Vista RC1 internet propblems

oddfellow

Regular
Seems like there are many people with this problem, but nobody has an answer as to what's causing it.

I have installed Vista RC1 (x64) and it's running fine, however, I can only access certain websites, others simply don't respond, even though absolutely everything else is working fine.

Windows update works fine, I definately am connected to the internet, but sites like google, or even microsoft.com simply don't work. Page is not responding error messages etc..

I'd say only about 35-40% of the webites I've tried to access actually work.

I'm going through a router. XP works fine, Vista beta2 works fine, Windows2000pro works fine. RC1 doesn't work, despite having identical network/IE settings.

HELP!!

What happens if you install firefox, and use that instead of IE7? :D

Do other programs work alright across the internet such as chatters/VoIP, file sharing, games etc?

Could you try to ping one of the unresponsive websites with the "don't fragment flag" and a fixed (and decreasing) packet size and see if you get a response? I.e. it won't work with a 1500 byte packet (default), but it will with a smaller one, say 576 bytes (minimum)?

If your provider is using PPPoE, your issue sounds like it manifests itself the same way this well known problem, but I really don't know whether they may be related.

It seems to be only affecting people with ASUS motherboards that use the on board Marvel network adapter.

I finally found a sloution. It's a Marvel driver problem, NOT a Vista problem.

32bit users can fix the problem by using the newest driver from Marvel.
64bit users can fix the problem by disabling the "TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)" function in the device manager.

There are more details HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting.

What board are you running?
I haven't installed RC1 yet, and I think I have that ethernet onboard too.

I'm using an A8R-MVP, though I've heard many other Asus boards are affected.
Again, it seems to be the Marvel Yukon drivers that cause the problem. If your mobo doesn't use a marvel solution it'll probably be fine.

Sounds like you're missing the right DNS settings or have some sort of firewall/filter fwcking up the connection.

Back