Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

Theres a whole boat load of them and the usual comparison wars complete with pics over on NeoGAF if you're a brave man/woman/backwards talking dancing midget*

*Delete as appropriate

thats quite a difference i think between ps3 and xbox versions.
snow level looks very bland

Yikes that is a very noticeable difference.
ugh.gif
With this and the Lost Planet port it looks like the Framework engine likes the x360 better.

The textures certainly have a finer detail on the 360, but they're probably not significant during gameplay IMHO.

How are the loading times?

These shots are very hard to judge things on ... I don't understand the AA in this - what is motion blur, what is depth of field, etc.? For instance in the shots above, some things are more AAd in the PS3 version (look at the black bars in front of the windows which have near perfect AA and compare them with the 360 version), other things the other way around. Puzzling. This is what initially also made me think that the 360 version had more detail in the textures, I thought the 360 had less AA, AA blurring out the textures a little.

The difference in AA may be attributed to two things (best guess):

1) Quincunx AA versus 2xMSAA
2) MSAA sample points

The first would blur everything on-screen on the PS3, and might account for perceived texture differences, but the polygon AA would look fairly good.

Nice set of pictures. AA looks 0 on PS3 and 2x on XB360 to me with a quick glance. Texture detail is clearly there in XB360, but is it 100% due to texture res? A cursory glance suggests to me perhaps some texture filtering (or splodgulating) going on with PS3. Every texture is notably lacking in XB360's detail, which doesn't really tally with 40 MBs less RAM, unless they are restricted perhaps by split pools? However, look at the window railings in last two images. XB360's textures are jaggedy, whereas PS3's are smoothed out. Similarly compare the white trim on Dante's right hand in pics 5. PS3's is much smoother. It's like PS3 has texture/shader smoothing while XB360 has geometry smoothing. The whole PS3 look is software rather than splodgier which lower textures alone would produce, and I don't really know what to make of that.

Im probably saying this wrong too, but the sprites (environmental effects, forgot the name but I know they probably aren't sprites anymore ;D) seem to be 1/2 size on PS3. It really looks like they just scaled every texture to half size for PS3, which is a shame.

Can anyone comment on the shadow being cast on the mountains? It looks like a rendering error http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/dmc4/PS31.jpg

EDIT: Scratch that, seems like some frames from the previous camera angle stuck to this one. Must be an engine bug on the PS3 version. Updated the picture with a proper shot.

Check out Gamersyde in a little bit, Blim should be posting my comparison video. Even with a healthy bitrate the differences are hard as heck to spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first would blur everything on-screen on the PS3, and might account for perceived texture differences, but the polygon AA would look fairly good.
Good suggestion with the Quincunx. Geometry AA is poor in the PS3 version though.

Check out picture 5 especially, it contains a whole lot of blur. Its like that during that whole scene while the 360 one is crystal clear.

People on other forums are saying the ps3 output is blurrier including the HUD ..
a) possible?
b) why?

Good suggestion with the Quincunx. Geometry AA is poor in the PS3 version though.

Ah right, I'm just looking a little more closely now. The edge AA does look nicer in the 360 screens.

Some notes:

1. In the first comparison, it looks like the 360 has (much) better polygon AA. The ground texture on the lower right is clearly higher in detail as well.
  2. In the second screenshot with the boss, the chest texture detail is also higher on the 360 and polygon AA is only slightly better (under close scrutiny).
  3. In the third screenshot the tower looks to have better AA on the 360 and slightly better detail all around on the building textures.
  4. In the fourth screenshot, the textures on the pillar look sufficiently different to not be a detriment of Quincunx, however, the ground texture does look blurrier on the PS3.
  5. The fifth screenshot is where I thought the Quincunx might be causing too much blur. It's a fairly distinct difference in the entire screenshot and not just the enemy character. The 360 shows better polygon AA on the player's character's sword. Some edges on the character don't look AA'ed ( likely due to the number and position of samples).
  6. The sixth screenshot between the two platforms are entirely different, so I won't comment further. :p
  7. The 7th screenshot shows overall image blurring on the PS3 (evidence of QAA), and at the same time, the edge AA looks like better (for a change) on the PS3. That it looks better might be due to sample positions.
My conclusion is that they're using QAA on PS3 and 2xMSAA on 360, but the 360 has slightly different textures as well.

People on other forums are saying the ps3 output is blurrier including the HUD ..
a) possible?
b) why?

Seems so, but its very slight and wouldn't affect textures as much as they are here (im sure you know this though). PS3's analog output seems to be slightly less sharp than the 360's. Compare the HUD yourself and you will see the difference is very minor. If this continues into the day, I will post some lossless shots but its bed time for me now :p.

c) system wars babble

This too :) Just some people reaching for anything they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back