Worldwide Wii Day (Sep 14/15): the official thread *Released Nov 19 for $250 (US)*

here's a typical torontian walk-in computer store for you. pay attention to the $5-$15 SD offers.

maybe, if the system did not have any bult-in memory. given that the sysem has such, though, chances are consumers will not be desperately pressed to grab the first SD card a fat chain-store is trying to sell 'em. no?

I was under the impression there was no internal memory, which means the consumer would be buying it at the same place they bought the console, which is not a torontonian walkin computer store.

Since there is internal memory, the price of SD cards is irrelevant.

Chances are the game store will tell them it's 'needed' or 'preferrable' and sell them an overpriced version that's 'specially suited for Wii where other SD makes might be unreliable' :devilish:

hey, if people were buying everythig sales persons would try to sell them as 'preferrable' then we can throw in the 'preferrable extra warranty' for both consoles, no? ; )

so what do you guys think of the games?

for me they look like nintendo gamecube titles.. i'm really dissapointed by them

I think alot of them seem to be very shallow, like fishing, cooking etc, I'm not sure how much replay value they'll offer. I would hope the prices are much lower than the standard $60. Obviously there's a big market for these types of games with the success of the DS, seems like they're targeting that crowd.

I think alot of them seem to be very shallow, like fishing, cooking etc, I'm not sure how much replay value they'll offer. I would hope the prices are much lower than the standard $60. Obviously there's a big market for these types of games with the success of the DS, seems like they're targeting that crowd.

I agree a lot of them look like GC titles. Mario Galaxy and Wii sports are showing the use of Shaders. They used shaders on almost everything in Mario and they used it on the grass for Wii sports, most notably for Golf and Tennis.

I can't wait to see RE Umbrella Chronicles. The screenshots and video clip look awesome. Hopefully, the character models exceed the quality of the one in REmake on the GC, which were awesome for a current-gen system (mainly due to the use of pre-rendered backgrounds).

Excite Truck and Sonic show that the Wii can showcase greater draw distance. There is some bump mapping if you look carefully in Battallion Wars screens, especially the ones in the Nintendo Magazine.

Red Steel looks like a improvement in the lastest screenshots (more like bullshots). The texture quality has increased and some character models look really good. However, this game could benefit from more polys on characters and soem normal/bump mapping.

I was under the impression there was no internal memory, which means the consumer would be buying it at the same place they bought the console, which is not a torontonian walkin computer store.

not necesserily. the consumer may have actually heard of SD (it's been around for some time), have a clue that it's not a proprietary format, and be actually aware that the store that's trying to sell them some may not the best place to buy such stuff from, or at least show the elementary prudence to check with one or two of the gazillion vendors and producers of this utterly rare product. and all this because, did i mention, wii does not use proprietrary flash cards.

now, as you must have noted, the above may not apply to all consumers, but it makes your original statement not necessarily true.

not necesserily. the consumer may have actually heard of SD (it's been around for some time), have a clue that it's not a proprietary format, and be actually aware that the store that's trying to sell them some may not the best place to buy such stuff from, or at least show the elementary prudence to check with one or two of the gazillion vendors and producers of this utterly rare product. and all this because, did i mention, wii does not use proprietrary flash cards.

now, as you must have noted, the above may not apply to all consumers, but it makes your original statement not necessarily true.

Oh ya, I guess I should have clarified it with 95% of the time :rolleyes:

You sound like the people arguing that having to buy an HDMI cable for PS3 is no big deal, cause you can get one or $10 at monoprice.com. While, in reality, *most* people will end up buying in store and they're gonna run you upwards of $50. Lets get real.

maybe, at least then we could have focused on the percentage fugure, and why pulling those out of rears is a bad practice, generally ; )

You sound like the people arguing that having to buy an HDMI cable for PS3 is no big deal, cause you can get one or $10 at monoprice.com.

how many people would know in advance there was a $10 HDMI cable at monoprice.com?

vs.

how many people would know in advance SD cards were sold left and right, often for cheap?

there's a fine probability threshold to watch out for when making statemens of the kind 'nah, 95% of people couldn't have known better'.

maybe, at least then we could have focused on the percentage fugure, and why pulling those out of rears is a bad practice, generally ; )

how many people would know in advance there was a $10 HDMI cable at monoprice.com?

vs.

how many people would know in advance SD cards were sold left and right, often for cheap?

there's a fine probability threshold to watch out for when making statemens of the kind 'nah, 95% of people couldn't have known better'.

