Official White Knight Story (level 5 RPG) thread

I expect a major blowout at TGS.
It's weird that SCE publishes the title and yet they haven't said a single word about it in almost a year. You would think that they would seriously hype this game because the japanese public is probably starving for a good JRPG for PS3.

Maybe they are planning for a serious holiday season assualt. Instead of building hype over a long period of time, bring in the impulse buyers who will snag it off of the short positive previews / reviews.

There is an interview about White knight in Famitsu. This is the translated version

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12828729&postcount=238

Thanks for the link. Here's the highlight:

Ha: So that means, instead of a game where you just blindly play to move forward, there's another, completely different face to this game?
Hi: That's exactly it. WKC has a lot of different aspects to it, and has playstyles which have never even existed conceptually in existing RPG's. I can't go into much detail atm, but WKC is not just about enjoying the adventure.

Ha: When you say it's not just about enjoying the story...
Hi: Unfortunately, I can't reveal the details just yet, but we're added this aspect which is only possible on the PS3.

Ha: Hm....I'm really curious. When will we be able to find out the details?
Hi: Hm...I'd like to reveal it as soon as possible.

I hope it's not one of those inflated claims.

Only possible on the PS3 in the context of RPG suggests to me that you can go almost anywhere all the time, as you don't have to switch discs all the time on the BluRay. FF X-2 was a bit like that, so it probably has something extra, but I suppose it has to be something related to this.

They use the word "aspect". It would suggest something more than just walking/fighting in areas ( I hope ! :) ). It sounds like something different you could do. It's about 3 months away, so hopefully they show something in TGS.

I'm thinking the "Only on PS3" portion will have something to do with online connectivity, home, etc etc. Basically features and things exclusive to PS3, but nothing that wouldn't be possible on other consoles, technically.

The game is supposed to have a fairly robust online component, which hasn't been revealed that much yet, IIRC. I think it was in an interview with Phil that talked about the online functionality.

You're all wrong.

It's "Only On PS3" as in published by Sony. Start thinking please. Isn't this the place where we can see thru PR speak? I seriously doubt WKC couldn't be pulled off on the 360 if FF13 can-one way or another.

Also, why the heck is this thread called "White Knight Story"? The damn game is labelled "Chronicles" and not "Story". Get it right.

I expect a major blowout at TGS.
It's weird that SCE publishes the title and yet they haven't said a single word about it in almost a year. You would think that they would seriously hype this game because the japanese public is probably starving for a good JRPG for PS3.

No. Hype with the product a year or more away = BAD. Especially in Western regions.

Until Sony officially markets the game in our regions, you won't hear a damn word from the American or European Sony divisions on it - it's better the public doesn't know about WKC until they're actively working on a localization and have a shipping date, than hyping them up for a game that is out in Japan only for a good 6 months most likely, before it hits anything else.

You're all wrong.

It's "Only On PS3" as in published by Sony. Start thinking please. Isn't this the place where we can see thru PR speak? I seriously doubt WKC couldn't be pulled off on the 360 if FF13 can-one way or another.

Also, why the heck is this thread called "White Knight Story"? The damn game is labelled "Chronicles" and not "Story". Get it right.

All we can really do is wait for the rumored Level 5 event or TGS.

"Only on PS3" may mean anything from SIXAXIS, EyeToy, no disc-swapping(TM), PSN-specifics (user generated content which MS doesn't want to focus on), or getting Kutaragi's signatures. :)

You're all wrong.

Just because it's B3D it doesn't suddenly mean everyone's a superior being! :p

And I'm guessing the thread is named as it is because it was started a couple of years ago.

And I'm guessing the thread is named as it is because it was started a couple of years ago.

Exactly. ;)

Man, I'll tell you one thing about B3D though - people absolutely hate starting new threads, vs just keeping whatever ancient one going.

OT:

Exactly. ;)

Man, I'll tell you one thing about B3D though - people absolutely hate starting new threads, vs just keeping whatever ancient one going.

One thing I noticed that is different between B3D and NeoGAF for example is that this forum keeps the "last visited" date for each thread (or at least for a good number of threads) which allows you to just click on the "go to last read post" button anytime, independently of how many times you visited the forum in-between.

I always thought this was the reason why people kept using the same threads (and were even seemingly encouraged to do so). NeoGAF has much more traffic and a greater number of threads, and if they kept time records for every combination it would use a lot more DB space, but by keeping the number of threads low, B3D sort of avoids this problem (if it is a problem at all).

