Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

Finished the game tonight in Human mode (Easy mode). It was an awesome ride.

Human mode was definitely too easy for me. Only died during a couple boss fights trying to figure out the correct techniques to beat them. Beat the game in about 12 hours. Still it was a great 12 hours. And I got all the Easy mode accomplishments this way. I think Human mode is perfect for casual gamers. I think most people will be able to beat it in this mode. Which is a good thing. Other games like DMC3 and NG are just too difficult for casual gamers to beat on even the easiest level.

For me the Nero parts were the best. I feel he has the best gameplay mechanics. The devil hand grabbing stuff is genius. The Dante segment was not nearly as fun for me. For one, he is way too overpowered. And two, his playstyle seems more button mashy to me instead of strategic. Maybe it's just that I did not need to be strategic with Dante because he is so overpowered on Easy mode. But Nero's play style was more fun for me.

Dante's cut scenes did make me laugh though. His cut scenes had a touch of satire and were less serious compared to Neros. They were so ridiculously over the top I laughed out loud a couple times.

The graphics visuals are just amazing. If I was just to just talk about the realtime cut scenes, I think this is the best looking PS3 game out right now. Even compared to titles like Uncharted. Some of the cutscenes made my jaw drop. They have this feature in the game where you can move the camera slightly during the cut scenes with the right stick. During some cut scenes I would move the camera around just to prove to myself that it was actually real time. I honestly could not believe it at some points.

Technically it doesn't top something like Uncharted. There is this forest level and there are shadows cast though the canopy. But the shadows don't look nearly as good as Uncharted. Also the animations during gameplay could have been better. I was hoping they would at least have proceedural animations for Dante/Neros coat/clothes but they stuck with last gen animation techniques. Still, visually and aesthetically it is still an amazing show peice.

I played the PS3 version with a DS3. And the rumble was very good. They do use rumble for gameplay to give the player hints when there are hidden items near. Rumble during the cut scenes make them even more exciting than they already are.

The ending to the game was perfect. Very satisfying experience. I'm ready to play it through on the next difficulty now.

Is human mode easier than the demo? Because I am absolutely horrible at devil may cry games and cannot beat Berial in the demo even after 4 tries. I am terrible at revving up my sword, and once he gets down to the last few bars I just get owned. I wish the dodging system worked a little more like god of war since I always forget to either let go of r1 or hold it down when trying to jump and/or dodge attacks. I will put some heavy playtime into the demo tomorrow before work, cause I'm not buying this game unless I can beat the demo.

The only DMC game I've ever played was the first one a couple of times on the easy mode. I have no idea how that compares to the easy modes on the later games, but I assume it is easier than them. I am trying to play through the first game again on normal, and ordered the special edition of the 3rd. Considering the trouble I am having with the first on normal and this demo I think buying the 3rd game may have been a waste of money.

Is human mode easier than the demo? Because I am absolutely horrible at devil may cry games and cannot beat Berial in the demo even after 4 tries. I am terrible at revving up my sword, and once he gets down to the last few bars I just get owned. I wish the dodging system worked a little more like god of war since I always forget to either let go of r1 or hold it down when trying to jump and/or dodge attacks. I will put some heavy playtime into the demo tomorrow before work, cause I'm not buying this game unless I can beat the demo.

The only DMC game I've ever played was the first one a couple of times on the easy mode. I have no idea how that compares to the easy modes on the later games, but I assume it is easier than them. I am trying to play through the first game again on normal, and ordered the special edition of the 3rd. Considering the trouble I am having with the first on normal and this demo I think buying the 3rd game may have been a waste of money.

Yes, much much easier.
Actually he's not that hard at all in Devil Hunter mode either.
For nero, I would suggest to get this combo in your head. It's very efficient.

