Kutaragi on delay and on sony

There's alot of debate about wheather blu ray capacity is neccessary (oh god, I'm so sorry, I promise I will not reply to any conversation taht may begin on that point in this thread) , but I think it's likely that withing Square, there is no debate. FF13 is filling up a blu ray disc and it's not going back to DVD. Nor is 14. Nor will 15.

There was this game I had back in the ps1 days ... I can't remember the name of it but it came on like ... more than one disc and it had all these anime looking characters and lots of fmv and subtitles but they could probably just do something along the lines of that one. ;)

spd - so you base this argument on the fact that 360 isn't doing well in japan and ff only sells in japan so it would be useless. Agreed - it makes no sense to bring ff to 360. Matter of fact, why do they bring it to the states? Or Eu for that matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Checf that's a totalyl valid solution but doesn't quite cover the entirety of my argument. Specifically a part of my argument taht I didn't really cover in my post. :p

I'm just implying that they've had a certain way of doing things. And chopping an existing game into multiple discs is not that way.

Although things do change... Look at the way the FF13 universe is being handled. Is "Versus" considered part of the main series? Kind of a gray area, isn't it? "Agito" is for mobile devices. Another sister game specifically for 360 would be the most likely option if they wanted to take advantage of the sales potential in the 360 userbase.

Checf that's a totalyl valid solution but doesn't quite cover the entirety of my argument. Specifically a part of my argument taht I didn't really cover in my post. :p

I'm just implying that they've had a certain way of doing things. And chopping an existing game into multiple discs is not that way.

Although things do change... Look at the way the FF13 universe is being handled. Is "Versus" considered part of the main series? Kind of a gray area, isn't it? "Agito" is for mobile devices. Another sister game specifically for 360 would be the most likely option if they wanted to take advantage of the sales potential in the 360 userbase.

I don't think disc spanning would be a deal breaker for FF. They've done it in the past and DVD's are cheap as dirt.

You've got a point with alternate FF titles per plat and that's a possibility. Perhaps they'll use 360 as a testbed to try concepts outside their regular userbase. Anything's possible but if they want easy money this gen (sooner rather than later) a 360 port of the existing game is a no-brainer unless there is an exclusivity agreement ($) with Sony.

LOL. What a great couple of sentences. You seem to believe they will match their top quality CGI ingame, and then tell people they're living in a fantasy world?

Pot, meet Kettle....

I think they've got a very good approximation going. Should I repost the pics? Of course they aren't going to reach it, but most of the internet is having spastic fits trying to figure what parts of the trailer are actually "real." Mission accomplished, I'd say.

CGI
final-fantasy-xiii-20060508032943465.jpg

White Engine (imagine quality isn't spectacular in this shot, oh well)
4.jpg

(just for fun)

RE5!!!

resident-evil-5-20050722055032234.jpg

(to be provacative)

Is the following image CGI? Real-time cutscene?

se01.jpg

Here is a BATTLE analogue:

8.jpg

The intriguing part? The CGI model and Real-time model have distinct looks...

hairyb0.jpg

The top left picture is the one from the CGI/cutscene. The middle and bottom left are pics of her head from the battle sequence. The large right picture is the CGI model. You be the judge! It's obviously the real-time hair model...

Oh, and another one to make it even more interesting:

Another CGI hair shot for reference:

ff135gg.jpg

se03.jpg

Again, real-time hair model. So, is it CGI or a touched up real-time scene? If you wonder about the quality differences between gameplay models and real-time cutscene models, check out some pics of FFXII or FFX.

MGS4 & FFXIII would have to be basically rebuilt for the 360.

Not likely to happen. MGS2 on Xbox was horrible enough.

So you're planning on waiting to purchase ps3 until FF is out? Good call as you might be able to save a bit if it launches same day on 360.;)

For that to happen, pigs would need to learn to fly and Cows would need to run 100 miles an hour. ;)

I'm waiting til MGS4/FF13 launches, then I'll buy my PS3. Got to admit though that I'm tempted to buy one earlier because of heavenly sword and lots of awesome games that are coming up for PS3. TGS can't come soon enough.

