GT HD Premium = GT5 Prologue | GT HD Classic = GT:HD at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Classic is great. I am the type of gamer who really likes to perfect one course/car and when I really have mastered the course I might want to move on.

Think Sega Rally on the Saturn. 4 tracks and 3 cars but more fun than almost all other racing games.

I can think more fun than that.

As I mentioned, the people buying into the 2nd SKU may be different from PD's traditional userbase.

The picture in my mind is this... Today, many people (like me !) are still not into driving sim. I don't think forking out USD 50 (or 60) is worthwhile, especially if I already have say... RiiiiidgeRacer 7.

The 2nd SKU allows PD to target these people at a lower price (Since I will likely only buy 2-3 cars). *If* I get hooked, I might buy more cars and/or upgrade to the 1st SKU. I don't think people will buy all 500 cars. It's just crazy. Over time, the 2nd SKU will likely evolve separately since its audience are different to begin with.

The problem is with the 1st SKU since it targets the existing user base. They will need some genuine incentives to encourage people to buy/download. There are a few mechanisms... but I'll leave it as that since we should hear it from the horse's mouth instead. Let's hope they are not too greedy. ;-)

On the bulk discount side, this would be a lot more acceptable if they had a $30-40 pack which gives you 80-90% of GT4's tracks and cars. That would be acceptable, still a total rip-off when you think about it but a lot more acceptable.

Classic must absolutely be free, I cannot fathom them having the gall to charge for it, oh wait, what am I thinking, this is Sony we're talking about here. For the love of god I hope GT5 has none of this total nonsense. Extra content is fine by me, but not like this.

I think that the right thing to do is release a full game with a considerable amount of cars and tracks. Then, months later after the game release, they should have car packs available for download. But the full game? that´s insane.

On the other hand, you can just get the PS2 version of GT4 for 20 bucks (if you don't already have it, mind), then figure out which your favorite cars are, and only get those.

I'd like to see a line that sets off people who bought GT4 against how many cars they drove. What percentage has driven more than 50 cars? 100? 200? 500?? All 729 of the GT4 PAL version?????

I'm quite a fan, but if I've driven more than 200 of these cars ... hmmm. The big point is not that you have 729 cars, but that you can choose cars that mean something to you, that you want to drive. And that's preserved in the online purchase. It's also a good test, because downloadable cars are definitely the way to go. I can't wait to be able to download the latest model of certain cars for instance.

And the price, well, we'll see. If noone buys them, they'll get cheaper, won't they? These things have a way to sort themselves out.

:mad:Even if the base product is free I think GTHD Classic and it's pay per car and track for existing assets you already bought once so we can charge you up the yinyang to beta test our late to the party features while we take our sweet time making a proper sequel which by the way will be available for your gullible ass to pay for a demo of all the while we use the preceeding year of shameless fleecing to figure out exactly how to most efficiently rape one of the most devoted fanbases in the history of videogames is....

... HORSES**T!!!

And the price, well, we'll see. If noone buys them, they'll get cheaper, won't they? These things have a way to sort themselves out.

Yap, that's why I'm not too concerned. :)
I'm actually happy that someone is pushing the envelope.
I just don't want companies to embarrass themselves by being too greedy at the beginning.

Sounds to me like Sony is just charging people to beta test a demo.

Strange part is, most of you seem to like that idea.

Paying per car/track is the worst example of nickle-and-diming ever. Part of the fun of GTn was trying out the different cars, seeing what they looked like. Having to actually shop for them is so lame and cheap. And then to buy them just to roam around an empty pointless bit of scenery?

I'm hoping that this is pre-release stuff. You can buy the cars and treacks now for your demo, but when they're all done Polyphony will release the full game with all the content.

Still, I'm keen to see what the game looks like. It's starting to face stiffer competition every time a car game comes out and if they're being so cheap to sell individual content, it'd better looked damned good! And a pax on all the chumps that bought GT4:prologue for showing Polyphony that people are daft enough to spend money on incomplete content.

No joke. If this becomes the norm in videogames ... I'll just play Candyland on painkillers. Maybe some Risk.

Or take up smoking pot and meticulously painting pewter figurines for use in epic dice rolling tabletop warfare!

Wait. 3 dollars per figurine. Times army of 100 Blood Angels... Plus paint, Plus weed, minus condoms, plus whatever rullebooks and gameboard....

Crap. Candyland it is.

Edit: Let it be known that I am a fanatical fan of the GT series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, I'm keen to see what the game looks like. It's starting to face stiffer competition every time a car game comes out and if they're being so cheap to sell individual content, it'd better looked damned good! And a pax on all the chumps that bought GT4:prologue for showing Polyphony that people are daft enough to spend money on incomplete content.

I know you can't post scans here, but can you post a link to a thread with scans? Or a link to an attachment which is a scan in a thread? Or can I say that somewhere on gtplanet.net, in the GT5 forums, is a scan with three Premium pictures of a new Swiss track contrasted against Classic? I'll guess I'll be safe and stick to the latter.

