Worldwide Wii Day (Sep 14/15): the official thread *Released Nov 19 for $250 (US)*

The price seems too high considering the fact that Nintendo claimed they would make a small loss on the Wii at first. It would seem that the controller (Remote and Nunchuck) only costs around $40 or less to make and I'd be very suprised if the console itself (as we know it from current speculation) costs even close to $100. Wii Sports is surely a cheap game as well, obviously there's tax and perhaps a very small margin for retailers. But even then the price seems way to high to be anything but totally profitable from the off for Nintendo.

Of course the current speculation (overclocked Flipper/Gekko with more ram) on Wii's hardware may be untrue (hopefully, total madness if its not), so I'll reserve judgement for a little while.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT:
They (posts above) say that Wii has the advantage of surfing the net due to its controller (acts not unlike a mouse). Question: Whats going to act as the keyboard? A peripheral, or some on-screen keyboard where you have to point on the letter to type it??

First of all, you don't see it in the opera video. The browser is called "full" Opera browser in the video and it supports flash and AJAX. It will be available at the end of June 2007 as a free download.
Via Wii you can send instant messages to other Wii user. You can write memos. Send message with pictures from the picture channel

It's at least $50 overpriced.
Though the price is high, it's okay from a business POV for launch. Nintendo are likely to sell all their first shipment(s) even at over-the-top prices. The super-mainstream price can wait until after all the early adopters have been milked. It would be business stupidity that'd price the console less than the most they can sell it for.

It's at least $50 overpriced.

can't sure whether it's really overpriced. No boby knows exactly what components are using. Of course the build cost is just an estimation. However, if u compare desktop to notebook. U will see notebooks use lower end cpu/display card with same price level. I can't say it's overpriced but it's just two different markets. I guess if u view it like this will make u more comfortable.
At the end, only the games matters, not the hardware.

Though the price is high, it's okay from a business POV for launch. Nintendo are likely to sell all their first shipment(s) even at over-the-top prices. The super-mainstream price can wait until after all the early adopters have been milked. It would be business stupidity that'd price the console less than the most they can sell it for.

I agree, I mean it is all about the $$$$.Early adopters buy at almost any price. That's why I wasn't surprised the PS3 is launch 80/20 premium vs core. I just think early next year the 360 core will cost as much as Wii so I feel it is overpriced for what you get.

Bigger game screens of nearly all games can be found here:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060914/wiiscr.htm

Oh yeah!

wiiscr42.jpg

interesting tidbits

interesting tidbits said:
249.99 USD one colour

Plans to ship 4 million Wii consoles between launch and December 31. Americas will receive the largest share of stock.

"In all, approximately 30 Wii games will be available at retail during the launch window. And about half of those will be available at launch," Reggie says. Games will be priced at $49.99.

Back to channels. You can download the Opera Web browser using Wii points. So you'll need to buy it. Then you can surf the Net. {Famitsu says Opera will be a free download; so maybe Japan is different}

A: Wii remote is $39.99 and the nunchuck attachment is $19.99.

Zelda GameCube launches on December 11.

Q: What's the cost of accessing the Internet?

A: No cost through our system. You need an Internet connection at your home. Wii is Wi-Fi enabled.

Q: First-party games will be $49.99. Will third parties price at $59.99?

A: We encourage third parties to price appropriately.

Q: Metroid Prime 3?

A: 2007 game.

Q: When we can we expect to play games online for Wii and what kind of interface?

A: What's been announced in Japan is that the first online multiplayer game is going to be Pokemon Battle that will be launching during their launch window in Japan. When can you expect that here in the US? Shortly thereafter.

Personally i think that the console is $50 overpriced. They are just pulling themselves at $50 less than the 360 core pack, and i dont see microsoft having any difficulties reducing $50 from their core pricetag just to make some competition with the wii coming christmas.

This console battle is really going to be interesting from all fronts.

They are just pulling themselves at $50 less than the 360 core pack, and i dont see microsoft having any difficulties reducing $50 from their core pricetag just to make some competition with the wii coming christmas.

Exactly, it seams like the other companies are just trying to give MS the biggest head start ever. Conspiracy I say, or not. ;)

I don't know, I think the Wii will do just fine at $250, especially considering it has a game included in that price.

I don't see the core 360 as direct competition to the Wii in all honesty; if you want a Wii, then a slightly more expensive, more powerful system, isn't going to satisfy your desire for the Wii experience.

I don't see the core 360 as direct competition to the Wii in all honesty; if you want a Wii, then a slightly more expensive, more powerful system, isn't going to satisfy your desire for the Wii experience.

Sure. But that works both ways. ;)

Back