Confirmed CELL 3.2GHz

It's probably there because CELL itself contains the controller, and CELL is not solely a PS3 part.

Not just no RSX clock, but no mention of RSX's existence. OH, NOEZ!! Does this mean that there won't be a GPU and we'll actually get the Cell-based GPU that everybody knew with absolute certainty was part of the original plan?! Maybe we'll get 128 SPEs, too!
Relax, Im sure the magic is in the 750MHz SATA1 Controller, just think about it, why 256MB Vidram when you can have a whole 20GB HDD? And its 250 more megahurz than Xenos to boot !!!!1111

I'm curious about the "33MHz (PCI)" part on the same line.
Could be to hook up with the network interface controller, or it's simply there on the south bridge and not actually connected to anything; we have no specifics on the capabilities of the I/O processor of PS3. It could be a very superflously modified PC part with say, hyperlink or similar interface cut out, and rambus stuff pasted in instead.

It's obviously not the case, unless there's some wordplay there we're not understanding.

It would basically preclude the PS3 from being online wirelessly while using a bluetooth controller. Does that make any sense at all? No.

So yeah, bluetooth and WiFI at the same time - let's put another stupid rumor to rest before it starts. ;)

All it will be is that they will literally not transmit at the same time as each other. They will both be running, but take turns at broadcasting so as to reduce interference and keep up bandwidth. Relax guys :)

Not just no RSX clock, but no mention of RSX's existence. OH, NOEZ!! Does this mean that there won't be a GPU and we'll actually get the Cell-based GPU that everybody knew with absolute certainty was part of the original plan?! Maybe we'll get 128 SPEs, too!

LOL :LOL:

Id personally LOVE to have say, a crossbar switch based chip in center for 8 or so Cell processors, but, its for now dreams for home entertainment products....

It's obviously not the case, unless there's some wordplay there we're not understanding.

It would basically preclude the PS3 from being online wirelessly while using a bluetooth controller. Does that make any sense at all? No.

So yeah, bluetooth and WiFI at the same time - let's put another stupid rumor to rest before it starts. ;)

Besides, having no rumble in the controller, the PS3 hardly ever needs to transmit anything TO the controllers - just receive. I'm not familiar with the Bluetooth "physical" layer (or is it "ethereal" with wireless stacks?), but I guess you'd need the occasional ack packet and nothing more, plenty of time to squeeze WiFi packets between.

Besides, having no rumble in the controller, the PS3 hardly ever needs to transmit anything TO the controllers - just receive. I'm not familiar with the Bluetooth "physical" layer (or is it "ethereal" with wireless stacks?), but I guess you'd need the occasional ack packet and nothing more, plenty of time to squeeze WiFi packets between.
If you examine the network connection properties of a PC bluetooth mouse, you'll see it pretty much exclusively receives packets from the mouse, ie, no acks at all. I've used BT mice heavily for HOURS in the past without a single packet sent to the mouse. Most of the activity comes when the mouse and PC handshakes, and afterwards only when there's packet loss of some kind I assume.

Besides, I would think that wifi and BT would reside on separate frequency channels, and that no particular coordination between the two takes place, ie, they'll transmit whenever they need to. If you have four controllers sending data randomly to the PS3, you can't time wifi activity around that. I would be immensely surprised if any technical limitation would exist in PS3 that precludes simultaneous wifi/BT, considering the thing has been designed with both included as standard (in the expensive model).

If you examine the network connection properties of a PC bluetooth mouse, you'll see it pretty much exclusively receives packets from the mouse, ie, no acks at all. I've used BT mice heavily for HOURS in the past without a single packet sent to the mouse. Most of the activity comes when the mouse and PC handshakes, and afterwards only when there's packet loss of some kind I assume.

Besides, I would think that wifi and BT would reside on separate frequency channels, and that no particular coordination between the two takes place, ie, they'll transmit whenever they need to. If you have four controllers sending data randomly to the PS3, you can't time wifi activity around that. I would be immensely surprised if any technical limitation would exist in PS3 that precludes simultaneous wifi/BT, considering the thing has been designed with both included as standard (in the expensive model).

Both use frequency hopping to avoid interference from other devices in the 2.4Ghz range i.e. they sub-divide/allocate several channels (specific frequencies) to this spectrum region and use a pseudo-random number generator to determine which channel to switch to next. See this for a really good high-level explanation.

So Bluetooth has 80 channels, Wi-Fi has 11 channels (in the b range) which it can pick from. Chances of interference are small (consider the size of a Bluetooth packet and the timings) until you heavily load the network (even then it is unlikely to persist because of the frequency hopping).

Back