I'm sure that GT5 will come (like Premium, let it be known) will come with a whole set of cars and tracks (and bodykits), but then will offer additional ones for downloads.

And I bought GT4: Prologue because it still beat any other game. Pax on all the other games for not being good enough.

Do you have proof that the game is unstable ? Incomplete from the traditional sense, yes... but beta test ? We also don't know the pricing yet, do we ?

Paying per car/track is the worst example of nickle-and-diming ever. Part of the fun of GTn was trying out the different cars, seeing what they looked like. Having to actually shop for them is so lame and cheap. And then to buy them just to roam around an empty pointless bit of scenery?

:D
They definitely need to work out the entire experience. e.g., How to test drive a car before buying, what else can users do besides buy and race, can users win stuff in online races (to encourage people to buy more cars) ? There appears to be community building potential too (e.g., recommended cars to buy for quick purchases). At this moment, I'm intrigued enough to follow this more closely.

But I can understand all the apprehension. I'm sure the PD guys are watching too, since this is something new. If it falls flat, the 2nd SKU will just disappear from the face of the Earth.

I'm so glad you posted this cos this will allow me to paste here a message I wrote for GAF while the thread about this GT news was being closed.

myself lol said:
It's not like you have to HAVE every single car in the game to appreciate it and its different racing styles. And no, there are not "millions" of different, car specific competitions in any GT. Here is the Race Events list from GT4:

GameFAQs said:
a. Beginner Events
b. Professional Events
c. Extreme Events
d. European Events
e. Japanese Events
f. American Events
g. Endurance Events
h. Special Conditions
i. Driving Missions
j. Manufacturer's Events
I. America
II. France
III. Germany
IV. Italy
V. Japan
VI. Korea
VII. UK

Bare in mind you don't need a specific car for each one of these to partecipate (Endurance for example).

Then again, we know shit about what exactly you are going to get when you buy a track. What do you get for buying Twin Ring Motegi? Do you just get the Road Course or you also get its variations (East Short Course, West Short Course and Super Speedway)?

And then, Shifty Geezer, why do you assume you wont be able to "try out the different cars, seeing what they looked like" with this model? For all we know you could even download all those friggin 750 cars for free and race them (just offline) for a limited period of time and then decide which ones you REALLY want and then pay for those.

And yes, GAF lurkers, I AM a huge fan of the series. Just not a collector-oh-my-god-gotta-have-all-those-750-cars-in-my-garage. Expecially when most of them come with just slightly different variations.

I kinda like the sound of it. This is actually a better idea than what I thought the e3 demo was going to be. (which is a real game for 60 bucks, fuck that shit; especially when its a ps2 game on steroids)

If they charge 10-20 for this I think I'll be in. Theres no way im going to buy all the tracks and cars so adding all that money up is pointless to me. And I can't wait to see how the Premium version looks. Online mode could be fun.

I know you can't post scans here, but can you post a link to a thread with scans? Or a link to an attachment which is a scan in a thread? Or can I say that somewhere on gtplanet.net, in the GT5 forums, is a scan with three Premium pictures of a new Swiss track contrasted against Classic? I'll guess I'll be safe and stick to the latter.

doh, i'm an idiot. *hurdles over to gtplanet*

*returns after having seen the scans*

yep, i'm so getting the official GT5. PD are shooting for the authentic feel of a racing track to the last details.

I don't see the big deal with this. If you have to pay $20 for the game and then $10 on cars and tracks to be able to play this online TEST/DEMO game, who cares? If you want to see what GT5 is going to be like, buy GT HD Premium. If you want the next Gran Turismo game, wait for 5. If you want to play 4, play 4 and don't use GT:HD as a replacement for 4.

I don't see the big deal with this. If you have to pay $20 for the game and then $10 on cars and tracks to be able to play this online TEST/DEMO game, who cares? If you want to see what GT5 is going to be like, buy GT HD Premium. If you want the next Gran Turismo game, wait for 5. If you want to play 4, play 4 and don't use GT:HD as a replacement for 4.

And if you want to play GT4 online with lots of modes, 20 players, in HD, with 3D hubcaps, then GT:HD isn't a bad choice either

Do you have proof that the game is unstable ? Incomplete from the traditional sense, yes... but beta test ? We also don't know the pricing yet, do we ?

Did I say the game was unstable, or just unfinished? Is the online service final, or is it still in Beta?

And as for pricing...

Apparently this version starts with no cars or courses. You download a car for 50 - 100 yen (0.43 - 0.85$) and a course for 200 - 500 yen (1.71 - 4.26$).

And now for my own question.

Will they also charge for upgrades to your car, do they come fully upgraded, or are the totally non-upgradable? I have trouble picturing them charging for the car and the track but giving you all of the upgrades for free.

From what I gather from reading elsewhere the GT HD is one package, and in it is the Classic GT4 HD and the Premium GT4 HD (which is akin to GT5 Prologue). The Premium part seems like some sort of little bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back