Worldwide Wii Day (Sep 14/15): the official thread *Released Nov 19 for $250 (US)*

Here's a question: why does everyone consistently expect such low-prices upon introduction of new hardware (even if it isn't impressive or sophisticated)? I recall reading speculation of $300 Xbox 360s with hard disks built-in, $400 PS3s with Blu-Ray and more HDMI ports than you can shake a stick at, and the Revolution/Wii selling for practically the same price as handheld systems. It just seems like people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

well, i'm sure it's not everbody, but a good question nevertheless.

i, for one, find that speculated $229 pricetag a steal if it had: a complete wiimote+numchaku set, and a showcase title that really demonstrated the new control scheme.

a good game alone is worth $30, and the hw is worth $200 to me. but yes, i know what would make pc999 happy ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
From www.Joystiq.com

12:13 p.m. EST: A little less than an hour to go, supposedly. Keep it here...

12:22 a.m. EST: The fireworks start early... the Seattle Post Intelligencer has posted a story from the New York Times' Seth Schiesel saying the Wii will launch in North and South America for $250 on Nov. 19. The story also reports 25 - 30 Wii games will be available this year, that Wii Sports will be a pack-in title and that virtual console games will cost $5 - $10. We haven't confirmed this info. yet, but this seems to be from a relatively reliable source. Stay tuned...

We'll know for sure soon. Unfortunately one's streaming link is not working atm...
EDIT: It started working again.

BTW, first picture.

photo-20060914-042741-0-bdc4927965d35fea70f32b025cda5231.jpg

and i get 'forbidden' on the first and 'coming soon' on the second of one's links. damn.

It hasn't officially started yet. 5 min I think. BTW, don't expect too much from me. My listening skills are generally bad, regardless of the language and my spoken Japanese is exceptionally bad.

EDIT: There's a new official Wii site: http://wii.com/

BTW, don't expect too much from me. My listening skills are generally bad, regardless of the language and my spoken Japanese is exceptionally bad.

don't worry one bit as you'll be helping out people from the same club - i would have difficulties relaying from my mother tongue (plus my spoken, and written for that matter, japanese are not-existent : )

That's pretty tempting.

NOW SHOW ME A GAME

Nintendo, show me a game that gets me really pumped and I'll hand off my PS3 pre-order and save HUNDREDS. Please, Nintendo I could use the money.

Zelda maybe coulda done it....But I can get it on Gamecube.

CMon, Tendo. Come n get me.

That's pretty tempting.
NOW SHOW ME A GAME
Nintendo, show me a game that gets me really pumped and I'll hand off my PS3 pre-order and save HUNDREDS. Please, Nintendo I could use the money.
Zelda maybe coulda done it....But I can get it on Gamecube.
CMon, Tendo. Come n get me.
Wii sports?

Has built in memory card right? Sounds good. It would be a Wiinner if games are at $40. Publishers need to grow some balls and hit mainstream prices.

It has started. the 1st web-cast is still not working, the 2nd is still coming soon.

thumb-20060914-051259-0-a96537d60e191f99d0b963e5c5baf93b.jpg

Iwata talks about the current videogame market and how the DS changed the Japanese gaming market.

photo-20060914-051612-0-6c400784d3c638863be075d9e56f3ada.jpg

This one is short one:

Virtual Console prices:

NES: 500 Yen
SNES: 800 Yen
N64:1000 Yen (about 8.5 $)

Payable via credit card or Nintendo prepaid card.

EDIT:
By the end of the year 30 Nintendo titles, 60 Sega Megadrive+PC Engine titles.
Every month about 10 new titles will be released.

photo-20060914-053238-0-52b352bd667fc0f2e6a1115b8b0c028b.jpg

EDIT2: Famitsu's servers are getting hammered :runaway:

EDIT3: Just had a look at the picture :LOL:

The article was taken off. False?

Probably removed because they broke an embargo. Anyway, MSRP before launch for N64 and NGC was $250 too, and both launched for $200 instead. Not saying Wii will follow the same pattern, but the price is not set up in stone.

Wii Sports bundled is an excellent idea, let's hope it comes with 2 controllers too. 2 controllers + Wii Sports would make it a pretty good deal considering it doesn't need a memory card.

Wii:

Japan release date: Dec 2nd
price: 25000 Yen (currently 212 USD) incl. tax

photo-20060914-055310-0-88d7e49b37dcb5a7edf23df6783db336.jpg

NEWS: New York Times articles has also been pulled off!

Probably removed because they broke an embargo.
...or they could've been just speculating the price point all along?

Fast edit: Wii will be 250,00 yen ($215.51) in Japan, tax included.

Back