Devil May Cry 4 @ TGS

I was quite puzzled by the ~20 minute install time

a 5 GB install should take around 10 minutes to install considering the 9MB/s transfer rate of Blu-ray

then I came across this

http://boards.ign.com/devil_may_cry/b5258/156955993/p1/?18
Performance: Most specifically this deals with Load times as performance wise both versions are identical.

The PS3 version of DMC4 has a HDD install feature, which at a storage requirement of 4.9 GB and a 21 minutes install time gives the player NON-EXISTANT load times. You are able to go from large open environments to ornate indoor environments in literally a blink of an eye. This feature is non-optional.

During this HDD Install, you will have a chance to view a 20 minute long narrative/cutscene exposition on the story of DMC. This is a compilation of important cutscenes from the previous games and will help in setting up the story of DMC4. This video is not available on the 360 in any shape or form, not even in the console bundle.

The normal load times for DMC4 are never longer than 5 seconds and that is on the PS3 version. The 360 version will load slightly faster due to having a faster disc reader but it will never has loadless times like the PS3 installed version.

If there 's a 20 minute video playing during the installation process, I can understand the long install time.
Also a good idea to have that video during install, before this we would have to stare at a small progress bar proceed through 10 minutes.

Cheers to Capcom for this great idea for having the option of playing a video when installing, albeit my wrath for moving MH3 away from PS3 :devilish:

i just hope not many developers follow this trend of installing this much on the HDD. i thought 2GB was a lot, but now just under 5GB! luckily i can stream my media to my PS3, otherwise i would feel the need to upgrade my 80GB.

So, this is not a requirement? Then what is the issue? For non-existent load times I think it's a great trade off.

i think it is a requirement.
The PS3 version of DMC4 has a HDD install feature, which at a storage requirement of 4.9 GB and a 21 minutes install time gives the player NON-EXISTANT load times. You are able to go from large open environments to ornate indoor environments in literally a blink of an eye. This feature is non-optional.

Milky from 1UP posted some off-the-cuff load time comparisons on his blog:
Mielke said:
I'll leave the in-depth visual analysis for some upcoming coverage we have planned for DMC4, but a couple other points: Xbox 360 controls feel really good, especially since every 360 controller has the force-feedback. If you've imported a Dual Schock 3 from Japan you're all set, but if you're one of the many without a DS3 you'll be missing out a little. The PS3 has not-that-noticeably shorter load times between screens, but that's like 2 seconds versus the Xbox 360's 3 second loads. Seriously, count out 3 seconds. The PS3, however, forces you to install the game on your harddrive, a not insignificant process. I don't know why you're made to do this

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8566301&publicUserId=4549175

This is from the review versions, which is apparently the latest build. A few other sites had preview builds which mentioned a larger discrepancy between versions, but I'm guessing we won't know for sure until the final game hits. For reference, he also notes that both versions are graphically identical in game (though I'm sure B3D will pull out the microscopes when the final game hits!) however PS3 seems to have higher encoded FMV.

As a 360 owner, I would like to have the ability to view the "catch up" movies, since so many of these Japanese stories are off the wall and I know I'll be confused. It's my first jump into the series and while I'm sure it's not going to be Shakespeare, story is story.

I personally am more than happy to wait an extra second of loading to avoid the 20 minute install. The load differences (if correct) would probably be about the same as the install across the whole game anyhow. I guess it's because I'm part of the generation that rips open games on the way home from the shops to read the manual in an effort to jump into the game as soon as I walk in the door!

Anyway, excitement is slowly building.

The normal load times for DMC4 are never longer than 5 seconds and that is on the PS3 version. The 360 version will load slightly faster due to having a faster disc reader but it will never has loadless times like the PS3 installed version.

That is what throws me off though.

EDIT: I guess the post above me confirms it, required install. That's kind of lame...

as a PS3 owner, i'm not very happy with the 20min install. but personally, i'd rather have an initial install and have virtually no load times than have frequent load times throughout, even if they're short. but at the same time, i don't like the amount that is required to be installed on the HDD either.

... i don't like the amount that is required to be installed on the HDD either.
As a 20GB PS3 owner, it seems particularly excessive to me. Granted, I bought the model figuring I'd rather spend $100 less and replace the drive later for $100 or less than spend the cash on features I have no use for, but I didn't expect the drive to be filled by installs of games purchased on disk.

It's not too bad, as you can always kill the installs later on (it doesn't affect your saved games, after all--just the speed at which you can pop in the disk months later and play again), but then I have a 60GB and am less concerned about that.

Still, even with a 20, it takes a while to fill up your console with game-pertinent data, and if you're wanting to toss a lot of media on it, it's more convenient (and gives you a lot more space) to plug in an external hard drive.

Well 20 mins installing won't be that bad, you might aswell go to the nearest shop and get some beer and some snacks while at it. Or better yet, have some snacks while watching the movie. :)

I'll be picking up the Xbox360 version though because I don't have a PS3 yet.

Several friends of mine have opted for the 360 version over ps3 because of the large installation time, and that here in uk yuo can get the 360 version £10 cheaper.

So, cheaper and quicker to pick up and play, Can't blame them, still going for ps3 version myself though.

I hope the demo will come out this thursday, there isn't a great deal of time before the game comes out.

Install time doesnt bother me. I still do most of my gaming on the PC, where you have to install most games anyways. The 20min background video will be nice as well. Id rather have the install, than longer (if only barely) loading times.

Looking forward to this, and Turok. Good first two months of the year.

There are some strange inconsistencies. I think some people are jumping the gun on the hdd install being required:

This comment seems to me to suggest that the HDD install is, in fact, optional. Why else could anyone know that load times are never longer than 5 seconds on PS3 and even slightly less on 360, and that load times are reduced to 0 when you go for the HDD installed version on the PS3?

However, if the install indeed comes with those nice cutscenes and no load-times at all, then I'd probably go for it anyway. But I'm not a big DMC fan (yet). I loved DMC1 for its architecture, but the gameplay just wasn't what I was looking for, and I barely even finished the demo back then.

I'll be sure to try the demo of this one though, who knows I change my mind.

Hmm, other sources are hinting at a Demo on 17th or 18th

http://gamercenteronline.blogspot.com/2008/01/rumor-devil-may-cry-demo-news.html

I hope this post is okay

The demo seems to include
(1) Exterminator: players can do whatever the hell they want and get as far as they want within 10 minutes.

(2) Exterminator: You get to play thru the snow area and beat the boss (Berial)note: if you play fast enough, you can get to Berial while playing Exterminator mode.

Note: after reading through the scans, the second mode is "executioner", not "exterminator".

The scan seems to stem from Taiwan, and, being able to read Chinese, it seem that according to the magazine's knowledge, the download will be provided starting "next friday". (I hope it is this Friday :D)
Friday in Taiwan should translate to Thursday night in US.

Back