Sony Blu-ray Drive for PC's released in Australia

I hope everyone's been saving there pennies. :???:

Australian RRP=$1399 incl GST ouch :devilish:

Sony's Page

I don't think I'll be in a hurry to get one of these. It's hard to imagine that one day they'll probably sell for around $50. :p

Well it's around $750 in the US, and that's pretty cheap since the other available drives are more expensive and don't even read/write 50GB BD-R/RE....

Buying a Blu-Ray drive before the release of the PS3 is rather insane to me, or just proves you have far to much cash to wait. Once such huge production goes in then prices will fall like a rock.

Buying a Blu-Ray drive before the release of the PS3 is rather insane to me, or just proves you have far to much cash to wait. Once such huge production goes in then prices will fall like a rock.

It's a burner in a PC, with applications far removed from simply watching Blueray movies on your PS3.

LG's Bluray drive costs here around 550 Euros. :p
- at once we aren't screwed (that much) in prices. ;)

It's not the sticker price of the drive that is a problem for me. It's the cost of the media. ~$30 USD for 25GB BD-RW or $24 USD for BD-R.

Just for the purposes of backup or storing lots of big files, they can't compete with cheap Hard Disk drives untill they get a LOT cheaper

And since the write speed of the drive is 2x, it's far slower than even external USB HD drives.

It's a burner in a PC, with applications far removed from simply watching Blueray movies on your PS3.

You missed the point entirely.

The more you produce of a product the lower your costs, therefore the cheaper the product is for someone to buy. The real reason why Blu Ray is so expensive is because there really is no market for it yet. But when a big time unit pusher such as the PS3 starts the adaption of Blu Ray to take up all products associated with it will become cheaper.

Therefore, investing in a Blu Ray product right now is just causing you to spend more when the price should see a significant price reduction in the near future

It's not the sticker price of the drive that is a problem for me. It's the cost of the media. ~$30 USD for 25GB BD-RW or $24 USD for BD-R.

Just for the purposes of backup or storing lots of big files, they can't compete with cheap Hard Disk drives untill they get a LOT cheaper

And since the write speed of the drive is 2x, it's far slower than even external USB HD drives.

It's not too different than what writable CDs and DVDs were in their infancy... Besides there's plenty of situations where HDD's suck for backup, not to mention I feel much better mailing a plastic disc than an HDD...

It's not too different than what writable CDs and DVDs were in their infancy... Besides there's plenty of situations where HDD's suck for backup, not to mention I feel much better mailing a plastic disc than an HDD...

exactly.

Also, HDD's aren't really secure backup media. It's circuitry is fragile for electric shocks, without mentioning magnetation of platters. Besides, if you need switchable 25GB (for weekly/m onthly backups for example), smallest HDD you can go with is 40GB HDD, but those cost about 2.5 times of the price of 25GB BD-R media here. (17 Euros for BD-R, 45-50 Euros for 40GB HDD.)

You missed the point entirely.

The more you produce of a product the lower your costs, therefore the cheaper the product is for someone to buy. The real reason why Blu Ray is so expensive is because there really is no market for it yet. But when a big time unit pusher such as the PS3 starts the adaption of Blu Ray to take up all products associated with it will become cheaper.

Therefore, investing in a Blu Ray product right now is just causing you to spend more when the price should see a significant price reduction in the near future

ah yes I did miss your point entirely :) And it is very true.

exactly.

Also, HDD's aren't really secure backup media. It's circuitry is fragile for electric shocks, without mentioning magnetation of platters. Besides, if you need switchable 25GB (for weekly/m onthly backups for example), smallest HDD you can go with is 40GB HDD, but those cost about 2.5 times of the price of 25GB BD-R media here. (17 Euros for BD-R, 45-50 Euros for 40GB HDD.)
ahh and the cost of a BD-R player is 750$us.... I us HDD all the time for back up. WAY easier. Yeah they are fragile i guess, i could drop the cage...But it cant be beat for back up at this time. Now for Archive, thats a different story.A 50g disc will be great.

Back