You obviously have a very hard time understanding common sense notions, and are being intentionally obtuse. I don't think anyone cares about this debate, least of all me, since Wii has 512mb of internal storage, so I'll just leave it here.

It did another round of first impressions: Wii Sports and Hajimete no Wii. This will also be added to the big post linked on the first page. So no stress, Vysez.

Wii Sports seems interesting to me because the boxing seems to be every Punch Out fan’s dream. Generally the descriptions are a little bit more detailed. Enjoy…

Wii Sports:

Boxing:
It is game in which you box while holding the nunchaku in the left and the remote controller in the right hand. If you push the Wiimote or the nunchaku forwards, you are able to throw a punch. Holding the Wiimote and nunchaku upright, triggers the guard. If you move the Wiimote and the nunchaku in all directions in the guard stance, you can swing your body and thus avoid the punches of your opponent.
A pic says more than thousand words
wiit12.jpg

Tennis:
Character is moved automatically. Only swing the Wiimote aka the racket is necessary.

Baseball:
Batting is handled by swinging the Wiimote like baseball bat. Pitching is done by gesturing a throwing motion. Defense and Base running is handled automatically.

Bowling:
Placing the Wiimote left or right determines the direction. Throwing the ball is handled with exactly the same motion like in real bowling. While holding the B button the ball is held, move the arm backwards and release the ball when swinging forward by releasing the B button. The speed of the swing determines the speed of the ball. Twisting the ball at the instant of release adds curve to the ball

Golf:
Hold the Wiimote like a golf club. Hold the Wiimote downward, swing while holding the A button and hit the ball. The different clubs and the swinging speed determines the distance of the ball. If you swing without pressing the A button, a guide appears. For putting it is necessary to swing the Wiimote lightly. It’s probably the most difficult title out of the Wii Sports games.

Hajimete no Wii:
7 games aimed at those who are using a console for the first time. Getting people used to swinging, pointing and pushing

Pointing Ping Pong:
Swing the racket aka Wiimote. That’s it

Fishing:
Fish with the Wiimote

Shooting:
Point at the aims and shoot. If you hit the face of a Mii, points are deducted.

Billard:
Choosing the Wiimote as queue, the ball is beaten by moving the remote forward. The Speed determines the power, the trail of the ball is governed by the pointer.

Search that Mii
From a group of Mii characters, the player needs to point out the only Mii that fits the description. The player earns points for finding one of many Miis within a time limit.

Pose Mii:
A pose is specified within a circle on the screen. Because the pose of the Mii can be change by pressing the A button, the completely same pose as shown has to be assumed. After the pose is the same, the Mii has to be move with the pointer until it fits in the circle.

Hockey:
Just like airhockey. Hit the puck and it bounces back. Try to push it into the opponent’s goal

Source:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060914/wiit.htm

So wait, the stick addon has motion sensing of some sort too? I'm assuming it's a lot more limited than the wiimote, but that's still hardcore awesome.

Has anyone asked if Wii will be compatible with new, high-capacity SD 2.0, (SDHC), cards? This might not seem like a big idea now, because they are just being released, but over the course of the Wii's lifetime they are likely to become the standard, and if it doesn't support them that could create some big headaches for people.

So wait, the stick addon has motion sensing of some sort too?
Oh yes. This has actually been known for a very long time.