2~3slashes
High Roller (long press、where you lift the enemy into the ground)
Aerial 1~3 slashes
Split (the one where you land on the ground)
Streak (dash+attack)
Devilbringer (brings the enemy back)
and then return to the 2~3 slashes

So far, this combo has worked for me up to Son of Sparta mode.
Mastering Exceed on all of the attacks will make you even better(I make about 85% of them now), increasing your attacking power by about 50~75%
and then when you unlock Exceed max, Exceed 1, Exceed 2, your destroying power goes to about 200%~300%, depending on how often your Exceed max gets activated. :LOL:

Side note about Exceed max:
Increasing the exceed gauge by one level is the same as in the demo
However, increasing it by 3 levels occurs when you have "perfect" timing.
which means most of the time you only get one level, but a 3 level gauge occurs rarely.
It's best to master the normal exceed mode if you want to be good at using Nero. It's his lifeline :p

The graphics visuals are just amazing. If I was just to just talk about the realtime cut scenes, I think this is the best looking PS3 game out right now. Even compared to titles like Uncharted. Some of the cutscenes made my jaw drop. They have this feature in the game where you can move the camera slightly during the cut scenes with the right stick. During some cut scenes I would move the camera around just to prove to myself that it was actually real time. I honestly could not believe it at some points.

I'm not sure camera movement proves realtime part though.
Weren't someone saying some of the cutscenes were higher resolution in PS3 version, thanks to the "power of Blu-ray"?

Don't go down the review-complaints path once again! We all know the drill with reviews, and don't need any more arguments about which scores are good/bad/on the take/stupid/etc!

I'm not sure camera movement proves realtime part though.
Weren't someone saying some of the cutscenes were higher resolution in PS3 version, thanks to the "power of Blu-ray"?

They are real time. There is no question. The only FMV cut scene it very first opening video before you press the start button.

You can also zoom in on the scene using the R2 trigger and pan around to get a real close up look while it is running.

Woo. I just picked up the LE for $79 at JB Hifi. Go, Aussies, reel in those savings! I think I'll take it in easy mode first play through, since I'm a girlyman :p

I bought the game for the 360, and frankly the whole loading thing is completely exagerated, yes, there is a lot of loading, most of the times is just the whole door animation thing, so you don't really notice anything, I don't know.. 3-4 secs tops is the worst I've seen so far. But I guess whatever helps system wars.

After completing Mission 2 the game is quite enjoyable in a campy sort of way. I love this engine - it gives me nice little flashbacks to Dead Rising and Lost Planet in that the people look, well, human, with small details looking tip-top.

It's pretty complicated - I turned off Automatic combos, but remembering to juggle between "revving", gunplay, swordplay and my demon arm, I am feeling like I'm just not playing it very well. Hopefully it gives me a "Ninja Gaiden" experience, in that I'll go back and play it again later and breeze through bits I thought were tough due to rewarding experience and making you play the game better.

Very tongue in cheek, but it's very refreshing to find a game that doesn't take itself too seriously these days.

After completing Mission 2 the game is quite enjoyable in a campy sort of way. I love this engine - it gives me nice little flashbacks to Dead Rising and Lost Planet in that the people look, well, human, with small details looking tip-top.
Yea Capcom has a winner in Framework. Awesome textures that aren't marred by that overly shiny plastic or play-doh look.

Just finished the game. It was quite nice, I am planning to play it again on harder difficulty for sure. (Only played human mode so far) just to get back in touch with the mechanics, been awhile since I last played DMC game.

Anyway what I liked and hated:

+ Boss battles, some were beyond awesome and some were quite cool anyway.

+ Story, the story was somewhat been there done that kind of deal but how it was presented made it pretty good

+ Music, it wasn't as good as the previous games IMO but there were some exceptions ofcourse.

+ Demon Bringer or whatever his hand was called. It was fun to use and made bosses "easier", dealing some nice damage and giving a freaking awesome animation most of the time.

- Backtracking, who the hell thought this was an amazing idea? God it was so annoying sometimes.

- Fighting the same monsters again..and again...AND AGAIN when you failed some puzzle. Curse you capcom for going down this path!

Overall I'd give it a 85/100.

The parts with nero were far more easier to me than the parts with dante for some reason.

I also disliked:

The fight with savior had no room for error. I seemed to not find the cannon anymore once I fired it once, fail to break the crystal on his back and its impossible to break it after that.

Oh well time to start another run on devil hunter this time! We will see if I have the energy to go trough it after that on even harder mode, perhaps them all, there's still hundreds of thousands of orbs to go for some achievements. :D

The fight with savior had no room for error. I seemed to not find the cannon anymore once I fired it once, fail to break the crystal on his back and its impossible to break it after that.

You must be mistaken,

Savior is very easy to kill! you don't have to fire the cannon, rather, use the Pandora's box Revenge mode (laser Cannon) to fire at him to be able to attack his other areas. One of the easiest levels IMHO

Back