I think they've got a very good approximation going. Should I repost the pics? Of course they aren't going to reach it, but most of the internet is having spastic fits trying to figure what parts of the trailer are actually "real." Mission accomplished, I'd say.

CGI
final-fantasy-xiii-20060508032943465.jpg

White Engine (imagine quality isn't spectacular in this shot, oh well)
4.jpg

(just for fun)

RE5!!!

resident-evil-5-20050722055032234.jpg

(to be provacative)

Is the following image CGI? Real-time cutscene?

se01.jpg

Here is a BATTLE analogue:

8.jpg

The intriguing part? The CGI model and Real-time model have distinct looks...

hairyb0.jpg

The top left picture is the one from the CGI/cutscene. The middle and bottom left are pics of her head from the battle sequence. The large right picture is the CGI model. You be the judge! It's obviously the real-time hair model...

This is why so far I am sticking with a PS3. Nice find btw

Those FF-images are nice but we´re pretty much seeing about the same quailty with Mass Effect and this game is a Q1 2007 game..

mass-effect-4.jpg

mass6.jpg

Mass%20Effect.jpg

_----------

Then we have some people saying that PS3 will win just because it have MGS4 and FF as exclusive.. yeah, in Japan maybe but if we look at worldwide sales, at least Halo is a much better system seller than both of these (in the west).

And besides, there are bound to be other system sellers on 360 as well, that can help out a lot. Gears of War seems to be that kind of game, we will have Mass Effect in Q1 2007, BioShock, Alan Wake.. to name a few..

So, in my mind, every "exclusive" the PS3 has so far, 360 either matches it or exceeds it...

So, in my mind, every "exclusive" the PS3 has so far, 360 either matches it or exceeds it...

This is of course a matter of personal preferences, opinion and prediction.
We are also very very OT now.

Those FF-images are nice but we´re pretty much seeing about the same quailty with Mass Effect and this game is a Q1 2007 game..

http://www.mundogamers.com/images/imagenes/noticias/xbox360/mass-effect-4.jpg

http://www.tagames.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/mass6.jpg

http://s89728240.onlinehome.us/Images/Mass Effect.jpg
_----------

Then we have some people saying that PS3 will win just because it have MGS4 and FF as exclusive.. yeah, in Japan maybe but if we look at worldwide sales, at least Halo is a much better system seller than both of these (in the west).

And besides, there are bound to be other system sellers on 360 as well, that can help out a lot. Gears of War seems to be that kind of game, we will have Mass Effect in Q1 2007, BioShock, Alan Wake.. to name a few..

If you have shown me somehwere else these images and asked me if it was real time or CGI I would have told you that they may be real time.

On the other hand if you asked me about these FF images, I would have replied I doubt it.

These screens are very impressive but still far from those FF images IMO.

And one could just as easily say, and probably with more confidence given their track record that, there are bound to be other system sellers on the PS3 as well.

Why don't you just buy both?

How has this thread turned into a Final Fantasy discussion thread?

I don't think this comment coming from Kutaragi is uncharacteristic at all, especially given the circumstances.

For one, he obviously has to be pretty upset that the hold-up at another branch of Sony has caused his own project so much pain, grief, and embarrassment in terms of cost and delays.

Secondly, he probably has a sense that had he been picked for the CEO-ship, this whole Blu-ray ramp would not be a problem today (whether true or not). Kutaragi was responsible for a number of the more vanguard pushes in technology at Sony when he was in the position to be so, and after the fact he may see things as drifting, or promises left unfulfilled. The company as a whole has to be thankful for his push on the LCD TV front, among others.

Anyway I just think you have different focuses with different people at the top. Kutaragi is a true engineer, and obviously his focus is first-and-foremost on hardware; not to mention despite his analog roots, he is most certainly a 'digital' thinker, to put it in the context of the article. Stringer on the other hand brings a different style and focus, and frankly I think it's just a matter of trade-offs. What Stringer is doing now with the cost-cuts and the renewed focus on how media properties can be leveraged towards hardware sales is very necessary for the long-term health of the company. And for his part, I think Stringer is a 'digital' thinker as well.

Back