I'm assuming it's a lot more limited than the wiimote, but that's still hardcore awesome.
Wii.com states the capabilities are the same. I read somewhere else from some more technical source that the nunchuck attachment are somewhat less precise, but still with the same 6-degree DOF. It'll be the stick that does the fine adjustments and pointing though, since it is the one that has the IR window...

Well I will pass it for some time, as it is (very) overpriced, I am not yet conviced by the remote, the innovative games seems to be to simple (eg WiiSports) or the implementation seems (somewhat) weak (eg RS), there is almost no online for now, there is a lack of (the kind of) games that I like (ie action/tatical/strategy ones, like Halo/GR/R6/Black/HL/...) and the specs departement also seems to be weak.

Dont take me wrong I still think it does have great potential, but they will need time to unleash it.

When the price of this thing go down (agood amount) with games (+ online) that fully use the controler I will probably be a happy owner of a Wii, if it is cheaper I may have bet on it right way, but not at this price (HW/SW).

BTW RE:UC seems very good, I hope they can do a game that keep the qualitity of RE4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, N confirmed what we expected when they announced the price, that the Wii is going to be profitable from launch-onward.

I'd say that also lends support to the idea that the Wii really isn't anything more than a turbo-charged gamecube. Which also means, it's likely (as is discussed in the Console Tech thread) that second and third generation Wii games aren't going to show as much improvement (visually) as we are used to seeing because the architecture is the same from the GC, so the learning curve that normally results in better performance, doesn't exist.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...INESSPRO-NINTENDO-MARKET-DC.XML&from=business

and here

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...INTENDO-PROFIT-INTERVIEW-DC.XML&from=business

We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box -- hardware and software," Reggie Fils-Aime told Reuters in an interview.

Well, N confirmed what we expected when they announced the price, that the Wii is going to be profitable from launch-onward.

I'd say that also lends support to the idea that the Wii really isn't anything more than a turbo-charged gamecube. Which also means, it's likely (as is discussed in the Console Tech thread) that second and third generation Wii games aren't going to show as much improvement (visually) as we are used to seeing because the architecture is the same from the GC, so the learning curve that normally results in better performance, doesn't exist.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...INESSPRO-NINTENDO-MARKET-DC.XML&from=business

and here

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...INTENDO-PROFIT-INTERVIEW-DC.XML&from=business

GIven the fact that nobody has really maxed out the GC, and that nobody knows yet WHAT exactly the Wii is made out off, I'd say you're jumping way ahead of yourself.

I'd wait untill somebody pries open a Wii, tests it, and then do all sorts of 3DMark-esq type graphics tests with it. It WAY too early to tell if the Wii doesn't have the room for improvement, seeing as how some games look much better in the announcement's build compared to E3.

Which also means, it's likely (as is discussed in the Console Tech thread) that second and third generation Wii games aren't going to show as much improvement (visually) as we are used to seeing because the architecture is the same from the GC, so the learning curve that normally results in better performance, doesn't exist.

Wrong, because as I noted before, most GC developers wrote cross-platform software, aka "mediocre PS2 games." The best cross-platform games were still graphically inferior to Cube launch titles (Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader). Given the fact that most developers are starting from a sub-first-generation level, we should see massive improvement over time as developers gradually learn how to take advantage of the technology available. Perhaps our friends in Japan will learn what "bump mapping" is, or even go so far as to realize that a scrolling, animated texture doesn't really look like water at all.

I am disapointed at 250 dollars if it was sports pack and 2 controllers then I would have 0 complaints about price. The boxing game could be pretty damn cool I would like to see a new super duper punchout with that kind of control. I hope they can get a lot of systems out by christmass my neice is already bugging me about one for christmass.

You sound like the people arguing that having to buy an HDMI cable for PS3 is no big deal, cause you can get one or $10 at monoprice.com. While, in reality, *most* people will end up buying in store and they're gonna run you upwards of $50. Lets get real.

untitledjk5.jpg

And that's before the PS3 is released. I can easily see the price coming down within the first 6 months to something like $20.

Back