Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

I'm not sure how the frame rate would change that. It will still appear. It's like saying you should never be able to notice motion blur, but in every case I certainly can. Some games just over do it and DMC4 on the PS3 certainly seems like its WAY over doing it in all the cases I've seen. The best I can equate it to in my past experience is Crysis when you jack the motion blur all the way up, it makes the game unplayable because its almost nauseating.

in that particular shot, Nero is probably doing his burst run, because when hes just jogging, the effect isn't that noticeable. the only time i notice the "blurring" is when theres quick movements, like when Nero is executing an attack or when hes running etc. i think Capcom added these effects in the right places, because personally, i kind of like it, and again, it has been in previous DMC games.

I'm not sure how the frame rate would change that. It will still appear. It's like saying you should never be able to notice motion blur, but in every case I certainly can. Some games just over do it and DMC4 on the PS3 certainly seems like its WAY over doing it in all the cases I've seen. The best I can equate it to in my past experience is Crysis when you jack the motion blur all the way up, it makes the game unplayable because its almost nauseating.

DMC4 is not overdoing it at all. In still pics it seems like it does, but believe me I never noticed the motion blur on my PS3 unless it is done on purpose to satisfy a certain cause such as explosions.

Dot50Cal: Can you possible post a comparison video in 720p for a comparison in motion? This can hopefully help some of the discussion here. Cheers.

Oh man! When you start mastering EX the game becomes so addicting. I must have played this demo more times than any other demo I ve ever downloaded.

yup, once you learn the combat system for DMC games (especially DMC3 and 4) you really get hooked. i spent countless hours just replaying levels and trying out new combos, because they really are limitless. the learning curve is also steep, but the reward is so satisfying when you pull off crazy moves/combos.

Dot50Cal: Can you possible post a comparison video in 720p for a comparison in motion? This can hopefully help some of the discussion here. Cheers.

I can try, but it will have to be short, since Ill be using my own bandwidth rather than Gamersyde's. Ill hop on it tomorrow.

The blur really only takes effect when theres movement, and in some cases during cutscenes. I was surprised I didn't notice this but they didnt even do any effects when Nero extinguishes the flames:

blur.jpg

it seems like both versions do have the blur effect.

check out the link below.

<Nero the fire extinguisher>

The effect seems slightly more noticeable on ps3 one, but it should be considered that they are not exactly synced.

Meh, I need to wait few days more before I get to test this demo out because I got silver account. :)

However I get to test it right before the full game releases! :D

I dont understand what the big deal about the "double vision" is. Looks to me like its supposed to be there. It happens when he starts to sprint, and lasts for less than a second. Looks like its showing hes going faster.

its because some of the screenshots posted here magnify the issue, when in reality, while you're playing the game, its a very subtle effect and is only noticeable in places where Capcom meant to put them. its there to signify fast movement. the game is all about devilish powers, so most of the characters can move freakishly fast.
as for the blur that mimics AA, that is not noticeable at all during gameplay.

as for the comparison shots above where Nero is running up the stairs, those could be different frames. like on the PS3 image, Nero might be sprinting, but on the 360 image, it could be that hes just about the sprint.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flicker and double vision and the blur are all in the previous DMC games. I assume double vision and the blur are artistic choice, while the flicker is PS2 problem.

Most of this is not motion blur, not even fake motion blur IMHO.
Objects/backgrounds moving in the time it takes the camera to take a picture will get a constant transition and the path will cover motion that happened during the frame.

This motion trail or image ghosting stuff displays the previous frame's contents and the two states are discrete. You could try to argue that it's an approximation of 30 fps + motion blur but it's still different and the lack of smooth transitions will probably make it more like some weird laggy effect.

The exception is that single screenshot with the flame demon, but even in that case it's not completely clear if it's motion blur or some simple image processing effect like radial blur (used a lot ever since the first Xbox).

Most of this is not motion blur, not even fake motion blur IMHO.
Objects/backgrounds moving in the time it takes the camera to take a picture will get a constant transition and the path will cover motion that happened during the frame.

This motion trail or image ghosting stuff displays the previous frame's contents and the two states are discrete. You could try to argue that it's an approximation of 30 fps + motion blur but it's still different and the lack of smooth transitions will probably make it more like some weird laggy effect.

It isn't a motion trail or motion blur, I think they really want to create a ghosting effect. Its been like that in all DMC games. They want to create that annoying devilish world look I guess.

Ok, I have a video of gameplay. I had to resize each to 640x360 (half size) since I dont think anyone here can run a 2560x720 video. Its very short, but it shows them side by side like the gif I posted. Please dont share the link, since its using my personal bandwidth.

SAVE TARGET AS (Its 76MB)

Mod Note: Just removing the link for now. NavNuc's suggestion is quite valid!
-AlS

Heh heh, successfully grabbed it before it went offline :D

Other than pausing it on certain frames and locating the frame blend effect on the PS3,
I couldn't really make out any real differences.
especially in motion....

If anyone wants the link let me know. Strange, I agree with you. I can see no difference. One thing it does show is how the 360 version has frame tearing (check the top/mid of the screen when Nero breaks into a run at the first clip)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back