Worldwide Wii Day (Sep 14/15): the official thread *Released Nov 19 for $250 (US)*

darkblu

Veteran
i know it's kinda early, but it's not that early. we've had enough of wii release info deprivation, dammit! .. *pauses to relax* anyway, in two days from now we'll know when and for how much we'll be able to get in line for that baby. gosh, i have not been so much excited about a console launch since the psp NA launch (the psp being my handheld dream machine and all). the wii will be my second launch-day console ever, and i don't have a single bit of hesitation about it. i want it! (tm)

so, while we're still in the final hours of the dark (and to justify the premature creation of this thread), what are your personal expectations from the upcoming nintendo event? what extras do you expect to learn from it?

for me, details on wiiconnect24, wiimote peripherals and the likes are _highly_ desireable. details on MP3 release terms come next, and red steel and mario galaxies release-day availaility confirmation would be appreciated too.

Edit: Price discussion starts here

Translation of the announced games by hupfinsgack

Screenshots of the games

I expect to know the price of console/games/VC/..., details on online (althought if true that it will miss launch, they may not appear so soon), specially lots of new games (both inovative and finally know what kind of crossplatform games are possible rumors are kiling me) and I think that periphericals also have very good chances of appear in the show.

But I most confess that I have my doubts if most of the games we will see arent just new versions of E3 ones, personally I would be really happy if we see properly done Tennis/ping pong games with full online along with more imaginative ones.

peripherals:

I expect to see a head-set (DS HS goes on sale on Sept 14th), the zapper shell and a racing wheel shell (Ubisoft and Thrustmaster already presented one for their launch racers)
Some word on the USB ports, will we get an external HDD

WiiConnect24:

details, details, details
what about the friends code system, will it be made easier and more accessible, will it be unified
which titles are the first to support it
Opera-browser: Will the browser run at higher resolution than 480p? What features does it have?

VC:

what games will be there at launch?
is it an abo-system or pay per download? How much is it?

Wii-Software:

loads of first impressions, hopefully some confirmed release dates

Last but not least, when will the thing launch and how much does it cost!

btw, is it just me or are nintendo really about to show to sony how consumer-grade firmware updating should be done? this in relation to sony's 'come on, update already!' approach on the psp : )

of course, we can forget about homebrew 'against the big brother's will', but what the heck, the wii is meant to unadulteratedly entertain me. i can statisfy my ninty hacking cravings on the cube, anyway.

Things I'd like to know or am looking forwarding to in the next couple of days

• Price + Date
  • Bundle details
  • Launch quantities - Preorder info
  • WiiConnect24 details - Price, structure etc.
  • Launch titles - Red Steel, Zelda, Wii Sports etc.
  • Wiimote functionality details
  • Virtual Console details - Pricing, titles available etc.
  • DVD Playback confirmation

I'd like to hear some more about the connection options and related technicalities. Basically what I'd really want is a VGA output, the second best thing would obviously be progressive scan YUV. Just no more interlaced shit please.

And I want to know what's going to happen with the Gamecube backwards compatibility, as far as decisions have been made there, in terms of graphics and, again, output formats.

Even though I still have lots of Gamecube stuff I should be playing sometime, I'm pawning off my Gamecube on Ebay one of these days. Some confirmation either way would be very nice.

I'm assuming this starts in Japan first? If so, should we be getting news on the East Coast by tomorrow night?

• DVD Playback confirmation
Yes. This one I also am very interested in hearing about. Frankly, if Wii does not play movies I will become disappointed. Not because I'd actually USE it for such purposes, but because I have to return my 360 for warranty repair due to the goddamn tray often sticking when trying to retract it, and unless Wii can't play movies then I'll be without my primary method of enjoying my by now fairly extensive DVD library.

Also, release date and PRICE is very important.

It seems to me there might be some tendencies from Nintendo to not want to price this thing sensibly, and instead settling fairly close to the 360 core's price if rumors are to be trusted. This would be a mistake I think, but outright profiteering usually is. If the Wii costs more than expected then I guess it's because of:

* Severe PS3 shortages
* Percieved 'next-gen-ness'; ie, more expensive = more powerful and exclusive

Wii's already got the looks. Slickest piece of home entertainment electronics since the new iMac flatscreen models. Maybe Nintendo feels people will take Wii more seriously with a higher price.

I'm pessimistic and expect to hear that only Japan is getting this for this Christmas, other's have to wait until next year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Havent they said everyone will get it before the end of the year (or atleast the main territories)?
I actually expect a launch before the ps3, early november maybe. and a price no lower than 200.

Havent they said everyone will get it before the end of the year (or atleast the main territories)?
I actually expect a launch before the ps3, early november maybe. and a price no lower than 200.

From NoA
IGN said:
Directly from the Nintendo job posting:

* "It's an exciting time to be a part of Nintendo's team! Millions of eager fans are eagerly anticipating the launch of our revolutionary new console, Wii. As a Production Agent Trainee, you'll be on the front-lines--working tirelessly to ensure they don't leave stores empty handed this holiday season.
In the meantime, the latest allegations - combined with Nintendo's own job posting - seem to back up reports from studios that the console is finished and that the Big N could spring an early launch on consumers if and when it reveals Wii's price and release date later this week.

The Wii is probably a lot farther along concerning production than the PS3. It will ship in all 3 regions, I believe, and it will probably arrive before the PS3.

does anybody know what time is the jap even scheduled for?

hupfinsgack & one - your help would be greatly appreciated, so stay put, please ; )

does anybody know what time is the jap even scheduled for?

hupfinsgack & one - your help would be greatly appreciated, so stay put, please ; )

From GAF......

Japan Event first:
8:00PM (Wednesday) - 2:00AM (Thursday) EDT
5:00PM (Wednesday) - 11:00PM (Wednesday) PDT
1:00AM (Thursday) - 7:00AM (Thursday) GMT/UTC
2:00AM (Thursday) - 8:00AM (Thursday) BST
10:00AM (Thursday) - 4:00PM (Thursday) Japan Time

:p Can't wait!

If it starts at 8PM EDT then I hope they get to the good stuff early. I don't want to stay up late waiting on pricing/launch details.

So the Japanese event is only a few hours away now?! I wasn't expecting that, damn, I'm at work early tomorrow.

The latest rumor from a IGN poster who supposedly has good connections is $229 plus Wii sports packed in.

Pretty underwhelming if you ask me. Something like 149 would have blown the doors off. But I'm sure all that motion sensor technology isn't cheap. And I'm also sure Nintendo wants to continue making a fat profit off of hardware sales.
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by a moderator:
Back