Direct Feed Heavenly Sword Screens (E3 build).

Eventhough I agree that the main character has improved between E3's, I must say that this picture doesn't really tell the whole story. The old one is lower resolution and looks much better in the original trailer than on this pic and there is more to this game than just the main character.

Do not judge anything by just seeing one picture.

Well normally I don’t post and critique screenshots, but seeing how others in this thread have set the tone, I felt compelled to throw in my two cents.

1. Overuse of Cloth Effects: While the cloth effects seem to be balanced for other characters in the scenes, cloth effects on the main character appear to be so overused that there’s little distraction whatsoever. I’m certain the X360 is capable of the same level of cloth effects as the PS3, but wisely tones down the effect with huge, huge benefits. You can see these excellent benefits in games like DOA4.

2. Minimal Thonging: I did notice some slight thonging occurring in some scenes, but I think if HS had toned down or preferably removed the cloth effects on the main character and replaced them with a little thonging it would have provided a lot more appeal to techies like me that are critical of the PS3’s next-gen capabilities.

3. Bust Mapping: Okay, this is probably the one thing that most concerns me. Did Sony totally drop the ball on this one? After tolerating fairly decent bump mapping in Tomb Raider on the PS2, I was literally salivating in anticipation of bust mapping support on the PS3. OMG HS, where is the bust mapping? The X360 is incorporating a ton of bust mapping to games like…well…DOA4. I have to assume that this is facilitated by the additional eDRAM on Xenos. If this is indeed the case then Sony totally hosed us. There’s absolutely no reason Sony couldn’t have added a little more silicone to improve bust mapping.

I’ll probably get flamed by Sony fan-bois for this post, but honestly can anyone tell me where I’m wrong on this?

-aldo

Well normally I don’t post and critique screenshots, but seeing how others in this thread have set the tone, I felt compelled to throw in my two cents.

Somebody please good rep this post for me as I can't do it myself.

1. Overuse of Cloth Effects: While the cloth effects seem to be balanced for other characters in the scenes, cloth effects on the main character appear to be so overused that there’s little distraction whatsoever. I’m certain the X360 is capable of the same level of cloth effects as the PS3, but wisely tones down the effect with huge, huge benefits. You can see these excellent benefits in games like DOA4.

2. Minimal Thonging: I did notice some slight thonging occurring in some scenes, but I think if HS had toned down or preferably removed the cloth effects on the main character and replaced them with a little thonging it would have provided a lot more appeal to techies like me that are critical of the PS3’s next-gen capabilities.

3. Bust Mapping: Okay, this is probably the one thing that most concerns me. Did Sony totally drop the ball on this one? After tolerating fairly decent bump mapping in Tomb Raider on the PS2, I was literally salivating in anticipation of bust mapping support on the PS3. OMG HS, where is the bust mapping? The X360 is incorporating a ton of bust mapping to games like…well…DOA4. I have to assume that this is facilitated by the additional eDRAM on Xenos. If this is indeed the case then Sony totally hosed us. There’s absolutely no reason Sony couldn’t have added a little more silicone to improve bust mapping.

I’ll probably get flamed by Sony fan-bois for this post, but honestly can anyone tell me where I’m wrong on this?

-aldo

so you dont like the fact that the player character isnt mostly nude and doesnt have huge breasts. Does the word womanizer mean anything to you? I have to ask because you put just enough effort and just enough seriousness into that crap that it seems totally real. If you're being serious, forgive me, but i'm going to call you a jackass. :LOL:

apparently there is hidden sarcasm that has gone over my head...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say I am not impressed, at all.

I think this is mainly do to the terrible (IMO) art direction.

- Hair, terrible.
- Arena floor texture is not to sharp and flat looking.
- Does this game only take place in this arena? I have only seen a few rogue shots of other areas.
- Why is the king looking so much better than other models? The chick looks terrible compared to the king.
- Are all of those baddies the same model?
- Where are shots from other areas of the game?
- Can that glowing trail be more smooth? It looks overly sharp.

Again, I really dislike the art direction, but I just do not see what is so impressive with this game. I think a lot of people here are jaded because some people who work on this game visit this forum.

Again, I really dislike the art direction, but I just do not see what is so impressive with this game. I think a lot of people here are jaded because some people who work on this game visit this forum.

Thats a nasty assumption to make. The majority may like it because they just like it.

Thats a nasty assumption to make. The majority may like it because they just like it.

I guess, I just find it hard to believe so when the games look worse than many other PS3 games I've seen yet people seem to be going crazy over it.

I guess, I just find it hard to believe so when the games look worse than many other PS3 games I've seen yet people seem to be going crazy over it.
Looks worse? :???:

I believe its one of the most beautiful games on any console and moany will agree with me as well as the majority if not all the media. You also compare this to DOA4 when usually in fighting games developers can pop in more character detail and cloth animation?

I can honestly say I am not impressed, at all.

I think this is mainly do to the terrible (IMO) art direction.

- Hair, terrible.
- Arena floor texture is not to sharp and flat looking.
- Does this game only take place in this arena? I have only seen a few rogue shots of other areas.
- Why is the king looking so much better than other models? The chick looks terrible compared to the king.
- Are all of those baddies the same model?
- Where are shots from other areas of the game?
- Can that glowing trail be more smooth? It looks overly sharp.

I still enjoy playing DOA4... :rolleyes:

I believe its one of the most beautiful games on any console and moany will agree with me as well as the majority if not all the media. You also compare this to DOA4 when usually in fighting games developers can pop in more character detail and cloth animation?

DOA4 is horrible looking also. I'd personally rather not fight with plastic dolls. Which is exactly what that game looks like.

HS suffers from the same terrible hair syndrome as DOA4.

DOA4 is horrible looking also. I'd personally rather not fight with plastic dolls. Which is exactly what that game looks like.

HS suffers from the same terrible hair syndrome as DOA4.
I am still amazed by how you grasp on minor details that dont even ruin the game's visual appeal. Especially if we take into consideration the genre/style of a game.

The screenshots are'nt the best thing since sliced bread without the amazing animation that the game actually has. I personally noted some strange AF issues or lack there of for such a small arena, and i too think the main character should have her poly count boosted. Since we also dont know the scale of the game, its easy for people to get the impression that this arena is the best the game has to offer which does make it seem less impressive then it may actually be. Toss in the size and scale of something like Shenmue or the large fights that happen in the Lotr games and then people will stop pointing out small graphic flaws because they would then know the engine is doing far more then just that small area. But based on only what we've seen in action, i find it really hard to critisize someones comments, good or bad. Some of the more impressive "graphics" we've seen, such as the waterfall off the path, have been from the introductions which look suspiciously like CGI movies or at best ingame rendered cutscenes.

Assassins Creed
Resistance
RE5
UT2k7

Just to name a few games that i personally am more impressed with thus far in terms of pure eye candy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back