, Double down/split, and High roller are really easy to rev and I would suggest any beginner to start there.

Combo A, Combo C and Combo B are the hard ones to rev every hit, and so far I'm getting to about 70% completion. I'm also expecting this rate to go up as I finish Son of Sparta mode (up to M16 now).
When you can get Streak, double down, and high roller to rev nonstop, then start working on the combos.

One thing to take note is that High roller and Streak turn into 2~3 hits if you also learn Exceed 2~3 as well as Exceed Max.
When Exceed max is activated, the normal combo hits are still as usual but if your combo reving is good, your next high roller, split/double down, or Streak becomes a 2-3 hit attack.
This delays your reving, so you have to keep an eye out for your exceed gauge so that you know that you should delay the reving.

I didn't understand a thing you just said :p

I think I might rent this game on my way home tonight though, then I'm sure it'l lall become clear!

Otay ! I got the game partly because I replayed Heavenly Sword recently, and also because of all the hoo-hahs. The installer slideshow feels rather 1980s. I fell asleep half way. Fortunately it repeats itself and now at least I have some grounding in Dante's history.

[usability rant deleted]

I'm going for "Automatic Devil Hunter" (Don't know what it means).

EDIT 3: Woo hoo ! Very nice intro :LOL: I think I will like this game.
Beat the fire demon, now stucked in the jumping puzzle in Fortuna Castle

What the hell does the automatic thing do? :LOL: I don't even know even though I have finished the game already and I'm playing it for 2nd time now.

What the hell does the automatic thing do? :LOL: I don't even know even though I have finished the game already and I'm playing it for 2nd time now.

Well, pressing the attack button normally would give you the usual slash patter of 4 hits. If you choose automatic, your character will perform all sorts of sword combos according to the occasion with the repeated press of a single button.

At least that was the case with DMC1

It is the perfect choice for those that can not get the hang of doing combos themselves

watching videos of very skilled DMC players, i see they can charge blue rose while attacking and doing their regular combos and just-ex'ing etc.; i find that very difficult to do with the default controls. do they remap them, or are they just really good? or do they charge blue rose at specific times while executing a combo?

Wha ? You can charge up the Blue Rose while executing sword combos ? Which video is that ? I saw two but besides very slick and advanced swordplay, I did not see them using the Blue Rose much.

By the way, how do you dispose of the Toad boss ? I always died when his life reached 2 squares. He would go into a feeding frenzy, and I kept jumping into his mouth (accidentally) because of the targeting lock.

this is just one of the videos i saw. i use this video because its from the demo, so the only spoilers here are his moves and his DT.

i actually don't even have the game yet (being shipped to me next week) so i'm not going to read your spoiler tag. ;)

Back