Bad_Boy

god of war.
Veteran
The official jap website is up:
http://www.em-game.net/

and two tiny screens:
h-104_59460_e01.jpg.jpg

h-104_59460_e02.jpg.jpg

Not really interested in the game myself, but I suppose one of you guys might be.
How was the 360 version for the ones who played it?

I love what Penny Arcade said about the game.
Like Chromehounds - another From Software game released to critical yawns - Enchanted Arms reviews haven't really communicated the game. I'm playing it over Gabe's shoulder, so I'm not the person to do it either. Were I you, I might keep my eyes focused on the area directly beneath this post.

It's actually sort of funny: I turned down advertising for the game, as reactions to the import I'd read generated no faith in the title. Now, every night when I go to bed I see that both Gabe and Robert are both ass deep in the Goddamn thing. Robert is one of these completionist, Emerald Weapon-type motherfuckers so he'll be under the hood for another week at least. I was surprised to hear Gabe praising it with such force - he even brought in his hard disc yesterday, with the idea of chipping away at it. Dedication.

I'm not going to tell you that it's the best RPG on any platform, it's not. But if you actually like RPG conventions, it's better than you've been lead to believe. There are outliers, to be sure, but Japanese role-playing games tend to be fairly linear in terms of narrative and feature a ton of strategic combat. These are genre staples. If you don't like those things, or if you wish they were something else, that isn't really the genre's fault. If you told me that you weren't fond of turf or kicking, I would hope that you'd have the wisdom to avoid soccer. We're really at that level. If you want to swing a chain with a sword on it or pull off a dragon head, they make those games too.

And the whiny gamer comic.

20060906aj3.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/09/06

Short and sweet review: if you like turn based jrpg's then you'll like EA.

It doesn't blow you away but it is certainly a quality title. I was pleasantly surprised.:cool:

The game is actually fun to play. The story isn't going to blow people away but it isn't bad . At worst it is average, I'm only 15% through though. It’s great for people who have never played an RPG before because it's made with beginners in mind but still good enough for people who are experienced JRPG gamers. The "save at anywhere" system is excellent for people who don't have time to play for long sittings and the battle system seems solid to me. This is a good game and people who like RPG's should give it a try.

I expect the PS3 version to have more CG cut scenes in it because of the extra space on disc. The Xbox 360 version could have also had more CG cut scenes if people didn't make such a big deal about the game fitting on multiple discs. It's not like people haven't played multidisc RPGs before. It should also have better graphics because it had more time to cook and wasn't rushed for release like the Japanese Xbox 360 version. That doesn't mean it isn't a good game just not Final Fantasy caliber or Oblivion like some people want it to be. From my understanding we aren't going to be getting FF this year anyway and I don't recall the PS2 getting any extraordinary RPGs in its first year either.

Pretty Decent game IMO,

Only thing is to turn off the english voice work on this game. They were terrible. Other then that a pretty solid title for a JRPG.

I'm debating whether to give this game a shot. I've been a huge JRPG fan for a long time. . . however, I don't think there's any room for "just average" JRPGs anymore. The Final Fantasy series set the bar for overall production values/visuals, Xenogears/Xenosaga set the bar for storytelling, Star Ocean, FF X-2, and Valkyrie Profile (EDIT: and of course Grandia!) created some truly compelling battle systems, and so on. Is there really any need for a "JRPG with a decent (but not great) story, OK graphics, and a pretty cool battle system"?

It's the same way with action games now. Now that we have Devil May Cry, God of War, and Ratchet & Clank, there is no longer room for a "pretty good" action game. 5 years ago, that PS2 Castlevania game would've been great. However, when it came out, people barely noticed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a point, but an 8/10 JRPG on an MS system is something to ponder. If you don't own a PS2 and you do own an X360 then Enchanted Arms looks like a good idea. I don't have a PS2 yet (although Kingdom Hearts is calling my name), so I might give EA a go.

You have a point, but an 8/10 JRPG on an MS system is something to ponder. If you don't own a PS2 and you do own an X360 then Enchanted Arms looks like a good idea. I don't have a PS2 yet (although Kingdom Hearts is calling my name), so I might give EA a go.

IMO having played the first 20 or so hours Enchanted arm is a good JPG.
It doesn't get too tied up in the story early on, but you still feel like your a part of it, you can skip the text and I like the battle system, and the charatcer growth system. And the difficulty leve has pretty steadilly ramped up.

They've gotten rid of all the HP and MP mangement between battles which actually works, because they provide other money sinks.

It is what it is, just like all the recent Final Fantasy's it's totally linear.

FWIW I'm enjoying it more than Kindom Hearts 2.

The story is just brutal, like why did they have to make the main character an absolute moron? I just started yesterday, have like 50minutes into so I'm hopinh it gets alot better after I get my first golem.

ERP: My game, much of the dialogue's don't have voice overs. It seems almost random, like even the main characters don't always have voice overs when they're conversing. Is this a glitch on my disc? Or is this how it is for you too?? It seems to me that all text should have voice overs, especially since their lips are moving, so I'm thinking I got a bad disc or something (it was pre-owned).

I read in another forum that the Japanese track has more voice overs than the English one. :?: Haven't tried this yet as my game still hasn't gotten to me in the mail. :???:

The story is just brutal, like why did they have to make the main character an absolute moron?

Well, that's almost a hallmark of Japanese RPGs or Manga. Often the hero is rather simple-minded but straight-forward. Plus, there's usually an know-it all in the party. I suppose, it's not to intimidate the average Joe or to have the details explained to player via proxy.

Back