A Scanner Darkly

sytaylor

Newcomer
Anyone see this movie?

Saw it last week, really quite enjoyed it. Very well put together, and a great story, although not quite what I expected. I was hoping for some sort of future cops, shoot outs and crazy conspiricies. I kinda got that, but much more focus on the human side than any action. Still the door is open to do something cool with this kind of technology.

It's one of my favourite books so I am very apprehensive about seeing the film. However the casting seems good (Barris/Donna/Luckman especially, and Reeves should be great at playing someone who is dead inside) and the animation looks superb.

I will definitely check it out, though not at the local Odeon who have decided for some reason that it is not worthy of our chavhood. :mad:

Edit - I would strongly urge anybody to read the book before seeing the film!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that problem too. Really is quite annoying. Odeon have obviously deemed Kingston not worthy of the film either, means I'll have to trapse into Covent Garden to see it. Still, less chavs there so might be worth it.

All the bad reviews tend to cite the fact that you can't really tell what's going on and it feels like you're on drugs, which is exactly what reading the book feels like at times. Sounds good. :)

Yeah, if anything thats why I was kinda frustrated with parts of the film, it left me confused, the film was moving but my understanding of it wasn't. Then as the perspective changes towards the very end of the film I got an "ahh" and really felt the main emotion. Excellently done.

An undercover drugs cop in the near future and how he gets embroiled in living two lives, especially when he has never seen the faces of anyone he works with. His world becomes more confusing by the day and its his fight to make sense of it all.

I used to like her too, she had a non-Hollywood Hollywood look and was a rather good actress but then she went off on one...
Going to have to watch this movie.. my mate has been going on about this book for years.

Back