Any word on BenQ's new FP241W monitor

FP241W-left2image.jpg

It's supposedly released this month with a next generation AU Optronics panel and HDMI support amongst other goodies. Looks interesting. Google isn't turning up anything substantial yet, I was wondering if any of you who run/contribute to review sites have got hold of one yet?

I have an FP202W that I recently purchased, damn it!

Though if this is better, I might go dual screen. =)

Initial impressions are BenQ have a winner.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=8150&head=0

Verdict

I’ve looked at a few BenQ monitors over the years, but the FP241W completely rewrites the script. Not only does it have the widest array of inputs that I’ve ever seen in a desktop monitor, but the image quality is equally impressive, while the price is truly incredible. Even the design and build quality of this screen are both first rate. When you throw the HDCP compliant HDMI port into the equation, BenQ really does have every single base covered with this screen. Put simply, if you’re after a 24in widescreen monitor, this is the one to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a very impressive display with a great price to match. I've been thinking about picking up some gifts for my computer this coming Xmas, and I've been looking thinking either new graphics card and 20" display, or just pure 24" display. I'd certainly go with 24" if it wasnt that my 6800GS isnt exactly packing enough punch for anything but old games at that resolution.

I was disappointed that this first review didn't mention interpolation for different game resolutions at all. It's all very well having a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 but there's a heck of a lot of games that won't give you anywhere near acceptable performance at that kind of res, especially if you turn on any eye-candy or AA. I want to know if that monitor is going to look any good running at 1280x1024 with every bit of eye-candy enabled, or if it's going to look like a stretched, blurry mess.

The rest of the monitor seems to be great, but IMO without that interpolation issue being answered, there's a great big question mark hanging over it with regards to gaming.

Actually, does anyone know what happens when you game at a 4:3 res on a widescreen monitor? Do you get black bars down the side like when watching 4:3 broadcasts on a widescreen TV?

The dirvers should allow you to centre or stretch the image.
I ahve found that the more pixels available the less the effect of interpolation on less than native resolutions. Of course your mileage may vary.

Trusted Reviews are a great site but not the first to go to when looking for LCD reviews IMO.

I was disappointed that this first review didn't mention interpolation for different game resolutions at all. It's all very well having a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 but there's a heck of a lot of games that won't give you anywhere near acceptable performance at that kind of res, especially if you turn on any eye-candy or AA. I want to know if that monitor is going to look any good running at 1280x1024 with every bit of eye-candy enabled, or if it's going to look like a stretched, blurry mess.

The rest of the monitor seems to be great, but IMO without that interpolation issue being answered, there's a great big question mark hanging over it with regards to gaming.

Actually, does anyone know what happens when you game at a 4:3 res on a widescreen monitor? Do you get black bars down the side like when watching 4:3 broadcasts on a widescreen TV?

I've found a little more information here.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6302

Unfortunate.

***********************************************************************************

TFT Central has a synopsis of all the currently available review material.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/benq_fp241w.htm

That is the case with all LCDs, you won't find one that magically works like a CRT. Like Tahir said though, the more pixels the LCD has the better the image looks at resolutions other than native, though very low resolutions such as 1024x768 or lower still look bad.

Anyone gotten their hands on one of these and tried it with 1080p and 720p from a PS3 or X360 elite through the HDMI port.

Heard the new firmwares did 1:1, but would like to know if they manage to stretch 720p to the whole width without messing with the aspect ratio.

Anyone gotten their hands on one of these and tried it with 1080p and 720p from a PS3 or X360 elite through the HDMI port.

Heard the new firmwares did 1:1, but would like to know if they manage to stretch 720p to the whole width without messing with the aspect ratio.

If you dare, you should go to the HardOCP Forums and find the huge thread there about this monitor. It is insanely long, though, but it holds pictures and huge amounts of feedback.

The BenQ maintains aspect ratio when stretching 720p content, you just have to put it into aspect mode.

Nice so this monitor (FP241W) supports fixed aspect scaling and fixed resolution no scaling (centered timings) on the monitor itself?

That was the main reason I've been holding onto my relatively old Dell 2405 these past few years. As even the new Dell 2407's don't support this from what I hear, and I like being able to control these on the monitor level versus the video card driver level.

Same reason I'd be avoiding most Benq monitors in the past as most reviews have indicted the 24 inch monitors of theirs haven't had the scaling options built into the monitor itself.

Also the same reason I've been avoiding the Dell 27" monitor, even though it's mighty attractive to these old eyes.

Regards,
SB

Very nice to hear. Looks like I'll be in the market for a new 24" LCD this fall unless new 27" monitors come out supporting scaling in hardware.

Regards,
SB

Trusted Reviews are a great site but not the first to go to when looking for LCD reviews IMO.

Could someone tell me who is the first site (and maybe the second and third) you would look at when choosing an LCD? I'm looking for one at the moment.

I don't think there's any one good resource for finding info on LCD monitors, the closest would probably be the hardocp forums display section, you can find all the info you're looking for there but it might be difficult to dig through it all.

Back