However, sometimes people post stuff in a thread that has to do with the thread title's main subject and nothing to do with the probably ancient OP. Sometimes it just makes info easier to find, other times it's annoying. :LOL: Now, are you telling me this doesn't happen by design, it's just a trend that caught on? :D

On-Topic:
The guy interviewed in the last Famitsu had pretty powerful, hype-generating words and seemed to really believe they have something special. That attitude worked at least for me, I'm (more) hyped now and curious to see what'll come out of it, especially given we haven't seen anything about WKC for ages. :smile:

This thread hasn't been brought back from the dead though - it's been fairly active in the last couple of years. At least that's my impression.

On topice: Yeah, this game looks... umm, good.

Exactly. ;)

Two simple things here, that shouldn't be rocket science:

1. If there's a thread on a topic already, it very likely also contains information on that topic.
2. If you make a new thread, you'll first have checked if there isn't at least a recent thread on the topic. Very often, you'll find the older thread. Now you have to start thinking about whether or not that older thread is so old that you actually need a new thread. Except that there is no user logic whatsover in making a new thread - this seems to me to be a desire that is only useful for board management.
3. When you do make a new thread, then once you've entered the title, the board will helpfully show you all threads that may match your subject automatically, so as to prevent you from making duplicate threads. Here there's no filter for threads that are actually older than a certain time, nor is there any admin message suggesting you to check the dates and if older than ... what? a year? ... to make a new thread rather than click one of the older threads and continue there.

In other words, this board really wants you to reuse existing threads. ;)

Personally, I think if reusing old threads is really destructive to board performance, maintenance or whatever, then implement a feature that locks threads that have a latest post older than x amount of days.

Otherwise, I would make/keep preventing double threads from occuring to main priority, and be happy that users here know how to use the search button. :cool:

/off-topic

Really curious about this game. It's been quiet for a fair while, as this thread itself suggests ;), but the game looked promising back then, and it looks promising now.

- it's been fairly active in the last couple of years. At least that's my impression.

I mean maybe I have a different idea for things, but years isn't really the metric I go by!

Now granted the title of this thread is pretty over-arching, but if it was me I probably would have started a thread along the lines of: White Knight Release Date announced

At least, that blends with my own posting/reading style which tends to lean towards ignoring threads once I've lost interest in them, hopeful that any new "bulletin" style information will receive a clean slate. But I guess for some, keeping up with threads over the course of several years is no big deal. :)

Anyway just some side-commentary from me... the game itself (obviously) is what drew me back to the thread. Hope it gets released in the West sometime this decade!

I mean maybe I have a different idea for things, but years isn't really the metric I go by!

Now granted the title of this thread is pretty over-arching, but if it was me I probably would have started a thread along the lines of: White Knight Release Date announced

At least, that blends with my own posting/reading style which tends to lean towards ignoring threads once I've lost interest in them, hopeful that any new "bulletin" style information will receive a clean slate. But I guess for some, keeping up with threads over the course of several years is no big deal. :)

Anyway just some side-commentary from me... the game itself (obviously) is what drew me back to the thread. Hope it gets released in the West sometime this decade!

Oh dear. It's now abundantly clear I have a very empty life! Thanks Carl. ;)

I do take your point though. But on some other forums where the boundaries get muddied I do find sometimes that the minutest detail gets a new thread. And on B3D when you do try to create a new thread you very helpfully get suggestions for already existing threads.

Also, what Arwin said.

Sorry, enough OT. If it's an issue I'm sure some sterling mod will move to Site Feedback.

Yes yes, enough OT. Don't worry you and Arwin aren't the only ones who don't agree with me.

White Knight Story - that's the thing to talk about. :)

Sadly there isn't a great deal to talk about just yet, before TGS 08.

The little footage we have seen is truly...little. It looked great back then and I am not a JRPG guy at all, so that means something. I want this game.

But with no footage, discussion is impossible. We need to wait until the TGS bombshell.

BTW, Level 5 (the devs) have said there will be a shocking revelation at TGS, most definitely unrelated to WKC. Maybe a new Cloud game? PS3 exclusivity is a given at this point - Level 5 has heavy tie-ins with Sony as far as publishing goes. Not like Square.

Back